1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PelicanDebrief] Asik Trade a Mistake for Pelicans?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Dec 28, 2014.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

LOL ... Omer. Tips in game tying bucket at the buzzer ... for the opposing team!

2. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Didnt something like that just happen in college too? What are the odds lol

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

God help Omer if the Pelicans wind up missing the playoffs by a single game.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

not intentional of course, right?

Omer wants to be traded

5. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

The ORtg and DRtg from http://www.basketball-reference.com/ are estimates. OffRtg and DefRtg from nba.com are calculated. Asik's OffRtg is 101.5(10th best on NOP) compared to team OffRtg of 105.8. Asik's ORtg is 114(5th best of NOP) compared to team ORtg of 108.8 Tell me which stat is more believable?

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Individual defensive rating even "calculated" is still not very meaningful without adjustment to teammates and opponents.

7. durvasa

They are describing different things. ORtg on basketball-reference.com is individual points produced (via scoring, assists, offensive boards) per possession used (via shot attempts, assists, turnovers). Asik is a low-usage player and he gets a good number of offensive boards and shoots only close to the basket. So, technically, he is more efficient individually. But he's still a major drag on the offense because defenses don't have to pay much attention to him and he doesn't really create shots for his teammates.

In contrast, NBA.com OffRtg is the team's offensive rating when Asik is on the floor.

8. baubo

baubo Member

The Rockets two years ago were a top 10 defense with Asik on the floor(overall they were 16th but they were terrible without him). That team feature some terrible defensive teammates. Only Beverley, who was still a rookie and wasn't nearly as effective on D as he became later, was any good. Everyone else was terrible.

I don't know too much about the Pelicans, but I can't imagine playing alongside Davis and Holiday isn't at least better than Beverley 2 years ago.

9. RocketTownHou

RocketTownHou Member

Coming at it from a slightly different angle: You think it has affected Asik's psyche that he was traded from a potential championship team to a so-so team? That he is not a center capable of helping a team to a championship? I do.
    We all knew he was no offense and some defense and could never handle the ball on offense.
    He's kinda like Joey Dorsey, but a better foul shooter. (Not so fast--Dorsey hit one of his foul shots last night--great upside)

10. durvasa

He was capable of helping us win a championship. He's is far, far better than Dorsey. He didn't want to be here, so he got what he wanted.

11. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I understand that, but my point is it's an estimate. It's like PER in a sense. Sometimes it's a useful but flawed stat to judge overall play. Asik doesn't play enough minutes so their "estimate" of his ORtg is inflated. We also know that Asik is a poor FT shooter and poor finisher @ the basket <.500 FG% so he really isn't efficient at all. Clearly the ORtg stat is flawed.

12. durvasa

Whether or not it is flawed really comes down to how one interprets its meaning. It is not literally a rating of the player's contributions on the offensive end. The name gives that impression, which is unfortunate, because even the person who originally came up with the stat doesn't describe it in that way. It is purely intended to describe how efficient a player is, but the threshold for acceptable efficiency from a player changes depending on their usage, which ORtg doesn't give you. Asik is an extremely low usage player who has good but not stellar efficiency. Put it together, and it indicates that he probably is not helping his team all that much on the offensive side of the ball.

13. roidrage

roidrage Member

I did not know when the Rockets got this guy he was such a crybaby I thought he was a blue collar guy apparently not

14. TheJet

TheJet Member

I lost all kinds of respect for Asik when he milked that "injury" here. As much as I liked his hustle and rebounding it was all for naught after that.

I will admit that I thought pairing him with Davis would give N.O. a monster defensive front court. It just goes to show that "on paper" doesn't always translate to on the court.

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Weren't we kinda desperate to get rid of him? I mean we had to give the Lakers a future first round pick to take Jeremy Lin's contract off of our hands. Why did they give us a 1st Round pick?

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because he doesn't suck like Jeremy Lin.

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

But it appears that he will also occasionally forget which team he is playing for.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It is a fairly 'monster' front court isn't it??

They are getting over 10rpg each, and over 30ppg combined.
    Sure, Omer isn't doing much on the offensive end, but was that why they got him? Didn't they get him for a big to play C and free Davis to play more 4? Davis was fairly poor defensively last season as a 5, and has improved somewhat this season at the 4.

They are on pace to win 20% more games than they did last season, it's been a solid add for them.

19. cebu

cebu Member

trading for a big man who can't finish a play underneatch the ring is just awfully bad.

20. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Really hope he doesn't go to a wcf playoff team next year. Him in portland would be scary.