1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peavy says he'd waive no-trade clause to be Astro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by vstexas09, Oct 17, 2008.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6064564.html

In what Jake Peavy says will be the first and only time he’ll discuss possible trade rumors, the San Diego Padres’ ace righthander told the Houston Chronicle he’d definitely wave his no-trade clause to join his friend Roy Oswalt with the Astros.

Peavy said the Padres have already approached him and mentioned some teams that have inquired about him this month. The Astros, he said, weren’t one of the teams that were mentioned to him by Padres officials.

But Oswalt has been lobbying Peavy hard during their hunting trip together in Michigan.

"When I talk to Roy, we understand the importance of pitching," said Peavy, who mentioned the Padres’ and Astros’ recent winning teams were led by strong pitching staffs. "I think he wants some established pitching help. Not saying they don’t have established pitching, but obviously he’s lobbying me (saying), ‘Hey, man, would you waive your no-trade to play in Houston?’ and ‘certainly,’ I tell him."

Astros general manager Ed Wade doesn’t discuss trade possibilities. But Padres general manager Kevin Towers acknowledged to the San Diego Union-Tribune earlier this month that Wade inquired about Peavy last July before landing Randy Wolf from San Diego.

The trade proved to be a crucial move for the Astros, helping them finish with the National League’s best record after the All-Star break. The Wolf deal also left an impression on Peavy.

"I think Houston would be one of the teams I would like to play for," Peavy said. "Obviously I have a good friend in Roy who pitches over there. Houston is one of those teams that makes a conscious effort to win every year. When you guys (the Astros) traded for Randy Wolf, you guys were actually farther back in the division race than we were in our division.

"That says a lot about your commitment to winning. The Astros have a team owner (Drayton McLane) who is passionate about winning. Houston would probably be a team that I’d most like to be with if I had to be traded."

Peavy said he is adamant that he has never asked the Padres to trade him. Moreover, he indicated that he signed his recent contract extension with the Padres because he believed they were committed to winning.

Oswalt and Peavy are hunting together in Michigan, where they co-own a hunting ranch.

"Roy killed a nine-point (buck)," Peavy said. "I haven’t yet, but we still have some more days here."

Oswalt has made it clear to Wade and McLane that he’d like to have Peavy on the team.

And he predicted the Astros would reach the playoffs next season if they’d land Peavy this winter.

2. conquistador#11

I'm not into hunting, but roy should take peavy to the RGV so they can shoot rattlesnakes. we need peavy and the padres need a clutch hitter that still has plenty in the tank...tejada. =)

3. DPballer

DPballer Member

It's time. :eek: :cool:

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i think hunter pence would do well?

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I have a feeling Peavy will be an Astro

6. DPballer

DPballer Member

Since we'd be acquiring Peavy via trade, we could still sign another pitcher if it's worth it.

Oswalt
    Peavy
    Wandy
    Wolf
    ?????

????? could be a FA like Garland, or it could be Moehler, Backe, Paulino, etc. If I had to guess, it would be Moehler.

That would be a solid rotation. Now we just need a starting catcher and some more depth.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i will be pleasantly surprised if that's the case.

8. msn

msn Member

Sign Hampton. Then you get a pitcher *and* a pinch-hitter. :D

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

you guys are kidding yourselves if you think we have enough to trade for peavy.

10. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Oswalt and Peavy as a 1-2 punch would definitely help bolster the Astros pitching staff. Unfortunately the Astros probably can't match what the Padres want in return.

11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I think I have to agree with this, but it doesn't hurt to dream. I'd love it if they could somehow make it work.

12. yobod

yobod Member

I just don't think the Astros are going to be willing to part ways with any offense that they have, and I have always been of the impression that any pitching help we do get would come via free agency. Peavy would command a LOT of young talent of which we have none.

13. DPballer

DPballer Member

Pence, Wiggy, and prospects for Peavy and Giles.

14. MadMax

Pence and Valverde for Jake.

They turn Valverde around for prospects from a 3rd team.

I have no idea who our closer is.

15. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Find somebody else besides Pence.

16. MadMax

I love Hunter Pence. Good player.

I wouldn't let him stop me from acquiring Jake Peavy.

17. DPballer

DPballer Member

If we can get Giles from that trade, that would be awesome. I think Giles is significantly better than Pence offensively, but his net numbers may allow us to get him in the package. Giles OBP and OPS is higher than Pence's and he was playing in Petco. We need more on base guys like him.

I'm also willing to add Wandy in that package if we're willing to get a FA pitcher like Garland to replace him.
    I don't see Wade trading him one year after acquiring him. He needs to stay anyway, because a lot of our wins last year were close games. That's why he led the league in saves. If he's gone, I agree. I have no freakin idea who would close.

18. MadMax

I still don't think I'd let that stand in the way of acquiring a Cy Young caliber starting pitcher.

19. DPballer

DPballer Member

But without a reliable closer, his starts could be wasted like some of Santana's starts with the Mets.

I don't think we need to give up Val to get Peavy. Pence, Wiggy, Wandy, and prospects should be enough for Peavy and Giles.

20. MadMax

no question...i think it's worth the gamble, though. particularly since he's locked up through 2013. i'd say the mets were better with santana than without him...and i'd say the same would be true for the 'stros, even sans valverde.

i don't think they'd take pence, wiggy and wandy for peavy...i don't think that's enough for a pitcher of that quality who is locked up for that long.