1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PelicanDebrief] Asik Trade a Mistake for Pelicans?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Dec 28, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

it's because Asik is not worth more than 20 mpg. Everyone always thinks he's a 32 mpg player, and dream of his defense on the court that long. but his offense is so horrendous, no one actually leaves him on the court that long.

He started on NOLA getting about 25mpg, and he's falling off to 20mpg where Thibs always had him at.

2. heypartner

no...because when he was pouting he was benched. He missed so many games because of pouting.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thank you.

Asik is an outstanding 20 mpg backup. No more. He need realize that.

4. NotChandlerParsons

Who exactly expected the Pellies to put together a top 10 defense this season?

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He's still grabbing 10 boards in 26 minutes of play which has him at 4th in the league in rebounding per 48 minutes. Looking at his stats I don't see anything different than what he did here.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Parsons, Lin, and Asik: $45 Million worth of junk assets. Buyer beware.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I would like Asik back if he's willing to play back-up.

What do they expect from Asik anyway? Davis is carrying that team. Anderson is their stretch 4. They need better wing guys. Tyreke Evans is a bad player.

8. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Morey's Curse!

9. NotChandlerParsons

I haven't watched a whole lot of Pellies ball but I don't think there's really anything different at all. Good defensive center who can pull down plenty of offensive boards and set mean screens but you better have that "4-out 1-in" spacing if you want to play him 30+ mpg. Davis is going to be transcendent, but him, Evans, and whoever the Pellies are trying to pass off as a wing this week ain't gonna cut it.

10. heypartner

that's the point. he's doing nothing different, and will never be the 32+mpg C like his agent keeps telling everyone and new fans always want to believe.

Also, it looks like he's starter to fall off to 20ppg.

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Asik's bad hands are an issue. Even if he doesn't want real offensive touches, he needs to be able to catch and finish.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Asik was fine as a starter with the Rockets at 30 mpg. There were times that Asik was gassed for the Rockets, but the Rockets also played a tough pace. I suspect Asik and Davis may be having similar problems as the TT did in Houston. Guards are rebounding so poorly that the rebounding of Davis and Asik is negated.

Offensively, they have huge spacing problems. Asik and Tyreke should not be in the game together much with Davis. Considering that Tyreke and Asik are two of their best players, that's a roster construction problem. Ryan Anderson having a horrible year shooting isn't helping, either.

Based on their roster, Holiday, Tyreke, Anderson, and Davis should be playing a lot of minutes and Asik just doesn't fit in for many minutes with those guys. Personally, Tyreke is needed for offense right now, but don't see him meshing with better players when he has the ball less. Pelicans need some wings that can punish teams for clogging the middle for Davis.

Asik is best suited for a team with a star wing or PG. He's not going to be able to play 36 mpg, but he's capable of more than 20 mpg on right team.

#52 Joe Joe, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Asik is a role player......he needs the right situation to succeed.

I actually really like the Asik/Davis/Anderson frontcourt. There's no legitimate reason why that group shouldn't work well together.

The problem with New Orleans are the investments they've made at wing and guard.

Noel and a 1st for Jrue on a non-rookie contract? Overpaid.
    Tyreke for $11 million a year? Overpaid.
    Matching Gordon's $13-14 million/year contract? Terrible decision.
    Drafting Austin Rivers? Bad pick.

They haven't done anything right in their backcourt for the last 4+ years. Like Simmons said, it's a marathon.......not a sprint. They were too eager to put together a winning team. They can salvage this wreck by the end of Davis' 1st unrestricted free agency, but my guess is they continue to make bad decisions and Davis walks 5-6 years from now.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Would be hilarious if we took him back for a 2nd round pick.

15. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I have seen roughly 15 Pelican games this season.

Anthony Davis is the best young player in the NBA by a wide margin, and he is one of the top 5 players in the NBA overall, but his actual defense is not as great as some assume based on the blocks and rebounds. He tends to leave his man and free lance, and that causes everyone else scramble to defend and it also really limits Asik as a defender.

Also don't forget that there are a number of other players on the Pelicans that do not defend at all.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

17. baubo

baubo Member

I don't understand this post. We've SEEN Asik being (A) a 30mpg player and (B) being a defensive beast for that long. We don't even have to watch anything but Rockets games to know that. It happened 2 years ago.

2 years ago, Rockets defense at 104 with Asik.This year with Pelicans defense at 109 with Asik. This despite 2 years ago, the Rockets played with a squad that could not stop my grandmother without Asik. This year, the Pelicans have Anthony Davis and still let everyone score on them.

It's one thing to say Asik has sucked this year. This is true. But to say he doesn't have what it takes to be a top center is wrong. He showed that two years ago. For whatever reason, he's not showing it now.

1 person likes this.
  18. baubo

baubo Member

I'm not sure if anyone said top 10, but certainly many thought they'd be quite good defensively. Take for example this thread.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=256754

I'll admit I thought their defense would be average with Asik. I'm clearly wrong, but I'm not sure why that's the case. The Rockets were putting up top-10 defensive numbers with Asik playing with the likes of Delfino/Parsons/Harden/Lin. I can't imagine Pelicans players being worse than that.

19. heypartner

Who said anything about him not being able to play 30mpg if all anyone cared about was defense. But that's not all that everyone cares about. The dude is not worth 25mpg, because of his horrendous offense. I say closer to 20mpg for NOLA.

No one has played Asik for >30mpg except the Rockets who promised him that.

He's not a starter.

But Cole Aldrich was on that team.

20. baubo

baubo Member

The Rockets were the 6th best offense with him 2 years ago. So clearly he can succeed in a top offense.

Indeed. The Rockets had Cole Aldrich and ranked 16th in defense. The Pelicans this year has Anthony Davis and ranks 26th on defense. So clearly there's something beyond Asik.