1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paxton Lynch, QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 13, 2015.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Either Cardale or Paxton.

2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Cardale will be there in the 3rd round so if they go that route they should draft Ezekiel Elliot.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Now we're talking. Either that or go the O-line route.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

CBS Sports' Rob Rang has Memphis redshirt junior QB Paxton Lynch landing with the Cleveland Browns at the No.3 spot in his latest mock draft.

"The Browns' annual top 10 selection is likely to continue until a franchise quarterback is found," Rang writes. The Memphis prospect has definitely sold himself to evaluators this season, as he's passed for 2,709 yards with an impressive 18/1 TD/INT ratio. On Saturday, Lynch completed 26-of-42 passes for 343 yards and a touchdown, and put up another solid performance.

Source: CBS Sports
    Nov 2 - 2:25 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Talked to 2 personnel directors and 2 scouts. Hands down their top QB is Paxton Lynch. Agree that Goff is talented but not physically ready</p>&mdash; Greg Gabriel (@greggabe) <a href="https://twitter.com/greggabe/status/661220677207220224">November 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. AFS

AFS Member

Seems like this situation has similarities to what happened with Bortles and Bridgewater. Teddy B was the consensus number 1 overall pick the season before his draft. His stock fell and Bortles' rose through the course of the season. Maybe something similar happens here and Goff will be available as a mid-to-late first rounder?

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Memphis QB Paxton Lynch showing good timing and perfect ball placement on the deep ball under pressure <a href="https://t.co/wqBFUTLmEx">https://t.co/wqBFUTLmEx</a></p>&mdash; Draft Scout 24/7 (@DraftScout247) <a href="https://twitter.com/DraftScout247/status/661035955088936960">November 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coach: Scouts say Memphis' Lynch likely to be 1st QB drafted in 2016.

--&gt; <a href="https://t.co/mSorfHabU2">https://t.co/mSorfHabU2</a> <a href="https://t.co/kuD3N8uHcR">pic.twitter.com/kuD3N8uHcR</a></p>&mdash; CollegeFootball 24/7 (@NFL_CFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL_CFB/status/659797065417953280">October 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tulane coach Curtis Johnson on Paxton Lynch: &quot;I think this kid is a top five pick in the draft.&quot;</p>&mdash; Tom Schad (@Tom_Schad) <a href="https://twitter.com/Tom_Schad/status/660663752266649600">November 1, 2015</a></blockquote>

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I haven't seen Lynch play, but that was an impressive deep ball.

8. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

I agreed our O line isn't getting any better anytime soon. We need someone that the linebackers have to sit on due to his ability to run. That would open this offense up.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Watching some Lynch highlights. He's the real deal. So if he is the top quarterback overall:

Let's say the Texans make the playoffs and are sitting at pick number 20. Let's also say things hold true and the Lions have the first pick, followed by the Ravens, followed by the Titans, followed by the Browns.

There's no way Tennessee trades with us. I don't see that Ravens or the Lions taking a quarterback, either. So, say Tennessee threatens to trade with Cleveland to pick up an extra pick, so that Cleveland can lock up Lynch.

As the Texans, you've got to jump from 20 to 2. Do you do it? If it's at the cost of this years first and second and next years first and second? Just to be hypothetical.

Say the Cook and Hackenberg come out as well, and Goff doesn't, just to continue the hypothetical (my theory in what happens..
    .Cook being a senior). Say Cook is rated well behind Lynch, but as a late first round pick, borderline franchise guy. Say Hackenberg is rated as a second round pick, borderline franchise guy. Now, say Lynch continues his torrid pace, and scouts continue to fall in love with him like teenage girls at a Beiber concert.

Do you make the trade or do you stand pat and grab your favorite of the other two?

I'd assume most would say you do it, seeing as to how badly we need a quarterback. I'd do it, and I'd let him sit behind Hoyer for a while.

At this point, I'd be happy with any of those three. I'm just trying to play hypothetical here, and see what fans would do in the situation that one of these guys separates himself.

10. Nero

Nero Member

Stopped reading.

The Texans will end up with 6 wins, maybe. Or 5. They are not making the playoffs.

I'd love to see them get it all together and take off and win the division at 8-8 or so, but it's just not going to happen. In the next 6 games, who are they going to beat? Mayyyybe the jets.

By the time this upcoming 6 game losing streak is over, we'll be sitting at 3-11, and two remaining games with each of Jax and Tennessee.

At that point, the season will be well over, and it will all be about the draft position, especially with potentially two high end QB's there at the top of the board.

The only question I have is, will they tank the final two against Jax and Tenn in order to guarantee a top 3 pick, or will they screw it all up and win those final two and miss out on both QB's?

The good news is, we may actually get both a good QB prospect AND see the end of the Rick Smith regime, all in the same offseason!

And if BOB even MENTIONS the word 'Hackenberg' at all, then he should be fired before the draft as well.

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Can't wait to see Lynch against the UH secondary. Should lets us know more about if he's legit or not.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If the Texans win their last three games versus Colts, Titans and Jaguars, they win their division and make the playoffs. The Colts @ Indy will be the toughest game, but the Colts are having *a year* and this game might be a 50/50 game.

Of course winning the division screws their draft position. And the Texans are very unlikely advancing in the playoffs, even if their first game is against the Bengals ;)

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

We have the 5th hardest schedule after the bye; there's no way we make the playoffs

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Me too. We have 2 or 3 more wins this season TOPS. The colts will eventually get it together and go at least 8-8. Hell, they still have 3 more division games which are basically like bye weeks for them..

The only thing we need to worry about the rest of the season is how many of the teams slotted ahead of us in the draft will even be looking to draft a QB at all? Browns, Jags, titans, and Bucs already have their franchise QB's (according to them). Would the Lions want to? Ravens?

The only teams that might be ahead of us that I can say for sure would want to draft a QB would be the 49ers and Bears. This could really work in our favor. We may not even need to worry about trading up.

15. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I've been following this guy since about week maybe 2 or 3 after I heard Andre Ware on the radio say he saw the future of the QB position when called the Memphis game earlier this year. Since then I've been trying to soak up all the video I can of him and I must say I'm really hoping we get a chance at this guy. He has a ton of potential and the right kind of QB prospect I would hope even the Texans terrible scouting department could see is worth a high draft pick.

Theoretically if they drafted him and he turned out to be a bust I wouldn't be upset as his high upside is worth the risk.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Have you seen the Colts schedule?
    Broncos, Falcons, Steelers, Dolphins all look like losses. For the Texans:
    Bengals, Patriots, Saints, Jets (or Bills) look like losses. The Texans v Colts just might be the division.

17. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Or the defense as a whole. Our D does a very good job generating pressure and blitzing so it will be interesting to see how he can read the defense.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not to mention playmakers in the secondary. I just hope both teams are undefeated still. Should be a really good game.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Earlier this week, former Chicago Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel reported he polled four NFL evaluators, and each had Lynch as the No. 1 QB prospect in college football. That report came just a few days after a college coach told Sports Illustrated that five NFL scouts told him Lynch is likely to be the first QB selected next year.

So, it's no surprise that NFL clubs are doing some digging on the Memphis signal-caller. His high school coach, Allen Johnson, told the Daytona Beach News-Journal that he's received calls from the Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans and Denver Broncos.

"The scouts that call me want to know about his character and what type of kid he was," Johnson said. "They're doing their due diligence."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000573423/article/paxton-lynchs-hs-coach-broncos-texans-bills-call-about-qb

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Draft Paxton or Goff in 1st round
    Draft Hackenberg in 3rd round

Let's stop muddling around in the QB dept. Find the damn guy and build from there.