1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paxton Lynch, QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The big worry was that this draft didn't have a "franchise" QB. If Lynch is determined to be that guy, you have to do everything short of "Ricky Williams"-ing your draft to get him.

We've gotten stars at DE, WR, OLB (when healthy), and (it's early but...) potentially CB in the first round of our four of our last five drafts, and we are really no closer to winning it all than before we got them.

It's all about the QB, and nothing really matters until you have one.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Washington, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Miami, Buffalo all recently picked QBs in the first round recently and are really no closer to winning it all than before they got them.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If Lynch continues on this trajectory, he'll be the guy to take. Do whatever you have to put yourself in a position to get him.

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

No, I'm not saying pick a QB no matter what. Nobody is saying we need to trade the farm for an EJ Manuel type pick.

I'm saying that if you think Lynch is LEGIT, which more and more evidence is starting to come out that people think he is, then you need to do all in your power to get him.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

This. It will be nice to get an up close live view of him. To all of you who love the Texans but desire some actual good football come on out to TDECU and watch the Cougars beat the living crap out of Lynch!

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> starting their due diligence on Paxton Lynch.
    <a href="https://t.co/ldgbUMapMG">https://t.co/ldgbUMapMG</a> <a href="https://t.co/MQoLmZ2uoo">pic.twitter.com/MQoLmZ2uoo</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/662476384313282560">November 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, there are no guarantees. But, I would rather take a chance by drafting a QB in the first round, than to keep acquiring backup QB's like Mallett, Fitzpatrick, and Hoyer. At least with a highly drafted QB we have some hope that he may develop into something special. With Mallett, Hoyer, and Fitzpatrick there never was any real chance they would become something special. Mallett had the arm strength, but we now know that was all he had.

The Texans in my opinion need to upgrade many positions, so we aren't just one player away from being a contender. We have time to develop of young QB while we upgrade the rest of the roster.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

All depends on where we are picking really. Teams with this mentality end up overvaluing QBs and take guys like Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, etc...way too high. With regards to this draft, I would equate it to taking Hackenberg in the Top 10 because the other QBs are off the board or didn't enter the draft. Take the best available or a QB if you like them where you are, but not a fan of taking a QB in the first just because you need one.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Or you could end up with Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco, etc... You never know.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good picks for sure. Even better for the Raiders and Bengals since they were able to get Cooper and AJ Green beforehand which they wouldn't have if they went in thinking they needed to get a QB first thing. Like I said, I like a QB in the first if there is one worth taking. Just not a fan of the mentality that we absolutely have to get on first thing.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, that was my point. You just never know. It's impossible to ever know if a QB is going to pan out. But if you never take a chance on someone, you will never get a QB. There is no such thing as a sure thing. There is always risk involved. I'm tired of us sitting on the sidelines, waiting for a QB to fall out of the sky.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

It is looking likely the Texans aren't going to have a pick high enough to get the 1st or 2nd QBs. Whatever QB they pick, I will be fine as long as they get him all the weapons and protection he needs. There is no game changing pass-catching tight end in this draft, so go RB early. The top two RBs were off the board early this year and it might be the case again next year with Elliot and Henry. Then get your QB, Hackenberg or Cook. Then just add bodies for the offensive line and a speedy WR. Squeeze another LB in there and I will be good with the draft.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Two of those were picked in the 2nd round. That might be where the Texans get theirs.

14. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Not going to happen. This is not the Texans style. They are not home run hitters like the Rockets. Rockets go for it all in one swing though they may strike out from time to time. Texans go for the bunt single. Texans are generally a conservative franchise that doesn't take risks and their mediocrity shows it

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

So Hackenburg? Has a lot of Mallet him him with the sloppy accuracy and poor mechanics under pressure, but sounds like he has a better head on his shoulders.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Hardens the only offense on this team

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

^crap, wrong thread. I just want Goff or Lynch. Maybe even Cook

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I am just worried we won't get ahead of the teams needing a QB in the draft. I don't see this team trading up in the first to do so either

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Whoever it is has a better chance to win of you give him more weapons and a great offdnsive line.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Hopefully people will watch him against Navy today