1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

pc game...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Anybody played Deus Ex? If so, how do you like it?

I have to say that I love this game. It is action-packed and cuts in to the action with cinematics(although the cinematics and character scenes are like a poorly dubbed foreign martial arts film). It has a well thought out plot that works and keeps your attention to details. It is a long game in my opinion. It never seems to end and can take a while in some parts to figure out. Clever tunnels and trap doors figure into the elaborately architected buildings, etc.

However, sometimes the enemies are just plain stupid. They are easy to hide from and fool. They can whoop your ass, though. The save and quick save features are never more used and necessary than in this game. This game was rated game of the year by one gaming magazine(PC Mag I think). The graphics, in my opinion, are about as good as they come. The cinematic scenes are well done. The horizons of NY city and the like are amazing with great use of lighting.

I received this game in a software package included with my sound card purchase. I am glad I did as it has been a fun experience. I think it is ahead of all the others which may try to do the same thing. I can't wait for Deus Ex 2. It can only get better.

Well, I'm only half-way through Deus Ex. It seems to go on forever. However, I don't want to stop playing and stay up way too late. I never used to like these sorts of games but I thoroughly enjoy this one. It is like living through a good sci-fi/action movie.

Anybody got an opinion on this one?

Surf

------------------

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited February 12, 2001).]

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Deus Ex is the third best game I've ever played, just behind HOMM2 and System Shock 2. AWESOME game -- check out <a href="http://www.ttlg.com">Through the Looking Glass</a> for some news/insight and discussion. I beat the game in about a week -- shut myself away from all society and focused entirely on finishing the story. It was worth it!

The enemies do make some stupid mistakes, but if you begin to get cocky and take them for granted, they'll annihlate you. They do get harder as time goes on though. Personally, I find the sniper rifle to be the most useful weapon, although using the regular pistol worked well for me too.

Graphics-wise, DX was excellent, although it can't compare to Sacrifice or AMG's Alice. The Unreal engine was used better in this game than I've ever seen before, and the world is so immersive, I feel like I've actually been to Battery Park.

Gameplay is among the best in the industry. Personally, I liked System Shock 2 a little better, but I'm kindof biased towards the System Shock series. The character interaction was so innovative and significant, it broke new ground on character interactivity. PC Gamer's game of the year, and an instant classic, IMO.

If you like Deus Ex, pick up System Shock 2 -- similar gameplay. Lots of sneaking around and looking over your back.

Where are you at in the game?

------------------
    consultant, n.: Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.

3. Surfguy

Thanks for the heads up on System Shock 2. I will check it out. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found Deus Ex to be an excellent game. I agree on the graphics. Sacrifice graphics are second to none. I find Deux Ex has better gameplay than Sacrifice, though. I am stuck on Deus Ex. I used quick save in a precarious situation where I always die and am pinned down by enemies and enemy bots. I had no luck getting godmode to work when following the recommended modifications to the user.ini. I cannot bring up the "talk" console to type in cheats. I don't know what is wrong. Some how, I will have fight my way out of the hell I am in.

Surf

------------------

4. Vengeance

The worst that I ever did in Deus Ex is one time I accidentally hit save game instead of load game after I got wasted. That was really disappointing.

The key with Deus Ex is to be patient. Sometimes it will take a few minutes of waiting and watching before you get an opportunity to move.

If you think the game is cool now, it actually gets even better as it goes on. Mild spoiler, but my favorite level was one on a tanker -- GIANT!!! The cathedral was cool too.

------------------

5. Surfguy

That part where you have to face off with that biyatch Anna had me dying for a while. I could not kill her with any gun until I got a hold of the rocket gun and let one rip. Safe to say...I am still trying to get her blood stains out of my shirt [​IMG].

Surf

------------------

6. Vengeance

[​IMG] did you kill her in the airplane at first, or later? Gunter was simple to kill . . . I figured that he'd be difficult 'cause he acts like such a big shot, but he's really just a puny little girl.

There are some kickass levels coming up . . . actually, come to think of it, all of the levels kick ass. . . well, just wait until the tanker . . . booyah

------------------