1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Silas out as Bobcats coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 30, 2012.

1. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Do the Bobcats even have fans?

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Silas did nothing to deserve to get fired, but I can't say that I'm surprised. Bad teams are always looking to find someone to point their finger at and often times it's the head coach.

With that being said, I never really believed that Silas was going to be the coach to lead Charlotte into the postseason and beyond. He's a typical retread. Decent coach who won't put a team over the top necessarily, but also won't hurt your team's chances.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thank you for stating what should be obvious to everyone.

MJ has been a sorry owner, but Silas had to go. He was nothing more than a placeholder until the Bobcats hit bottom. Time for him to go now.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

They aren't a lock for him yet.

5. 713

713 Member

All of this is true...

6. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Possible Rich Cho + McMillan reunion?

7. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Phil Jackson would have been fired if he coached Charlotte, that's how bad it was. Silas getting into it with Tyrus Thomas didn't help either.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Silas is not a good coach at either developing young talent or managing a contender. He was there for the tank, that's it. Like everyone's said, McMillan should be their #1 target.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

To be honest, I think Davis is going to Brooklyn. Charlotte is gonna have to settle for a different player.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think they most liekly pick Harrison Barnes, no matter if they use the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th pick.

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

That would then be another fail by the Bobcats, and they'll continue sucking for 4 more yrs.

12. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Being from Carolina I wish we had pop here for an NBA team....some people are lucky to have a team thats good, to those in Houston take advantage of having a team there, even tho some people dont like the mediocrity I would try to go as many games as I can.

damn i miss Texas.

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Drafting Barnes would be the definition of stupidity and it has less to do with Barnes ability and more to do with the fact that Charlotte has already tried to reach for UNC players to bring college basketball fans to their games. Remember Sean May?

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm not saying I agree with it- it is a stupid move- but one I could definitely see MJ pulling. Especially when they lack a wingman.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bobcats need the best player on the board at any position. They lack everything.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

You don't think Bismack Biyombo and Kemba Walker won't be solid starters?

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I DEFINITELY don't think Kemba Walker will be a solid starter. Biyombo might grow into one but I don't take that for granted. It's possible Cho whiffed on both guys.

Didn't see the Bobcats much but Walker didn't look like a successful long-term NBA player from what I saw. He doesn't remotely resemble a PG and he isn't a dynamic scorer. My first take on him is a very poor man's version of Ben Gordon. But you can't judge perimeter guys by their first year. Now that he clearly knows his shortcomings, it's time to work hard in the offseason and come back much-improved.

IMO, if UConn hadn't had their magical run in the Big East & NCAA tournaments, Kemba Walker would not have been a top 10 pick.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

His confrontation with Tyrus Thomas in the lockerroom sealed his fate.

19. TheresTheDagger

So you're saying that if only Silas had won about 10 more games and still had the worst record in the league he would have been retained?

JOHN WOODEN couldn't have gotten 10 more wins out of that team.....

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think they are letting him go because of the record-- as many pointed out, the team just lacks talent and no coach could have done much better with this collection. I mean, even if they doubled their # of wins, they would still have the worst record in the league by a long shot.

I think it's probably reasonable for them to not bring him back next year, though. They just need to make a change. It is apparent that Silas was frustrated with the situation by the end of the season and really needed to be away from this team. The players are probably tired of him, too.