1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul George plans to sign long-term contract with Pacers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Sep 19, 2013.

1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I feel like he's gonna peak as an Iguodala type player tho...he's not gonna explode like T-mac in Orlando and avg 30/10 or whatever.

2. VBG

VBG Member

I do think Paul George is the most overrated player in the NBA right now for hardcore fans.

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Great signing

George has the tools to be one of the best wings in the entire league

He plays BOTH ends of the floor and is a high character guy

Best of luck to the Pacers and George

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Indiana had to pay George since he is the best thing to happen to the franchise in a long time but $18 million a year for a guy who is realistically the third best player on a championship team sucks for the franchise in the long run.

He just isn't that good. He is a good defender and a fantastic role player overall but I have not seen anything from him that makes me think he can take the next step.

I'd take Kawhi Leonard over Paul George.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I could see the Iguodala comparison.

Maybe things will change in the future but even with the minutes and role he played last season, George hasn't shown the ability to be an offensive juggernaut.

6. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

He is already at Iggy's peak level.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The good news is that they'll have Paul George and Hibbert locked up...the bad news is that they have George Hill for another 4 yr at $8mill per.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/indiana-pacers-team-salary

Imagine if they kept Kawhi, resigned West at a discount, flipped Granger and made a play for CP3 this offseason.

CP3/George/Kawhi/West/Hibbert

8. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I don't think CP3 was never leaving the Clippers

9. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I think they should definitely trade for Rondo if he becomes available.

Granger + Hill + 1st rounder for Rondo.

They should also trade for a shooter. Redick would have been perfect.

Rondo/Redick/George/West/Hibbert

Watson/Stephenson/Scola/Mahimi

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The net trade comes out to: One year of $13mill in exchange for
    taking on an extra two years of $8mill per...

Plus, the 1st rder would have to be after 2014 since the Suns are owed that pick

Terrible trade for Boston

Send Gerald Wallace with Rondo and it becomes more palatable, but I still wouldn't do it. Rondo has to be worth more than cap relief.

11. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

That's a lot of money... I like the Pacers and George. I hope he improves at least enough to be worth it.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Ahahaha max money for a perimeter player who can't create his own shot. This is such an overpay.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Chris Paul wouldn't sign there. Even if he did, that team would be way over tax and wouldn't be able to re-sign Kawhi.

George Hill is a fine player, btw. 8 mil / year isn't cheap but it's ok.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If the Celtics trade Rondo, they need to get legit long term pieces. Granger isn't that, the pick will be low, and George Hill is only slightly younger than Rondo.

I don't love it for the Pacers either. Too much risk. Rondo has health and character question marks, and he could leave in 2 years. Even if he doesn't leave, the Pacers probably can't afford to give him max in 2 years.
    If the Pacers were the Hawks or the Mavs, a team stuck in the middle, I'd say go ahead and gamble. In this case it seems like there's more to lose than to gain.

15. Raven

Raven Member

The Pacers aren't LA, Miami, or NY. They can't attract super stars simply because their city is an attractive place to live and party. They have no choice but to overpay, and it's the same for at least 20 teams in the league.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was also surprised but what a big number we're talking about for a guy extending a rookie contract. It's because he's potentially eligible for the super-max contract, which is a 5-year extension at 30% of the cap (instead of 25%). To qualify, he has to be voted an All-Star starter twice, be All-NBA twice, or MVP. He has only this coming season to do it in. He's not been an All-Star starter before, so that's out. But, he was All-NBA Third Team last year and it's conceivable he does it again this season. And, of course he could :)p) by MVP. If he does either of those, he gets the $90m. Otherwise, he gets the $80m contract.

Harden had signed the same sort of contract, but because he was a reserve in OKC he didn't already have any All-Star starts or All-NBA selections to his name -- and had only one season to make up the ground. So, for him to get the super-max, he had to win the MVP. Unfortunately, he plays in a league with Lebron James, so he had to be satisfied with the regular old $80m contract.

1 person likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

There is hyperbole and then there is this.

No, he isn't the 2nd best two way player in the NBA.

That would be Kevin Durant.

He isn't the 3rd best two way player either, that would be CP3.

A healthy Dwight is 4th.

Then you have guys like Westbrook, Duncan, even Marc Gasol, all better. Of course we are only counting two way players here, and not even including one way players like Harden.

Paul George is a very good to elite defender who is average at best on offense. Probably overpaid at $18M and owes his contract to Frank Vogel. Player's with similar impacts on the game like Iguodala and Josh Smith would be bashed with that deal.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Due to the salary cap expecting to make a sizable jump next season from $58mil to $64mil, George and Wall should have bigger contracts than Harden regardless of meeting the criteria for 30%. Off the top of my head it should be around $2mil or so.

While surely unplanned, but the Rockets did kind of got a small break as Harden's super-max is calculated using 2013 salary cap number. That and of course as you say, Harden's inability to get 2 all-star appearances due to being a backup in OKC really did save the Rockets quite a bit of money. :grin:

19. MadMirror

MadMirror Member

At this point, George is getting the max based on his potential and he'd probably get the max from pretty much any team with room. He'll almost certainly improve considering his age, but for that max contract to be worth it valuewise, he'd have to improve substantially on the offensive end. I like him as a player, but I just don't see that happening.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Rudy Gay contract 2.0