1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC] So... A Diablo 3 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Acedude, Aug 1, 2011.

1. REA

REA Contributing Member

Think this will add more excitement and suffering to Hardcore mode. Spend 50 bucks decking out your toon only to lose it to a random lag spike.

2. alethios

alethios Member

This may have been asked before, but my curiousity is getting the better of me: did our own Deckard of CF fame get his name from the main character of Diablo? Deckard, are you a Diablo fan too?

3. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Stay a while... and listen...

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Looks pretty good, but I will prob wait until the price drops like next year.

5. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

My name is Deckard Cain
    And I come from Tristam
    If you're looking for Diablo
    Well, you just missed 'em!

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

To answer a few if the questions.

1 a better way to state the SP issue it will not have an offline mode like d2. You can play SP but will have to be connected to b.net to do so. That is pretty much how I played D2 anyway.

2 I haven't made up my mind on RMT yet. I am leaning towards being okay with it as long as I can choose not to mess with it if I don't want to.

3. Loot is individual. You will only see what drops for you and no one can ninja that.

4. The skill point change I think may turn out to a positive. It theoretically gets away from the cookie cutter builds and let's people try different builds with different situations. Allowing easier changes let's you change on the fly (currently you can't change during boss fights but can any other time). They are opening up some ways to really change up your character even if it isn't the most viable (caster barbs and battlemages)

5. Deckard got his name from a different pop culture icon I believe.

I think the most disappointing thing for me is there is no paladin class. I'm going to be stuck with the monk or barb most likely.

7. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

The new simplified system does make it easier for players to try different builds than previously, but I think it takes away a lot of the choices players make too. There's a fine line between too many choices and too few, and I think D3 is getting closer to the latter than the former. Even within the new system, there will be cookie cutter builds, where a combination of spells will be deemed "optimal", so the change doesn't exactly give players "more" choices, but simply making it "easier" to change your choices. Fundamentally, RPG is all about min/maxing stat and skill points, where you have a finite number of resources, and you have to allocate it after careful considerations. Even cookie cutter builds have variations depending on a player's play style (exactly how many points in Static Field are enough for a Sorc?). How you're specced used to be a part of your character identity, and now that's been completely eliminated.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no necromancer?!

9. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

Wanted to highlight a couple of the more important points as it seems many folks dont quite understand how this game is going to work.

Also... I may mention that you can have a total of 10 characters. All of which will be saved on Battle.net. This will keep people from boosting their character offline and then bringing them online and ruining the game for the non-cheating folks. (As is what happened in D2.)

Thanks to Castor27 for the original post.

10. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I believe the witch doctor is essentially the necromancer. Monk is essentially the paladin. Different names, different skills, but they'll resemble them slightly.

11. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

witch doc is basically a necro
    wizard is basically a sorc
    demon hunter is a hybrid of assassin/amazon
    monk somewhat like a paladin, less resemblance than others

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

So if my Internet connection goes out (happens at least once a week with Comcast), I can't play single player? That is the stupidest thing that I've ever heard. I was really excited about this game, but this online-only crap may deter me from buying it.

13. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Who plays single player anyways?

Half the fun of D2 was about the economy and trading for better items. I guess it's still better to have that option of playing offline but for those who have only played single player, I think you guys will have a lot more fun online interacting with other players, PvPing, and doing quest together.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but the witch doctor doesnt sound near as cool, nor look as menacing

15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

OK, this was funny:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/ars-guide-how-to-ruin-your-pc-port-in-five-easy-steps.ars

16. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I wanted them to keep the religious one Black, but we can't all have it our way :(

17. dback816

dback816 Member

I think they said HC won't have real currency AH

18. Acedude

From their Q2 earning report:

-No beta date, but will be in Q3
    -No release date, still says pushing for 2011 (but all signs pointing to an early '12 release)

:mad::mad::mad:

19. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

beta will last 6 months... so 2012 most likely

we've waited this long... may as well get it right

Say what you will about Blizzard's deal with Activision, but unlike Activision, they don't rush to release a refresh every year

20. Acedude

I like how for the Activision's report, every other word was either "callofduty" or "modernwarfare". And something about a Spyro game in there.

Though on the Blizzard presentation slide, it did say something along the lines of "pushing hard to release in 2011." A little ambivalent about that statement.