1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PelicanDebrief] Asik Trade a Mistake for Pelicans?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Dec 28, 2014.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Darryl Morey has had worse success with low Lotto picks than many GMs that come to memory. I'm curious, why do some of you feel that he would do so much better with a 10-13th as opposed to a 14th?

He wasn't even willing to stick with the people he drafted at that position.

Patterson--->

Marcus Morris---->

White----->

That is an absolute disaster of picks.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Asik can be the talent to put around Davis. There's some risk he leaves, but you at least mitigate the risk of drafting a dud. That 1st round pick is of pretty mediocre value. Asik is a certified starting NBA center. Forgetting all that 3rd star liquidity, and pouting back-up stuff, I'd rather the Rockets had Asik than that mid-teen pick.

3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Parsons getting 15 mil, Asik get getting 15 mil and Lin getting 15 mil...Morey gets you paid

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Patterson was a good pick.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who did he pass on those years?

Patterson - let's see, Eric Bledsoe I guess? He's obviously a better player, and Hassan Whiteside, but neither of those guys were considered lotto picks and Whiteside was out of basketball for 2 years before he actually became good. Larry Sanders? who is currently out of basketball too for whatever reason?

Morris - Kawhi Leonard (but then, he got Chandler Parsons in that same draft...), Reggie Jackson? Kenneth Faried? Marginally better than Morris but both are flawed. I guess Nicola Vucecic, although he flipped Morris for space to sign Dwight Howard so....

Royce White was his worst pick ever, easily. Of course, the next best player drafted after White is probably Terrence Jones or Draymond Green who didn't go till the 2nd round anyway.

Disaster = taking Bowie over Jordan, Oden over Durant, Thabeet over Harden

This isn't remotely close. He got about as much value (and arguably more) as you'd expect out of those selections in a process that is heavily influenced by chance anyway.

Honestly - who does "come to memory"? A bunch one-pick sample sizes? GOSH DARN MURRAY HE NO GET MANU WAH WAH. Please.

#125 SamFisher, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. J Hard

J Hard Member

They have a great Coach, he is not the problem.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He might be due.

But besides that the pick might still play a role in a trade. Who knows.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

and he only took that fraud over zeller because he was fishing for a star and was ignoring all warnings of bust.

9. a711

a711 Member

Never fails to crack me up when used appropriately. Well done

10. CertifiedTroll

Well put. I still don't accuse White of being a bad pick. He just happened to be hiding his crazy.

11. delishman

delishman Member

King of the Hyperbole. Most late lottery picks don't end up hacking it in the NBA. PPatt is a solid starter and Morris is a rotation player.. better than average.

Royce White was not a lotto pick but I think we can all agree he was a sort of a unique case (putting it nicely).

We've been spoiled by comparing his lottery selections with his late pick gems.