1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Schaffer and Late Show Band Own some band called The Orwells

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cardpire, Jan 16, 2014.

1. The Drake

The Drake Member

Agreed, Paul & them doing the song/"dance" was funny, and the band seemed to able to laugh at themselves.

However, I did see the Orwells at SXSW last year and there was a dispute about what time their set was supposed to end (Orwells thought they had like 15 more minutes). The lead singer started destroying stage equipment and had to be dragged off by security. The rest of the band seemed kind of amused, like "oh there he goes again..."

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Anyone know a good source/ link to this 'incident'? I've heard it's really funny, but it seems to have been taken down everywhere.

3. KingCheetah

Ok, watched the end again -- the guitarist ripped all the strings off and the bass player started playing with Paul and the band (the other guitarist and drummer just looked confused). The lead singer is smiling and giving props to Paul and claps -- looks like it was all in good fun and a win/ win situation.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Thats the feeling i got from them watching this performance...

5. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i dont watch much of these late nite talk shows but i was excited to see that he had the roots as his house band.. i wonder what it took to get them, i heard fallon is a huge hip-hop fan.. isnt he set to take over for leno or is that someone else..

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah he's taking over after the olympics finish airing in Feb.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I didn't see any ill-will coming from either side. Looks like everyone was just having fun before the show signed off.

I did like how the band picked up playing their song without even knowing what key it was in. They just started playing and got it right. Of course, I'm sure it was a normal guitar key (without going back to watch again). Still pretty funny though.

1 person likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

Yeah, that was awesome -- Paul sounded just like him.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Not that they aren't capable, but they do have rehearsals.

10. Hmm

Hmm Member

Guitar loses a string...? Get another one, and come in where you need to.... Second guitar loses a string during instrumental break...? Continue the section quasi-acappella without missing a beat or intensity.... like a professional...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Mhj8p6fO2Jg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

another Orwells fan being sensitive...

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes, but not sure if they rehearsed that song or not, since they originally weren't supposed to play it. Of course.....the song involved maybe 2 chords, so not like they needed to.

Interesting story -

Will Lee (bass player) is actually from Huntsville, TX. When I was in school there, he came down to visit some relatives and called the jazz instructor and asked to sit in with us. He came and talked to us for a while about the show, then played a bunch of tunes with us. Incredibly nice, down-to-earth guy. And a fantastic bass player, obviously, flawlessly sight-reading all the charts we were working on.

We gave him a "Huntsville Bass Club" hat (get it? bass the fish? bass guitar?) and he wore it on the show the next week. He even tipped his hat to us when they showed him on camera like he said he would.

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I've recently seen Will Lee with Oz Noy and Keith Carlock in NYC, he is fantastic.

(I believe he is in a Beatles tribute band)

an orchestra house band led by Paul and featuring the likes of Will Lee and others better be able to pick up what key an indie band is playing in, they are far more superior musicians and most of them are classically trained and they eat sleep and breathe music for a living, and play out every night when they aren't playing in the big band.

not like these talentless coachella hacks.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This is why Derrick Rose sucks. :-(

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Are you sure about the abbreviated encore thing because normally Letterman walks over there and asks the drummer if the drums are his/hers or if they are rentals.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only band he had ever asked to do an encore was "The Heavy," and he did it both times they were on. That's probably why The Orwells were caught off guard. According to Rolling Stone, the guitarist whose strings had broken makes it sound like they thought Letterman was asking them to play it again so that they'd have another take to choose from and didn't seem to get that he just really loved the performance and wanted them to do an encore. They're all young and I guess have never watched Letterman.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Didnt look like an owning to me

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

Here are 2 examples that I found quickly. trust me, there are probably literally hundreds.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m7M6wRPuD2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/31PJDr-n1DE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Summer Song Giver

A little dose of the real world for the kiddos haha

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

NO ONE... I MEAN, NO ONE... says no to DAVE and PAUL. :eek:

So just play it without your broken guitar, little punk. PLAY. PLAY. Borrow another guitar, do anything to oblige what your host asks you to do. "You just gotta give somebody a rap on the beezer, get some respect around here..." (name that movie; difficulty: easy)

Oski, at what point does Dave ask the band anything? I think only when he says "got any more of that?" and the singer drunk/stoned dude shakes "no."

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Come on, people. Nobody takes a backup guitar to a three-minute TV slot. He tore all the strings out on purpose, like Neil Young did at the end of his SNL set (no backup) in 1989 or 1990.

On top of that, Dave and Paul were just having fun. Much ado about nothing.