1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peja Novakic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ooliverb1, May 23, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Jesus chirst, this is the kind of superficiality I have a problem with on this BBS. The skill set that Peja had was light years better than anything Novak has. Peja could indeed put the ball on the floor, had a quick release, etc etc etc. You guys just see one player and then make a ridiculous comparison. If it were that easy then Matt Bullard would be Larry Bird, Ryan Bowen would be John Havlicek, Chuck Hayes would be Wes Unseld.............etc.

Novak looked woefully inadequate from game 1, in which he was the first player off the Rockets bench, through game 82 this season. He looked exactly like what he is and was: a second round pick who is an absolute long shot to have anythng more than a cup of coffee. He was as one dimensional as advertised if not worse. Now you guys are comparing him to a several time all star (who was a MUCH, MUCH better player in nearly every facet of the game). You guys need to realize how hard it is to make it in the NBA.

#21 SamFisher, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, shame on you Rocket fans for hoping a player develops into something beneficial for the home team.

SHAME !

:rolleyes:

DD

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

For accuracy's sake, shouldn't it be "Novakovic"?

4. foo82

foo82 Member

Couldn't the same be said about Luther Head? I mean the only thing he has for him is our lack of pg and his 3pointer.

5. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Sure :D

6. DaDakota

Just for giggles:

Peja's stats

Peja's rookie year:

FG% .378
    3pt% .320

Steve Novak's stats

FG% .360
    3pt% .333

Peja played a LOT more during his rookie year, but still fun to see the %'s are not that far off. And no, I am not saying he will become Peja.....but one can hope.

DD

#26 DaDakota, May 23, 2007
  7. SamFisher

*******, DaDakota, I thought you would have taken the hint from about half the BBS (at least those of us above the age of 12) when your "olive branch" gloating thread blew up so badly in your face that even your shallow, dimly perceptive mind must have at least registered it.

You can hope and pray all you want that Steve Novak reduces carbon emission, but ridiculous superficial analysis (of the type you specialize in) like this just simply impedes rational discourse. Of course it is a basketball BBS so this is no great tragedy on the scale of say, Darfur, and of course people are entitled to harbor stupid opinions, but if the reasoning is rank and degrades the quality of the board, best to have little of it. That's actually why people want you to stop posting.

8. SamFisher

Ok, I will say the same thing for Luther Head.

Luther Head is like a shorter blacker Peja Stojankovic.

Wow that was fun.

Let me go through the whole roster and do this

Spanoulis = Steve Nash + Ginobili
    Head = short black Stojankovic
    Alston = Taller Mugsy Bogues with better passing
    Juwan HOward = A shorter Juwan Howard
    Snyder = Micheal Jordan in less baggy shorts
    Bonzi Wells = Mel Turpin but skinnier
    Chuck Hayes = Antoine Carr with Karl Malone's work ethic
    Dikembe Mutumbo = Defensive minded Thurl Bailey
    Yao MIng = Just like Steve Francis, but 7-6 and Chinese
    Novak = taller whiter sotjankovic
    Tracy McGrady = Jesus Shuttlesworth
    Shane Battier = Wierd Shaped Luther Head

wow that was fun.

#28 SamFisher, May 23, 2007
  9. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I didn't find that particularly funny :confused:

Wait! What about Dirk's rookie year? I think he sucked too...

10. DaDakota

You are such a prince, honestly a real gem....[sarcasm]such a welcome addition to the board[/sarcasm], how is it that you are consistently wrong ...well at least you are consistenly classless in your posts.

Sam, I never said he would develop into Peja, just pointing out that you are sort of being a Debbie Downer, why not just hope he does develop into an NBA player.

I think he will benefit from Adelman & his system, it fits his type of game, and I HOPE he develops into a Peja tupe of player but you are correct in that the odds of that are REALLY stacked against him.

It is personal attacks like this that keep me going Sam, you are my inspiration. I think you need to look in the mirror before you start talking about people complaining about posting styles or lack of substance.

DD

#30 DaDakota, May 23, 2007
  11. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Novak is going to rock next year under adelman. It's going to be nice to finally have a bench!! :D

12. SamFisher

Once again, DaDakota with the "everybody must admit I am right so we can be friends"

You tried this yesterday, remember? It backfired on you rather amusingly. Now take your own advice and just shut up. I mean there's a whole active thread in GARm, started by you, with several well written pages worth of html detailing how your posts suck. Can you just give it a rest like you hinted you would?

13. DaDakota

Again you extrapolate out to the Nth degree to paint your adversary in a negative light.....I don't care if you think I am right....I haven't said anything in here about what I think Novak will become.

EDIT: Forget it, I am not going to get drawn into another pointless argument....which is all you want.

I hope Novak develops and believe Adelman's system fits his game better....we shall see.

It is much better to hope players develop......and get a fair shake.....I mean once a player has a bad rookie year...he NEVER recovers.... :rolleyes:

DD

#33 DaDakota, May 23, 2007
  14. SamFisher

LMFAO, you edited the thread to say you didn't want to argue, then you edited again to argue but left the didn't want to argue part in. Was it a fake edit? You can tell me.

And I don't feel like looking up whatever stupid thing you said about Novak because making you look ridiculous is old news now.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

the title deserves 5 stars

classic :D

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't about what we hope he becomes. I hope Spanoulis is better than Tony Parker, John Lucas III becomes Allen Iverson. I hope Chuck Hayes is Dennis Rodman without the eccentricity.

The fact of the matter is, Peja was and is a lot more talented than Novak. He was drafted top 15 even though the Kings were limited in their knowledge of him and knew he couldn't even come to the NBA for 2 years. That right there should tell you something.

As for Peja not being fast or a good defender -- he's deceptively good at both, certainly relative to Novak. He's not going to blow by anyone, but he has a passable enough floor game to punish those who play up on him. He's also extremely good at using his length on defense, and is at least a passable rebounder.

I think Novak has a chance to develop into a decent roleplayer, as you would hope for most guys picked at the top of the 2nd round. But hoping for a starter, much less an all-star is setting yourself up for failure.

17. DaDakota

Nike,

I agree with you about Peja, and I don't see anyone in the thread saying he will become Peja.

People like Sam Fisher just come in blasting away without reading the posts.

I just hope that Novak can do some of the things Peja does like coming off of curls and nailing the jumper, and moving without the ball.

If he can do that, he can help the team.

That's all.

DD

#37 DaDakota, May 23, 2007
  18. SamFisher

Withe the exception of the title and all the people in the thread saying he can become Peja, this is 100% correct. It reminds me of the times when you were not comparing Spanoulis and Steve Nash, you were just pointing out all the ways in which they were similar and the things they had in common.

19. DaDakota

The thread title? Which is a little play on words, which should clue you in to the levity. And again, point out ONE SINGLE POST in here that says he will become Peja, you can read, right? Most people are saying he is not like Peja at all.

But what would be wrong with people wanting to discuss Novak's potential or upside? How would that hurt this BBS in ANY way?

Yeah because it is impossible for player A to have a few attributes of Player B without being completely like him.

I mean, how could any two players be completely different in style but have one or more similar abilities that can be discussed by fans...that would NEVER fly in Sam's black and white world.

YAWN

:rolleyes:

#39 DaDakota, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 24, 2007
  20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

that was hilarious. good stuff.

spanoulis = kobe + tony parker

signed, CD.