1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul George!?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by T-Slack, May 22, 2010.

1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I can't believe people haven't talked more about this guy. I know the Rockets need a big man, but if the draft shapes out like some mock draft is saying and bigs like Ekpe Udoh, Hassan Whiteside, Cole Aldrich are gone before our pick instead of reaching or trading out, the Rox should go for value and draft a top 10 talent in George. I know, I know, our team is stacked with wings but, Battier is showing his age, Ariza can't dribble or shoot stright from time to time, C Bud, has potential but unless he works on his defense, he will have to be a role player. Taylor is still a project and Martin can't defend air. U guys get what I'm saying? Instead of reaching for a guys like Solomon Alabi, Larry Sanders or even Daniel Orton who are mid to late round picks, why pick guys that may turn out to be bit to role players when you can pick a guy that may turn out to be a star. I know its a different sport but the Dallas Cowboys took that approach by drafting Dez Bryant even though they had other needs. Oh and I didn't list any of the Power forwards cause we don't need those type of players, we need players to get rebounds and protect the paint.

2 people like this.
  2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah, given our need for a big guy and the depth of this draft when it comes to bigs, its only natural for us to constantly talk about the bigs available at our position. :cool:

But with that said, I agree, Paul George has been turning some heads, this kid measured 6'9 and has been killing it at team workout's against other lottery competition.(Has started to get Tracy McGrady comparison's in terms of skills and being a sleeper)

If his available at our position the rockets need to take a deep look at this guy, despite being full of wing players on our current roster. We don't want to pass up on a possible All-Star talent....

--RB

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If the Rockets were able to move up and get Cousins or Monroe and still be able to keep the 14th, then getting George would be perfect.

4. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

He seems intriguing to me. Great length, he's actually bigger than some of the premier 4/5 in the draft like Udoh or Patterson.

Take him at 14 and buy ot trade for a pick in the 19-25 range and take Larry Sanders(if available) for our big man project instead of Whiteside?

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Though he has impressed in the combine, i've been reading his tweets and he really sounds r****ded.
    I find that they are very similar to those of Von Wafer...

6. BasketballReasons

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ivCtVeCP9XM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ivCtVeCP9XM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Though his tweets a extremely r****ded, so are Brandon Jennings.. I think George can be a player in this league.

7. Houston_Rockets

I don´t know why, but for me, this guy, for me, is going to be the better SF/SG, player in this draft, I can´t talk about the attitude problems on D that were said in that interview, but every time I see him play, I see a guy with the physical tools, and with a very very nice jump shot motor, I think he could be the total package, every time I see this guy drafted 15 or deeper in the draft in mock drafts, my heart stops beating

I could be hyping this guy to much but for me he should miles ahead of, for example, Al-Farouq Aminu.

I doubt that he could be there at 14th, but If we move up in the draft I doubt he is on our radar, I would hope so, but I guess only myself is hight on this guy

PeAcE

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Like Saintja I find him to be a very intriguing prospect but I feel like we are fine with the wings we have right now. I much rather draft a big man, even if he is going to be a project. Although George wouldn't be a bad backup plan.

9. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If we to draft Paul George with the 14th pick I would look to purchase a late 1st/early 2nd rd pick to go after either Larry Sander or Solomon Alabi, still giving us that project big!

--RB

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

11. Coherent

Coherent Member

Scary thing is, he isn't even trying on those dunks in that interview. George has at least a 38 inch vertical (to bad he didn't do the athletic workouts).

I really like the kid, but there is no doubt he is raw, but I'm glad to here he is working on footwork which is his only flaw I can really see.

Skills wise, I would say he is more Rudy Gay than he is TMac, but from a demeanor standpoint, I can see that. Laid back and quiet but has that focus to take over.

12. BasketballReasons

13. BasketballReasons

Couple of videos of George I haven't seen around. Thought it would be nice for people to catch more of his stuff:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQLROwiCSao&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQLROwiCSao&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Zo-o49i9B8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Zo-o49i9B8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cyxk2rHzvAU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cyxk2rHzvAU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H51_RekGcb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H51_RekGcb4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

This guy really intrigues me. Could this guy be another Danny Granger, do-everything-forward that gets over-looked because he plays in the WAC?

15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

My thoughts exactly. VERY similar body frame, with same skills. I think George is more athletic though, judging from the videos.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The arguement not to take hime because of our abundance of wings holds not water. Morey is more than likely going to make a trade, and someone like Battier, Bud, or Ariza will get moved.

Take George if he is BPA and stop worrying about his position.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

We need a SG, and Paul George is a SF. I'd much rather draft Xavier Henry to back up Martin rather than have four SFs (Budinger, Ariza, Battier and George), three of whom will be sitting on the pine.

If we took Henry, we could use Battier + whatever other incentives necessary to acquire a quality backup center (Frye/Haywood/?) who could move up to starter if needed.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Please, never mention Haywoods name here again. :(

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Haywood is decent -- not great -- but he has been a starter for a long time. He's not a scorer, but he is a solid defender, shotblocker and outlet passer. Also, he doesn't create any waves as long as he's not competing with Etan Thomas. Oops, I guess I mentioned him again. ;)

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member