1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Nov 9, 2012.

?

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson - who would be the better Rocket?

1. Paul Millsap

137 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. Al Jefferson

139 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Oh, no, that was absolutely NOT a criticism of you. Sorry if it read that way.

I was referring to FUTURE replies. That way, we can revive the old Pau Gasol thread instead of continuing that particular discussion here.

My bad if my post was confusing.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If you can do it without giving up much, Paul milsap. Cheaper and younger. Not going to make you a contender, but he allows you to 1) consider upgrading the sf and/or c spot to get to contender status or 2) use him as part of a trade for an upgrade at the pf position.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Al Jefferson is a no. Very talented but too lumbering. And expensive.

Paul Millsap doesn't seem the sort who'd fit the bill of "second star", someone that Morey'd spend the cap room on, but he beasts, and supposedly plays some "3" (I haven't seen enough of their games to actually verify this).

If we managed to keep Terrence Jones, I'd be semi-okay with Millsap, but again, will Morey spend the cap room that way or is he gonna spank the monkey hoping for a bases-loaded homer?

4. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

I feel like Millsap would be a near perfect fit. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being Patterson and 10 being Kevin Love) I think he falls at about a 6 or 7.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Millsap is a really good player but I'm sure he will be going for near max dollars and to me with this core we have now, we need more out of our max player contract than what he can offer. We need a true marquee big who can carry our team from time to time. Millsap is just not that guy and Jefferson isn't either. Pass. I would rather keep that money available for someone worth it and marginally improve our role players in the meanwhile.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't think Millsap would want max money---he certainly won't get it---but he'd probably ask for (and get?) $12,000,000-ish.

He'd be an upgrade, but again, NOT at the expense of Terrence Jones. Ppat they can have but won't take. Hell, even Marcus Morris is acting like he's nearly suck-free.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Seriously? I think Millsap is Landry on steroids. I wouldn't even utter the word 'max' around him.

However I do think he is a great complementary piece for a team. Smart player and a hard worker.

8. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I have no idea...yet.

9. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Jefferson next to Asik would be awesome. Premier post player next to premier defender, both being great rebounders.

10. nono

nono Member

Do you guys think we can win a championship by adding Al Jefferson to the roster ? Lin + Harden + Parsons + Jefferson + Asik. That does not seem to be a championship squad. A lot would then depend on either Harden or Jefferson making significant improvements in their game. We would be a top 5 team though in the Western Conference.

11. split41

split41 Member

Need some time still, I reckon. The team's too young and inexperienced imo, they need a bit of time to not make so many rookie mistakes.

12. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'm sure the stats don't tell the whole story, but I will point out that Jefferson averaged fewer than 1.5 TO's and shot close to 50% the last two seasons. Maybe those double teams weren't giving Al as big of problems as one might think?

Thing that concerns me is this discussion about Al Jefferson being a poor pick and roll player. Is he really that bad?? That could be a problem.....

Thanks.

13. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Just checked Millsap's stats. He is even better than I remember. Would be a great fit here. Hardnosed, still relatively young (27) athletic and unselfish player. Seems he even added a 3-point shot this year.

14. dantian

dantian Member

Amare if healthy would offensively be the perfect fit with Harden/Lin.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Millsap is younger, right?

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree with the Landry comparison but my point is the number of decent bigs on the market is pretty slim. He's of value relative to how thin his position is for proven young bigs. Teams who could have the cap room to make a run include:
    Utah Jazz, Charlotte Bobcats, Houston Rockets, Indiana Pacers, Orlando Magic, Portland Trailblazers, Toronto Raptors, and Washington Wizards

Obviously Portland has a pretty good big in Aldridge(although if Aldridge slights Paul Allen in any way, he could be out to the curb in a second - that's just how Allen rolls)...but outside of POR, any of those teams would have at least some interest in Millsap - but at what cost? I think Indy would make a hard push for him and honestly he fits into the style of that team perfectly. The Jazz offered him something in the neighborhood of 8.5mil a year and he turned it down so we know the asking price will likely be north of 10mil a year which just so happens to be what expiring contract David West makes with Indy now. If a bidding war breaks out, it's not too hard to see a few million added to that number which is max type money.

17. dantian

dantian Member

So true. Millsap would be a nice piece for teams like Lakers, OKC, or NYK and Ind who want to compete now for title. He is not a difference maker for PO chances for teams like Rockets.

18. thekad

thekad Member

Probably because there's no "Neither" option.

I simply abstained.

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

it was a reply to someone who argued for Al Jefferson because he drew double teams. Drawing double teams is great if the player finds the open guy. If he doesn't, then what's so special about drawing double teams?

Re under-500: that's not very good. You can live with it if it's a 3pt shooter, or someone who draws a ton of fouls, or someone who gets a lot of offensive boards and put-backs. In such cases, FG% doesn't represent full picture, but that's not Al Jefferson. Al's %s are fairly inefficient for a go-to scorer, and especially a big guy.

Re pick and roll: i think people mostly mean his poor PnR defense? Offensively he's not that bad, he can shoot, he's pretty quick. It's nothing special, but it's a nice extra tool when combined with his low post game, which is awesome, aside from ball hogging.

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

If you can't pass out of a double team, you will be in trouble come playoff time. I haven't seen enough of Jefferson to know for sure. To those who have, what does he do, force up a shot, hold the ball, pass it to the wrong guy, or turn it over? One ball killer can stymie an entire offense.