1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Pierce available?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tod the bod, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Could someone please explain to me how a package of Cat/EG/Cato is supposed to be so enticing that any team in the league would give up thier star to get them. I mean just today this package has been not only offered, but by some here was too much to give, for Pierce and AI. If this deal is so sweet for other teams, why are we so hellbent to ship them out?

I know this is the offseason and speculation is at an alltime high, but lets try and keep our expectations realistic.

2. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I'd love to have Paul Pierce, and I might even trade Franchise for him.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did you know that Pierce is 8mos younger?

4. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

So Darko is the guy to lead Celtics to championship? What a joke!

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

And you say that because you've seen him play how many games?

Paul Pierce will lead the Celtics to 0 championships.

If Darko is as good as advertised, the Celtics will have a better shot with an 18 year old and building through the draft than finishing 6th in the Eastern Conference with their current squad.

What's worse than being bad? Being mediocre.

6. canoner2002

This is not an irresistable offer, but I will say it is worth quite a bit to some teams. Cato is argubly better than a lot of starting centers in the league. He is tough and has good rebounding skill. Quite a few teams would get an instant upgrade if they get Cato. EG is argubly a hope for the future. Other teams don't value him as low as we do, alright? Just like when K. Thomas was shipped out, most fans were happy and then found out he became the best forward of sixers. Same goes for Cat, he is a decent SG, and with right system he will be good. This Cato/EG/Cat package will be 3/5 of starting lineup at some teams! How can you say it is not enticing at all? Sure, none of them gives you the leadership that is needed for winging a championship, but a lot of teams are not in that stage! I bet they are more interested in getting a more complete lineup than keeping a potential superstar who doesn't have enough sopport cast and thus is not motivated to explore his potentials!

7. canoner2002

I don't think Darko is advertised as good as you think! Besides, more often than not, these rookies are overhyped. Not always, but 80% of the time, I would say.

If you argument works, why don't we propose a SF for Tmac trade to Magic? Tmac will lead Magic to ZERO championship, and we can say: "you know, maybe SF will lead you there? Anyway, you don't have a chance with Tmac now, what do you have to lose? We will even throw in our new pick that African kid. He is advertised as a beast!"

I guess you would expect Magic to say yes?

8. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

would you guys do this trade steve francis eddie griffin and for paul pierce and tony battie? then with our mle we can sign veteran pg kenny anderson.

9. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Larry Brown, love him or hate him, has never shown the kind of priorities you are suggesting. He always goes in swinging,and is anything but a " Don't rock the boat...I might get wet!" kind fo guy...

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This is a stupid statement. It doesn't matter what you or I think. If the Celtics scouts believe it to be true, they should pursue it. Im sure Darko will not be sleeping because someone on the bbs doesn't think he's as good as advertised. Your opinion means NOTHING.

That's stupid (you see a pattern here?). TMac is a Top 5 player. Paul Pierce is NOT.

I suggest you watch some NBA games (or read about it) to know which players are "franchise" players.

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

SHUT UP WITH THE DAMN TRADE PROPOSALS! PLEASE! This team will do better the way it is now then it would after bein broken up. Francis over Pierce anyday.

12. yaonotyo

yaonotyo Member

chill out dude its the OFFSEASON nothing better to do

13. canoner2002

I bet I watch more games than you do. I suggest you THINK (or get your brain educated) before you post. SF is much more to offer than an unproved kid Darko. This SF/Tmac is much less laughable than your Darco/Pierce trade! After all, SF was twice All Star! Darko is nobody now!

14. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Based on your logic:

Steve Francis is a 2 time all star.
    LeBron James is nothing.

#34 RIET, Jun 30, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  15. jshabang

jshabang Member

Point guard and Center are the hardest positions to fill on a team.........That being said No matter what Steve and Yao are'nt going anywhere so we might as well get that out of our heads.

It doesn't matter if you guys like Steve or not he's not going anywhere any time soon.....that being said

The Rocks are a team that will get better eventually, that is a fact, hopefully its sooner rather than later, but it will happen at some point...that alone will keep steve and yao together

Guys they have had 1 season together and that was Yao's rookie season, CD and LES will not trade either, so lets stop with the Steve trades, however had Steve and Yao been together 5 years and no progress, Steve at that point is expendable, not now

So to get to a my point, Ainge is the new GM in Boston, they fired the GM before him because the team has made absolutely no progress and was heading in the same diection, So Ainge, out of haste could be dumb enough to shake things up and make his mark on the team............Think about it, they are already a playoff team so Ainge has got to make them better somehow,and he's not the smartest cat in the world so he might just trade Pierce if the deal is sweet enough

Bottom line is he has got to do something, he can't do nothing
    Pierce is the bomb but the team is mediocre with him and will be mediocre with him, so what do you do???? He's not a Center or A point Guard????

Mcgrady, Kobe, Vince, A.I, Or Ray Allen will never when a championship by themselves. They need another piece.

Some teams are cursed by great players
    Boston is in a predictament because of a bad GM, which means the only good player worth anything is Pierce, keep him and stay mediocre, or trade him because he has good value and will bring and influx of new players to build around in 2 or 3 years.....nobody wants any player on Boston but Pierce(Walker is a joke,VinBaker, BAttie, need I go on)so at some point he's out of there,I don't know when, but it will happen.

Minnesota, Philly and Toronto will eventually have to do the same thing with there stars, because of BAD GM'S........

Thank the Lord for CD................:D
    He over pays alot, but he does have some moveable parts, other than Steve And Yao, which he gets some brownie points for;) :cool: :p :(

16. canoner2002

LeBron needs to prove himself, although we know his chance is good. Darko is different. Who has a concrete idea how he will fare in NBA? It is all hyped up by the media. Even J Williams and Dunlevvy whom people know so well before the draft can turn out to be total dispointments. You think just by watching a couple of tapes, anybody has a better assessment of Darko than they did on Williams and Dunlevvy? In situation like this, people are heavey influenced by media which is overwhelmingly upward biased!

17. heypartner

uhhhh, stay low???? since when did that happen.

And tell me how long did it take Jerry West to start making big changes. Larry has Dumars to deal with for sure, but I don't buy this stuff that Dumars is 100% against trading Darko; he'll just have a little more say over how Brown handles it, and if you give me Pierce + change ... man, i'd do it. I like Pierce+change, and with Tayshun and Wallace and a nice solid complement of role players like Rip (hehe), that's a finals team in the East, day one.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

But stevie is not that great of a point guard and Pierce is a better 2 guard than francis.

19. heypartner

I have to say that SF for TMac is as laughable as they come.

20. x_trepidation_x

Did you guys see that Celtics are trying to trade away Walker to New York for Sprewell in return.

Talk about a bad move. Sprewell is Knicks best player. Walker is a power forward who's best weapon is the 3 poing shot.

If Laden pulls this move he should get fired.