1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul George plans to sign long-term contract with Pacers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Sep 19, 2013.

1. VBG

VBG Member

He finally developed it when Derrick Rose came kind of. Before that he never took any 3s. It's like saying Tayshaun Prince has a good 3 point shot because of hte percentage. You have to look at the volume too.

2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

In some ways, he reminds me of a more talented Trevor Ariza.

He's good, but not 90 million dollars good.

His handles are terrible, too.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I see. So you didn't lol at REEKO_HTOWN assertion that George's inability to create his own shot. You agree with him on that then? So why do you think his post was laughable?

I honestly don't know whether George is worth the max or not, because I don't watch Pacers play and can't tell beyond stats. That's why I thought I'd ask you since you seemingly watched them play. Does this mean the advanced stats and REEKO_HTOWN are both correct when it comes to George's lack of shot-creating ability?

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually I'm geniunely curious about George's shot creating ability, because so many people point out to it. I kind of want to know if this is true, or if stats in this case is misleading.

5. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Paul George was 1 of 4 players to average at least 17 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists last season (LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Josh Smith)</p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/statuses/382656886752821248">September 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

He's not worth the max at this moment. He has the potential to be worth it if he develops his offensive game (which it seems like he has a great chance, he progressed well throughout the season).

But there is no reason to compare Rudy Gay and Paul George.

George is already a far superior player, he plays great defense, underrated playmaker, and I think he is on the rise offensively to become more efficient. He pretty much does everything really well, his turnovers were high last season because it was his first year where he had to distribute the ball. Some games he looked really good, sometimes he would get high turnovers because he would try to be too fancy with the ball and do too much with it.

Over time, I think that will change. He's basically a late bloomer in the sense that he started basketball late, he wasn't recognized as a top prospect because of that. I feel like he still has another 3 years before he finally realizes his potential.

Defense:
    He was a great defender last season. He had a couple big steal games which of course led to a fast court slam, he has slick hands, really good 1 on 1 defender. I'm sure advanced stats can prove that. His only weakness if you had to pick on him might be his low post defense since he hasn't really developed his body. Based on stats, Iggy, Allen, and George were the top 3 perimeter defenders last year.

Offense:
    He was terrible the first month of the season. One 0 point game made him go to the gym and put up a bunch of jumpshots. Since early December till the beginning of April, he averaged around 19 ppg, two threes, 4.4 ast, 2 stl on 44% FG and 81% FT. He was terrible at the end of the regular season, I thought Vogel played him too much throughout the season, maybe fatigued. He showed spurts where he could be a playmaker and create his own shot. This off-season, I've heard that hes been working on his mid range game and isolation game to not only create for himself, but others. His three point shot was pretty good until he hurt his finger (against the Bulls pretty sure). I remember he had a great shooting night against the Rockets.

Anyways, I think he has the potential to live up to the contract (5yrs/80 million) as long as can improve his offensive game (20+ PPG/45% shooting) because he does everything else so well and impacts the game in multiple ways unlike other max players such as Carmelo Anthony who just scores and doesnt really do anything else.

I

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well Josh Smith got that other albatross contract.

The other two are known top 2 superstars of this league.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, Rudy Gay's shot creating ability is if not elite, near elite. So saying George can't create like Gay isn't exactly a bad thing.

From what you said, it seems to me the Iggy/Deng comparison seems quite apt. Perhaps he's a richer version of them, but they are still the most likely comps. Obviously at the top you have the Quitter as kind of the best-case for players of these types. But from what you described, he lacks the playmaking and ball-handling skills necessary to reach that height. A lesser version of Pippen probably is worth the max. But the super-max(30% version) seems a little extreme.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What are the other options?
    They won't get Lebron or Durant type of player. Not going to happen.
    So I can understand that they are about to throw nearly everything at George. George is closer to the superstars than most talented players that they can get with this kind of market.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If a player can be a top 6 forward in the NBA two years in a row at his age, then "super-max" doesn't seem extreme at all. And if he can't, then he won't get the "super-max."

11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

He's a better shooter/scorer then Iggy.

He's more dynamic then Deng.

I just think based off potential, he is worth 5 years 80 million based on his overall game and potential growth to be a 22 ppg scorer.

NBA scout: Indiana's Paul George has potential to be top-3 player

How good can George be? Says one East scout: “He can be a Top 5, maybe even a Top 3 type of player. He still has so much raw talent, and he was a late bloomer so you can see he still plays on instinct sometimes. He is far from a finished product. He will be a great player, but I think the important thing to keep in mind is that we’re talking about Scottie Pippen great, not Michael Jordan great. He could be a lot like Pippen, but to get there, he has a lot to do, a lot of work. He can be elite, but he has to plug up some big holes in his game."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...rs-stats-salary-future-larry-bird-roy-hibbert

12. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

13. moose

moose Member

I was hoping he wouldn't sign the extension so the Lakers would over pay him.