1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC Culture] NJ Elementary School Calls Cops On Third-Grader For Saying ‘Brownie’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Jun 30, 2016.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Given the school district's combative tone, I wonder if they're purposefully sending bs cases to the police to make parents complain so they can point to the prosecutor and make her look bad. In any case, it looks like a typical case of government incompetence that honestly makes all 3 parties look bad for their involvement.

I suspect RL has every poster here on Ignore and he's replying on his assumptions on what we're probably posting.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Trump voters have the whole world on ignore.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

South Park has spoken. Trumpettes heed the word.

4. Buck Turgidson

I will not stand idly by and hear you elitists denigrate the occasionally brilliant social commentary contained in South Park.

5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

If anyone of you bothered to read my previous post, it states that political correctness points to cultural marxism which is promoted today by leftists groups.

6. Buck Turgidson

And also by Donald Trump's nutjuggler.

7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

I usually don't bash anyone on any level for whoever they support or choose to vote for but if we're going non pc route I think you're a big ****ing r****d and shouldn't ever have children.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The police have just been called. Don't resist. Don't resist! Stop resisting!

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wow, that's really profound.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm shocked to find our public schools aren't being run well.

12. JuanValdez

I skipped over it the first time, but upon your prompting it occurred to me that an academic's speech might give me a non-straw-man argument against political correctness that might help me understand why the populists and conservatives get so bent out of shape over it. Unfortunately it didn't work.

But, I gather from both you and Lind that you think if you can trace the legacy of political correctness back to Marxism and then link it to its cousin, Bolshevism, characterizing it as "totalitarian" and "expropriative," then your point is proven and your job is done. I don't really think that's enough in itself, so I'm left a bit wanting on that score. I also would have some complaints about how Lind characterizes Marxist theory, though I think he's right in good measure about how Marxist dialogue actually played out in the early 20th century -- not all those Marxists were as sophisticated as Marx himself.

But the main problem I have with this theory on political correctness is that he's describing a PC oppression I just don't feel. This speech is dated in 2000, and I graduated college (from a very elitist liberal school) in 1997. Shouldn't I have noticed how oppressed I was? Shouldn't I be able to think back now that I have his framework and see how oppressed I was? He's talking about an expropriative, totalitarian code of thought control active on my campus -- one with the potential to kills tens of millions of people -- and yet I never felt it. If only Kim Jong Un was so effective.

The other issue, and related, is that to the extent people on that campus were politically correct about feminism, gay rights, and whatever, their sympathies (because I'm not talking about enforcement, which I never saw) were organic. They were not operating within a pre-existing philosophical framework in which they had determined ideologically that they would interpret the world through a singular (cultural Marxist) lens. They've applied their own moral code, either a priori or learned in their rearing or education, to say what is right or wrong. If some ideas are influenced by Marxism but embraced by college kids not at all involved in the dialectic, how does it even matter where it came from? People don't fight for the rights of homosexuals because someone a hundred years ago saw history through the lens of economic oppression. They do it because they feel today it is the just, moral, and right thing to do. On the subject of gay rights, I've heard more arguments in support based on the Bible than I have on Marxism. So, despite what people say and what arguments they employ, you want to say 'no, no, it's not that, it's really the sinister marks left by cultural Marxism that reverberate through the culture' despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of people reject Marxism, read no Marxist writings, and generally are unfamiliar with the heroes, history, or mechanics of Marxist thought.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Does "#" stand for **** in this instance?

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

PC is at times a joke. Look at the number of CF members that rush to label anyone a racist/bigot that dares say something critical of Islam or some brown kid who brought a hoax bomb to school. It's gotten to the point that some members are incorrectly equating all Muslims with radical militants Muslims because they either don't want to offend anyone or be labeled themselves.

This is dangerous. When you label, ignore, and bully those with critical opinions for the sake of remaining PC then you are in effect create a straw man argument. This can give some people all the reinforcement they need to believe that there are "liberal media" conspiracies.

15. Buck Turgidson

There's no doubt about that, and I imagine everyone agrees.

16. JuanValdez

I agree in principle. Being flagrant and unthinking in making accusations of racism and bigotry can be dangerous. It is itself much like racism and bigotry, which is also dangerous. We very often see people jumping to all kinds of conclusions without evidence, such as the idea that that brown kid brought a homemade clock to school as a hoax bomb.

So, I have a different theory on the genesis of political correctness that does not go back to World War I but to much further back then that. I think political correctness is the interaction in which people in community with one another try to keep one another honest and accountable for the sake of the community. So, one person perceives someone else in his community treating a minority unfairly so he says something. Someone sees a person call someone else a racist unfairly so he says something. In the modern circumstance, these communities aren't always all that tight though, and people take offense to being reproached. They try to correct others for their overbearingness, calling it political correctness gone awry, ironically admonishing admonishment. But, I think it's fine; it's all a part of the process. This is a society constantly negotiating within itself what's right and what's wrong. I'd say human society has always been this way.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

How sad is it that South Park isn't on right now providing commentary on the election? We're missing out.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Dancing Deer makes some great brownie mixes

19. Buck Turgidson

Ghirardelli double chocolate. Stir in some pecans and dulce de leche.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member