1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Pierce available?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tod the bod, Jun 30, 2003.

1. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Paul Pierce has a certain 'butteriness' to his game. IMO, he's much more creative with the ball than either Tmac or Kobe. I'd trade anyone on the Rockets for him straight up, preferably Moochie. :p

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

It is really positive to see a young rook make a post like this in a totally stupid thread like this. Threads like this are why I can barely bring myself to post in anything but the hangout. Boston trading pierce, yeah, right after San Antonio trades Duncan. I am telling you, if Pierce had the help Duncan does he could be wearing a ring this year.

Too bad about that porsche moniker though.

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

What help?

Pierce had Antoine Walker, a borderline All-Star.

Duncan had an over the hill David Robinson and a bunch of inconsistent young players.

What makes you think Paul Pierce can lead any team to the championship? People have gone absurd with the Praise Paul Pierce BS.

The Best Players in the NBA are:

Duncan
    Shaq
    Garnett
    T Mac
    Kobe
    Nowitzki
    J. Kidd
    C. Webber
    A. Iverson
    Paul Pierce

You think the 10th best player in the NBA is even close to Tim Duncan?

People always complain about Allen Iverson's FG% .

What did Pierce shoot this year? 41.6%.

2002-03 ALL-NBA FIRST TEAM

Position Player, Team (1st Team Votes) Points
    Forward Tim Duncan, San Antonio (120) 603
    Forward Kevin Garnett, Minnesota (115) 596
    Center Shaquille O’Neal, L.A. Lakers (112) 593
    Guard Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers (118) 599
    Guard Tracy McGrady, Orlando (107) 578

2002-03 ALL-NBA SECOND TEAM

Forward Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas (5) 360
    Forward Chris Webber, Sacramento (1) 310
    Center Ben Wallace, Detroit (5) 307
    Guard Jason Kidd, New Jersey (16) 355
    Guard Allen Iverson, Philadelphia (8) 350

2002-03 ALL-NBA THIRD TEAM

Forward Paul Pierce, Boston 91
    Forward Jamal Mashburn, New Orleans 63
    Center/Forward Jermaine O’Neal, Indiana (2) 165
    Guard Stephon Marbury, Phoenix (1) 141
    Guard Steve Nash, Dallas 85

#83 RIET, Jul 2, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Steve Francis is a 20 6 6 player. He's a good PG, which is a very hard position to fill in the NBA, being the floor leader. He turns it over a lot, but so does JKidd, who many consider the best PG in the game. Pierce for Francis is a close call, but I'd keep SF.

5. LeGrouper

Riet don't be blinded by your Duncanlovingness. Malik, DR, Manu, Damn near Finals MVP Parker, Kerr... these are the kind of role players that helped Hakeem win in the old glory days. Who does pierece have besides the no defense walker... delk? battie? williams?... good god these guys wouldn't even get playing time on the spurs.

6. D-Roc

D-Roc Member

How in the hell does Ben Wallace make 2nd team All-NBA? His place is on the defensive team.

7. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Utter crap :rolleyes:

Francis >>> Pierce, no Rocket-colored glasses on.

#87 RocketGuy3, Jul 2, 2003
  8. Lionheart

Lionheart Member

Well Said. I couldnt agree more.

9. munco

munco Member

1. We have no chance at landing Pierce unless we give up one of our stars (Francis or Yao).

2. I wonder if those that have seen T-Mac and Pierce play can honestly say that Pierce is comparable. It's not even close. T-Mac is a top 5 player in this league. I would take him over Kobe and I'd only take Garnett, Shaq and Duncan over him. T-Mac had the worst supporting cast among any of the teams in the playoffs. He's the definition of a one-man team.

10. super_mario

super_mario Member

I saw in a press conference that Ainge was asked about trading Walker. His response was that no one on the team was untouchable, not even Paul Pierce.

This does not mean that the Celtics are considering trading Paul Pierce.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Paul Pierce was 3rd team All-NBA.

He's just 1 step away from Tim Duncan.

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Thanks for the "unbiased" opinion, RocketGuy. :rolleyes:

Pierce: 25.9 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.76 spg, 41.6% FG, 30% 3pt, 80% FT

Francis: 21.0 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 6.4 apg, 1.74 spg, 43.5% FG, 35% 3pt, 80% FT

How can you possibly consider Francis to be miles ahead of Pierce? Or, perhaps you are enamored by Steve's unprecedentedly high basketball IQ and superb on-court decisions? *cough*

13. LeGrouper

Don't interpret me as saying that Pierce is more valuable than Duncan, only that Pierce is a freaking stud and if giving a supporting cast with half a piss, which is basically what duncan has, then he too could win a championship. He is definitely a go to guy like Duncan and was the go to guy for the US squad. Granted that squad didn't do so well, but he was the guy who at least tried to carry the team.

14. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Does anyone actually think we can get Pierce for anyone otha than Yao or Steve? Please......Paul Pierce is a superstar, and he pretty much single handedly took that team to the playoffs. The Celtics aren't stupid and aren't gonna trade their franchise player for anything less than another franchise player.

Sorry Dreamers.......

15. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

When did I say the words "miles ahead"? Don't put words into my mouth. The triple '>' may have been an exaggeration, but Francis is better. If you want to go by stats and stats alone, then Francis leads in 3 of those, ties in 2, and loses in 2. Some impressive statline ya got there... that'll shut up any Francis-fan... :rolleyes:

And you want to talk about Bball IQ!? What in the holy name of crap makes you think that Pierce plays smart? Is jacking up threes as about 25% of your fieldgoal attempts when you barely shoot 30% from there "smart" in your book? When his strengths lie elsewhere? The fact that this guy's shooting percentage dropped about 4 percent from the previous years, but his scoring average didn't take a hit shows you just how great of a bball "IQ" he has.

The main point is that even if you think Pierce is better, there's no way him being better is so salient that you'd do that trade "in a heartbeat". This is especially because I get the feeling that many people like you think he's better because he's managed a little bit of post-season success in the Leastern Conference. I gaurantee that if the two players' teams swapped places, Francis would by now have been just as successful, if not moreso, and I gaurantee that that squad led by Pierce would struggle mightily to come close to the playoffs in the West. And don't pick at the fact that I said "gaurantee", yes none of this can be proved, but most people with a good sense of how these two conferences have been developing would see that this isn't far-fetched at all.

#95 RocketGuy3, Jul 2, 2003
  16. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

eh....who else we have on the roster besides Francis and Ming? There's a guy called Yao, and Steve, and "The Franchise"....... also the big fellow from China, what's his name?

17. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

SHUT UP about Paul "gimme the ball" Pierce!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone who would even do a commercial like that is ridiculous. He's basically saying, "Yeah, I know I'm selfish, now I'm gonna brag about it during a commercial." And people wonder why there's an influx of foreign players.

18. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

lol...

There were a heck of a lot more than three ">" signs. Probably closer to fifteen. Pretty sneaky editing trick, though. :rolleyes:

19. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pierce is a cheap buy...seriously, i think he pulls in 4-5 mil a season.

20. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Uh, what are you talking about? Are you saying I edited my original message? You do realize that the message you quoted had 3 >'s, don't you?

Not really, did you read the first reply? He got like 10-11 million last year.