1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PelicanDebrief] Asik Trade a Mistake for Pelicans?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe his stock will get so low that we could take him back as a backup!

2. haydenfisher342

a testament on how this organization continues to produce quality players. Everyone hears about our players and once they leave Houston they are never heard of again....except for Lowry....and dragic...but thats it!

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I thought they'd be a playoff team with Asik. The season ain't over though!

4. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Doubt they make the playoffs with a healthy OKC team. Once Durant comes back, the Thunder are going to sky up to the 8th seed or even the 7th

5. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

Aaron Brooks is doing a pretty good job in Chicago now too after a few rough years. Much needed offense off the bench and is allowed to shoot as much as he wants.

6. scottie brooks

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've always felt that Tyreke is the Rudy Gay of PGs. Inefficient volume shooter who make the team worse also by not playing much defense.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's even worse

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

People also wonder why Dwight can't improve his offense.

I'm not sure what New Orleans thought they were getting in Asik if they are unhappy with him. He is what he is. He rebounds, he plays defense, he has hands of stone.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Haven't watched enough Pelicans games to really know. Yeah, I know, we are all supposed to love Anthony Davis, also having to watch guys like Tyreke, Rivers and Gordon takes the interest level down a notch.

Anyhow, I am suspecting that this is a matter of poor fit and suboptimal use compared to the role that Asik had as a starter in Houston. Asik is still putting up boxscore numbers, especially rebouding, at the same level that he always does. But the +/- type numbers (adjusted or raw) say otherwise, and it looks like he been losing minutes in recent games. Maybe that's all NOP wants him to do-- get enough minutes to save Anthony Davis from the punishment of playing center full time before unleashing the floor spacing with Ryan Anderson.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Pretty much this. Looking at his individual numbers, he appears to be the exact same player he was here. All that has changed is his teammates.

He will never be anything offensively, bad hands are bad hands. If they weren't prepared for that it was a stupid trade.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Been saying asik was overrated here for a few years.

No surprise here.

13. haydenfisher342

From Morey himself "Asik is a top 5 center in the league" now hes gone hes garbage?

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Omer Asik has consistently been a major positive on his teams defense, and a minor negative on offense. He is a great defensive player and rebounder and from the center position that is extremely valuable.

I doubt that he has lost that explosive athleticism :grin:, so any struggles he may be having is a result of something the Pelicans are doing wrong utilizing him. He has deficiencies on offense, so you have to gameplan accordingly, which us and the Bulls found a way to do.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Asik went from 7th in DRAPM for all players last year to 91st this year.

I suppose it's possible he declined suddenly. But we know there coaching and FO is bad, so I'll blame that.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Morey was talking up an asset he was going to trade. This is good business.

As Rockets fans, we know Asik is moody. When he decides to play hard and leave it all on the floor, he's effective (if limited). But when the passion isn't there, he's a chump. After Asik pouted last year in Houston, I wouldn't trust him with long-term security if I was a team.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Even pouting his defensive xrapm was a spectacular + 4.24 last season.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Never said he was garbage. I said here he was overrated.

19. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I really thought Asik was the perfect fit for NOs.

They have PLENTY of offensive minded, 0 defense players. I figured them going 4 on 5 on offense wouldn't hurt them much and Davis/Asik guarding the rim would make them an easy top 10 defense.

I have to believe it's bad coaching, if Sac can make Rudy Gay work, NOs should have no issue making Reke, Holliday, Davis work when 1 guy doesn't even want the ball on offense.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

oops double response