1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul George plans to sign long-term contract with Pacers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Sep 19, 2013.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Except Rudy Gay is no where near the level of a passer George is and NOWHERE near his defensive impact.

George has more potential to be a better offensive player as well.

2. VBG

VBG Member

Is Paul George really that good of a passer or playmaker? I really haven't seen it yet.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

George can't even create his own shot like Gay. At least now yet.

Pacers essentially gave the super max to Loul Deng

4. VBG

VBG Member

Well, Paul George is a much better shooter than Deng ever was. Defensively it's about even. George is also younger and has more room to grow. He also has athletic gifts to use.

The comparison with Iggy is weird because Iggy is a really good playmaker but he can't shoot at all. George can shoot but I've never seen the playmaking ability and consistently breaking down the defense from him.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think you need to re look at Deng and George's FG%

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I can't believe he got that much money. Bad move.

7. VBG

VBG Member

Deng has never had a 3 point shot. George shoots a ton of 3s. George clearly has a better jump shot than Deng. George has a better 3 point shot as well. That results in George having a better true shooting percentage.

Or are you gonna tell me Tyreke Evans is a better shooter than James Harden because of a better raw FG%?

Don't just look at the stats. Deng has a better midrange game right now slightly but George was forced to create a lot last year for the Pacers. He only had 57.6% of his buckets assisted compared to 69.1% for Deng last year. Granger should help with that.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>$90+ million for Paul George is steep, but so is his career arc. PG at 22 is the player I hoped Rudy Gay would become.</p>&mdash; Tom Haberstroh (@tomhaberstroh) <a href="https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/statuses/382178469066452992">September 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A look at the financial implications

9. NotChandlerParsons

He was a solid 3 point shooter before the ligament injury he's never had surgery for.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Even if he's good enough to demand the max on the open market, is he so good he should get the super-max (which no other team can offer) before ever even hitting the open market? I can understand the Pacers not wanting to alienate him, but it seems like they sacrificed a precious commodity too easily. With Harden, it's easier to justify because he'd have had to win MVP to get the supermax. George just has to repeat as All-NBA Third Team. That's quite feasible, maybe even more likely than not.

11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Lol, just stop now.

You havent seen him play last season clearly.

George has already surpassed Gay, he has the potential to be a top 5 player in the league if he continues to work hard and develop.

12. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

19-7-5 with 43% shooting in his "superstar has arrived" playoff run. 16.84 PER last season.

I know he has a ton of potential, but now it's time for him to step up and be a consistent 22 on 45% guy.

13. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I think they overpaid for him , but they had to keep him to contend for a title like last year. They got better this year by adding more depth and resigning key players.

14. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Question is has he proved that he's worth the 90 mil

15. MadMirror

MadMirror Member

I guess Indiana's thinking is that not offering a supermax contract incentive to George when he's potentially elligible for one just isn't worth the risk of alienating him, because between Hill, George, Hibbert, and West the ~$2 million a year difference wouldn't buy them any additional cap flexibility for the next two (or three years, as long as Hibbert and West take their player options). They'll need to make moving Granger's expiring for quality bench depth a priority this season, though, because it will be their last opportunity to improve the roster during this window. It's hard to be too critical when they just came off of an ECF loss in seven games and have all of their critical pieces locked up for the near future.

From a distance it doesn't look like a good business move since the Pacers are basically bidding against themselves in this scenario, but I don't think it makes much of a difference in the long run. If the Rockets were in the same situation I'd probably just shrug my shoulders (and then grumble a lot when the contract becomes an albatross in years 4-5).

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't watch Pacers games. But last year George was assisted on 58% of his makes. He was assisted on 52% of his shots at the rim. For comparison, James Harden was assisted on 29% of his shots at the rim.

So what did you in games that makes you so certain George is a great shot creator?

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is a bad thing? I understand you're making a shot creator argument, but scoring off of assists generally makes an offense more dynamic. That Harden has to make his own shot 71% of the time implies to me the team isn't collaborating well.

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Did he show more than Harden did before his max contract? Harden was the 6th man on a title contender - PG was the star on a team that almost beat the Heat.

Of course it`s a bit of a gamble, but it`s a gamble Indiana has to take - and I would say it`s a gamble almost every team in the league would take. Worst case scenario, he is slightly overpaid. Best case scenario: he is a top 5 two way player in the league.

Good move by Indiana.

19. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I didn't say George was a great shot creator. I just think he has elite defense at his position, above average passer, great rebounder, and his next step is to improve his scoring ability and become a more efficient scorer.

Something around 22 ppg (45% shooting), 7 rebounds, 4 assists would make him worth that contract.

I think he can do it based off his growth every season since his rookie year.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]The Indiana Pacers have signed young star forward Paul George to a five-year maximum contract extension through the 2018-19 season, sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

The Pacers are expected to announce the deal Wednesday.

Contract terms will not be finalized until the extension kicks in next year, but George is expected to be guaranteed about $80 million. Under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, George can increase the value of the contract to more than $90 million if he makes an All-NBA team or wins an MVP award after this upcoming season.[/rQUOTEr]