1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC GAMES 2015] Whats everyone playing?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Aug 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You just reminded me, I need to set up my download for Metal Gear.....got it free with my 970 FTW+

2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Do you really still play?

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I'm with you on Witcher 3.

I played DA:I for a while. I actually enjoyed the MP part of it, although it was pretty repetitive. I play Tera right now. Really enjoy it, but the grind at endgame is no joke, and the community as a whole is wow...unbearable and elitist at times. Join a friendly guild, and it's a lot better.

I'm just killing time waiting for The Division.

4. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

5. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

read about the division just yesterday...looks good. but not out until what march 2016...damn

6. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

downloaded rocket league last night. fun game...games are quick, can hop in an out, its perfect. though i need to get a controller i think...i suck trying to steer with the keyboard.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

On and off. With the movie in production, I had to pick it up again.

In the 'off' time, I was playing Dota I anyways. Ironic, kinda. And it's never really truly 'off'. I always slip in a game or 2, or a custom campaign.

8. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Dragon Age Inquisition and recently went back and replayed Diablo 3

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I've been playing a lot of NBA2k15

10. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Nice. I love to pop in every now and again and jump into 4s RT or a solo.

1 person likes this.
  11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I've played Dota for over a decade and can easily say it's my favorite game of all time. It originated as a custom map in Starcraft called Defense of the Ancients then was ported over as a Warcraft 3 map. I started off playing it when it was a Warcraft 3: TFT map around patch 5.84b. Somewhere along the lines then map editor Guinsoo left and Icefrog took over. Back then Dota was extremely unbalanced but was still a lot of fun if only because there were so many viable heroes to play that for the most part had really fun gameplay and synergy when playing online in a 5v5 match.

Icefrog gradually fixed all of that and revamped the game in many ways that created balance in the game. He would routinely do patch updates and would have volunteer playtest crews check for any bugs on the map or gameplay balance issues. He did this all for free for a number of years even after former Dota map editor Guinsoo took part in startup game League of Legends along with Pendragon. Icefrog was offered a position with League of Legends, was briefly employed before running into issues with their approach to the game. Eventually he was snagged up by Valve and then Dota 2 was announced with improved graphics but still the same gameplay feel as it's predecessor. It really succeeded at that and when it was announced that there would be an International tournament where there was a $1.6 million dollar prize pool, it really forced other e-sport companies to throw them in the money tournament mix with games like CS:GO, Starcraft 2, and League. But it also established a competitive atmosphere within the game. There are many smaller money tournaments that happen year round until next year's International. Their smaller prize pools ($50k-300k prizes) have actually grown as a result of the game's growing popularity as well.

The First International had a $1.6 million prize pool. The second year was the same. The third went up to $2.8 million prize pool. The Fourth International escalated up to $10.9 million prize pool. And on it's 5th International, it generated enough compendium buys to have a $18 million prize pool.

No other game has come close to generating that type of revenue where a portion of ticket purchases goes to the actual prize pool.

Gameplay has only gotten better as more balance patches come out and new heroes are ported over from the original. Also it's free to play. You can play all of the heroes in the game without needing to purchase one unlike League of Legends and Heroes of the Storm where they give you a small pool of heroes that are free to play for that week unless you purchase a hero or grind enough to earn in-game currency. Someone who purchases a unique skin for a specific hero doesn't gain any stats or abilities as a result of the purchase in Dota 2.

Heroes of the Storm is kinda like Dota 2 in that it's a 5v5 match but gameplay is completely different. I would say it's the casual player's MOBA where you have to complete objectives in order to win that doesn't always involve you physically damaging the enemy base. League is much more competitive HotS but it lacks the little game play mechanics that make Dota 2 the more dynamic type of game in my opinion. It's a fun game in it's own right though.

TLDR: Dota 2 is best game in the world. It's been really interesting to see it rise as a custom map from Warcraft 3 into it's own game. It's just one map that makes up the entirety of the game with 100+ unique heroes to make each match you play different than before. With the International being divided up into 4 separate Major Tournaments hosted by Valve as of now, there should be more competitive matches seasonally instead of annually like it's former format. It's maybe the one game right now where if you heard your 13 year old kid say s/he wants to be a competitive Dota 2 player and you find out s/he's actually good, you should encourage him/her to go for it.

#51 London'sBurning, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  12. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

thanks for the write up london...thats pretty neat.

i actually downloaded some game on the xbox one last night called smite...i think thats kind of the same thing right, MOBA game...played that for like 15 minutes and i was done with it. again just way too much involved...was lost half the time.

it looks fun if you can dedicate the time to it...but i'm not sure i want or have the time too do that. also teamwork is pretty heavily involved right? tough to play with randoms online if you don't talk/communicate

13. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

is GTA online a separate game from GTA V...or do you buy them as one? seems interesting...kind of cool you can race, do heists, or do basically a free for all type match.

game got great reviews too...i haven't touched a GTA game since the PS1 days.

14. London'sBurning

Dota 2 has built in mic chat and custom keys to communicate to your allies when an enemy has left your lane or when you want to coordinate a gank on an enemy which I like. Also like that it has a mute function for the people that abuse those communication lines.

The gaming community in Dota 2 could certainly be nicer and it does have a fairly steep learning curve compared to most games. I got into it when I used to play vanilla WoW and my former guild mates would have me queue with them to play Dota sometimes. It took me a good few months to finally get good enough to play with just a few of the heroes but once you figure out the mechanics and what each hero is capable of, it can really be a fun game.

Smite is a game similar to Dota 2 but I've never played it. I know they have a competitive scene though as well. Another MOBA is Heroes of Newerth. For a brief bit before Dota 2 came out, a lot of Dota 1 players migrated there because it tried to keep the same gameplay feel as Dota 1 but it just never caught on like League did and the game developers didn't have a clue how to balance heroes and gameplay mechanics out.

Here's a funny gamecast of a replay of 190 MMR players. There's a 1 MMR (lowest rank possible in the game) in this match.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EOPgJMnvdrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Contrast that with the best of the best at the 2015 International.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jEAKdKzDfb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ElXGllTpp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UjZYMI1zB9s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's actually still fun at the lowest levels surprisingly up to highest skill cap and you can tell a good player from a bad one without even having to know much about how the game is played (although it certainly helps.)

#54 London'sBurning, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  15. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Great short history on Dota. Lets play sometime, what's your steam name?

16. London'sBurning

http://steamcommunity.com/id/PastelAssassin/

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/9272251

Stuck in low priority for 3 more matches. Video card crapped out in the middle of a match and waiting on replacement to come in the mail tomorrow afternoon. Sucks because I had a decent 7 game win streak going with Legion Commander. I think I had a winning percentage with her around 35% when I was first learning how to play her and different builds to experiment with. Steadily been climbing her up to almost 50% win rate though.

17. jbasket

jbasket Member

DOTA is the ish. Did y'all play when heartstone would give y'all 2 hp and mana regen/sec for every stack? Unbalanced :D

Oh yea, for sure.

18. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

Witcher 3 (Best RPG in the past decade IMO)
    Dota2 (Getting stuck in 2.9K MMR sucks balls)
    CS 1.3 (Yeah, 1.3)

Wanted to play GTA V but my old rig can't handle it due to the ridiculously high CPU usage.

19. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

anyone?

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Online is a free addition to the game. It's fun, basically 40 man servers, where you can do anything. Missions, heists, racing, impromptu racing (honk on the road way to initiate racing vs the guy next to you etc....).

Highly recommend giving it a try. The game is incredibly vast.