1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Manafort imprisoned

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yup........

A Reagan appointed Judge called him a good friend to others and that he has lived an otherwise good life.

Let's see what Judge Amy Berman Jackson gives him. She is an Obama appointee.

I am hoping that she doesn't let him serve his sentence concurrently and gives him the max of 5 years.

To say that he got very easy is an understatement.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The statutory maximum in DC is 10 years. The prosecution held off from requesting concurrent or consecutive sentences... I suspect they will now request consecutive.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I am assuming they are going to ask for consecutive sentencing.

I was under the impression that the max he could get in DC is 5 years (plus 4 consecutive)..... If he spend 12-14 years in jail I would feel a lot better.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

After the initial anger about the soft sentencing by the judge, I am more accepting of it. First, its important to accept the legal and judicial process, even when the outcome seems so wrong (especially when others with less serious crimes don't benefit from a soft and politically motivated judge handing out a soft sentence). And second, the number of years he is in prison is less important than the fact he will be in prison. Though agreed... I will feel better if Manafort gets more years in jail for his serious crimes he is being sentenced for in D.C.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree that this is just a slap on the wrist. Maybe it is my bleeding heart showing but i dont think he should die in prison over this.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Four years for cheating on taxes and bank fraud isn't light

Dont care what he could have gotten. They aren violent crimes. Five years seems about right

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

White Privilege.

DD

edwardc likes this.
  8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'd bet money on Manafort being free in january of '21

Rocket River and No Worries like this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think people are making a bigger point about the insane sentences people of less means get for crimes like having a bag of weed.

Manafort committed a lifetime of crime. His fraud cost the American people millions of dollars in taxes. Let’s not think about that so lightly. If you stole 10 mil from a bank, you’d get life. Stealing from me and you should be worse but it gets looked over for whatever reason.

Maybe 4 years is more appropriate if everything is equal. But that would mean a black man getting pulled over for a bag of weed should probably serve no time at all or a few days. Just shows how messed up the system is and how being a rich white guy gets you slaps on the wrist instead of throwing your life away for a mistake anyone wouid make.

#89 dobro1229, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    B-Bob, edwardc and R0ckets03 like this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

People dont do four years for weed or even cocaine on first offenses

I can argue white collar federal offenses have more draconian time than state drug offenses. Violent first offenses get a lot of time.

When people talk about drug offenses and racial disparity they really forget how destructive crack was. Kids killing each other over crack sales

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

That has happen before getting 4yrs or more for first offenses let's just call the time he gave manafort what it is White Privilege plan and simple.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not weed and its happened on cocaine but first offense cocaine offenses and even crack usually are less than five

Manafort's crimes don't deserve that much time imo

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I might suggest that you are not fully informed of his crimes. Federal minimum guidelines for his crimes were about 20 years.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I might suggest my opinion of what should be might be different from what is

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would suggestion you will do any and everything to defend such disparities , comrade GabrielBot

I don't give a d*mn if someone was busted 8 times for weed
    they would not have done anything as damaging as this A-hole
    but
    you keep on Unca . . . .

Rocket River

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Nobody gets four year for first weed offenses.

Nobody gets caught 8 times for weed.

And my overall point is most financial federal crime sentencing is usually excessive

#96 pgabriel, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  17. NewRoxFan

Long complex reporting of the money ties between manafort and trump's campaign

A mysterious payment to Paul Manafort’s lawyer reveals a hidden chapter of Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/10/pau...nt-hidden-chapter-of-trump-2016-campaign.html

18. NewRoxFan

The sentencing trial in DC for manafort is already in process. While what she saying is correct and important for her to follow, is the judge preparing folks for what may be a light sentencing that she may deliver?

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I read that as the opposite...

The sentence she issues is not an indictment of the court that previously sentenced him. In other words, if (for example) she gives a 20 year sentence it isn't because the previous sentence seemed to be on the light side.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[Simple Question]

How is an investigation created by a Republican Congress and headed by a Republican partisan?

GOOD DAY

adoo likes this.