1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    EAST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the Pacers avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[PC Gaming NEWB Question] GTA V on steam vs non steam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, May 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My buddy bought GTA V for his PC two days ago on steam.

I want to buy it off cdkeys.com since they have stand alone game for $49 and a bundle with 1.3mill in cash or w/e for like $55. Anyone know if I can still play with my buddy even though he has it on Steam and I do not? I know they have their own little social club thing, but not sure if that is how the games are connected? Please help me with this newb question.

Thanks in advance!

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You can, the game is hosted on the Rockstar servers. The Steam social thing just means you can directly talk to other Steam users via the Steam overlay/chat.

3. LCAhmed

But BREH, the achievments!

Are achievements worth another $10-15?

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's for you to decide, breh. How much bigger will your D get?

I know my D got 10 inches bigger after unlocking all achievements on Mass Effect and doctors hate it. But does it work for GTA V?
    Wanna know more? Follow the link and buy the game at TizzleScam.com/DoctorsHateThisGuy

1 person likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

Where does one steam? I want to start getting into more pc games. I usually just shoot natzis and zombies with a little assassin's creed. Oh and the batman games. recommendations please.

I tried the NBA2ks but they're not as fun as when I was young, where I could play out the entire 82 game schedule in a week.

1 person likes this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Steam is just a GUI which holds everything related to gaming. It is pretty much the essential tool for any PC gamer. Here are the things that make it awesome:
    1.) Everything is integrated and user friendly
    2.) You can see your friends, what they, own, what they play, and an easy in game chat feature.
    3.) The store has a wishlist feature which will email you when games go on sale.
    4.) The review system shows how many hours the reviewer has actually played the game.
    5.) Auto patching
    6.) Store license rights, so you can install/uninstall without having to keep track of keys.
    7.) Its not brand specific
    8.) They have old games, not just all the new stuff

http://store.steampowered.com/

1 person likes this.
  7. LCAhmed

LMFAO!

Still on the fence on whether or not to buy on Steam for an extra $10-15 for integration and achievements. I'd hate to cheap out and not be able to play with friends, which doesn't seem to be an issue since it's via rockstar social club.

1 person likes this.
  8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Many online game vendors still offer a "Steam key" that you then just redeem on Steam. Green Man Gaming, GoG and Humble Bundle all usually offer Steam keys.

Even if you have a game that you don't buy steam, you can "add it" to Steam so it shows up in your Steam list and has the Steam overlay.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

1 person likes this.
  9. LCAhmed

Yes I read up on that for this particular game since so many vendors are doing it through rockstar codes.

I also went ahead and took the plunge. It's a 60gb game! I also bought Bioshock for $2.25, Civ V for like $3.5 and 2k15 for $20. I went on a bit of a spree. It looks like I'll slowly have no reason for a console!

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Breh. Don't pay a premium for achievements.

Also. You don't need it to play with friends. Save the money for a box of the finest tissues at Costco to wipe your tears with when the Clippers come into town on Tuesday.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Those online deals are addicting, I know. :(