1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul George traded to Thunder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by antdrewjosh, Jun 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

As much as I'm trying to downplay this deal; the Thunder just upgraded from Oladipo to George without depleting their depth. That's serious.

Homey the Clown likes this.
  2. JD88

JD88 Member

Sabonis has potential, and can be flipped in a year or two once Indy inflates his stats by giving him starter minutes.

Dipo went to IU, so name recognition sells tickets. His contract blows but Indy won't be relevant again, at the very least, until his contract is up anyway so it doesn't even matter.

Not a terrible trade for Indy, imo. They should have traded him at the deadline but I'm not sure he had flat out told the FO he wouldn't be returning at that point.

3. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

To be fair, the CP3 trade could be perceived in the same light by others as well.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

In reality, Pat Bev and scrubby Dekker could have done it for the Rockets

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so they get to pay dipo money to be mediocre and then, at best, watch sabonis develop into a decent player in a couple of years, at which point they get to pay him. mediocre players who you have to pay $20M are the bane of building a team. what's the point of having them? you can do it if you already have a star(s) and are filling out the roster, but starting your team with them? makes everything more difficult.

outside of ryno, this is what morey's always been so good about. not overpaying role players and looking for stars, who are almost by default underpaid. you can find cheap decent players. you don't wanna find non-impact guys like oladipo who have labels like "upside potential" or "scorer" that make them almost by default overpaid.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

That'll last until October, when they have to start playing games with a relatively NBA newb as their coach, trying to massage two MASSIVE egos.

Here, we've got an old hand and two superstars who just want to win.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Best thing I think it does for OKC is clear dipo off the books.

PG isn't staying there and PG imo doesn't make the Thunder better than the us or let a lone golden state, so ultimately unless they do some more with that roster I think it's all for naught.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How so?

We may have given up a lot but that was basically the only way to get a star with less than half the assets Boston has to offer anyone.

You see how much of a difference it makes when you have two superstars that guys wanna play with... it entices even more interest and helps make finding players that much easier.

No Chance likes this.
  9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

but isn't that morey's who thing? taking these kind of risks? basically get the star in the door and hope he stays because there are only so many stars to get. i'm a big morey fan so it seems weird we wouldn't (maybe it's just couldn't) beat this. maybe morey figures paul is the risk and george being a rental could screw that up and would rather be sure now that he has 2 top 10 players and go a different route. but figuring out a way to get george is certainly the home run and, in an era where it takes a grand slam to beat colluding weak stars, i don't know if you can go for doubles.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Thunders tried 101% to get Paul George. And it worked!

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

this hurts, PG was exactly what we needed and OKC got him for some expired Doritos and a used condom...smh

How does Indiana not even get a pick?!?

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I hate Ryan Anderson.

Have hated him since he became a Rocket.

Will hate him as long as he is in a Rockets jersey.

Massively overpaid scrub that is holding this team back.

That's a wrap. We will be competing for second place alongside the Spurs in the West. We needed PG's defense to matchup with the Warriors.

Just hope Rockets don't meet OKC in playoffs either. Harden will be neautralized by PG on defense and Rockets are going to have a tough time scoring.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Signing Ryan Anderson wasn't something Morey especially wanted to do. He was told to spend the money.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We can still go after George Hill. Between him and CP3, we can still have Paul and George.

MrButtocks, Nick_713 and BigShasta like this.
  15. jayfree

jayfree Member

Okay soooooooo Milsap it is :)

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

We didn't have an asset as good as oladipo ... MAYBE Capela , but even then probably not.

17. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

What I meant was the CP3 trade could be perceived as a "trashy" trade by other bitter fan bases. We gave up Beverley and stuff. OKC gave up Oladipo and one other asset.

I'm just happy to be a Rockets fan.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Ah I follow.

Yeah I wouldn't really know how to react being an OKC or Westbrook fan atm.

#IMWT

19. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

yep

20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Pacers weren't going to let PG pick and choose his team. I blame PG for lowering Pacers value so they dumped him to a place he is not going to have fun with. I'm going to say PG will not get a triple-double for this upcoming season, only if Westbrook is not playing in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.