1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Schaffer and Late Show Band Own some band called The Orwells

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cardpire, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

Orwells = Neil Young....

I see...

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't know, your two examples aren't normal performances, an Elvis impersonator and Darlene Love is there every year singing that song for the last show before the Christmas break. The Late Show band is a part of that performance too, so it makes sense for them to play it out.

Do you watch Letterman every night? Does this happen every week? I just want to see one example that is a band performing their new single.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

Happens a lot, and it's not just unique to Letterman. It's not an unusual request. Also not sure what it matters if it's an Elvis cover band or an affected, wannabe grunge band.

For arguments sake though, let's pretend this was the first time in Late Show history that he's ever asked a band to play another 30 seconds of their song. What does that even matter?? How can refusing to acquiesce to such a small, innocuous request ever be the correct decision in their situation??

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

Because if Neil Young can refuse an encore to a prime time show... an HS wannabe grunge band can...

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Tyler did it better... lol

[youtube]u9kJ0w7FCNo [/youtube]

6. rudan

rudan Member

I haven't watched that show in years. From the looks of it, he has a lot horrible musical guest :confused:

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Letterman ALWAYS asks a band/act to play them off if there is time, and if he likes them. The reason he asks them to play the same song, is the house band and Paul practice that song to play off for commercials as buffer music - and many times they also accompany the band. One of the most popular "encores" was The Heavy's "How You Like Me Now?" Unlike the douche-bag Orwells, The Heavy was obviously thrilled.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rQKsKbXN1A4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This should have happened...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-HPlYFBzD8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Yeah, because that's totally what I was going for there, internet smartass.

Did one of the guys in this crappy band hook up with your sister or something?

10. Oski2005

Nope, I've been trying to point out that The Heavy is the only band he's ever asked to do an encore. I'm asking for an example that is any other band. If it happens so often, it shouldn't be hard to find. The only thing Letterman seems to do constantly is inquire about the drums.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M65Dx0STe2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW, I saw The Heavy performance the night it aired and when it happened I remember thinking "this is a big deal" at the time and googling it now it still is considered a big deal and an anomaly. The Heavy is the only band he's ever asked to play an encore and he did it when they came back, except instead of the song they just played he asked them to play How You Like Me Now which they hadn't rehearsed.

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

Dude, he does it literally all the time. Trust me. Whatever googling you did that told you that The Heavy was something special is ill-informed. I just linked you 2 that were perfect examples. Here's another. Satisfied?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fam8cJw-IVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. prs325

prs325 Member

It's just needs more cowbells:p

14. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

There are four or five examples of him requesting that they play the show off in this thread alone....

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

Happened to be watching through end of show last night...

http://youtu.be/9m3dh3GAgxY

1 person likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

Saw that last night and thought about bumping this old thread -- he's done that many times over the years.

Side note: Joan Jett looks really good for her age and all the partying she's done in her life.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

Agreed. And still sounds pretty damn good too. Up there right near the top of the list of women rockers.

18. KingCheetah

^ I thought the song was good too.

19. Oski2005

Look who got invited back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TFVAx275tiE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ LOL, i love that they closed with the song from their 1st appearance