1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul could learn so much from champions like Tom Brady, Tim Duncan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Senator, Feb 8, 2019.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I think it's true again this season: the season can pretty much be reduced to a seven-game series against the Warriors. That's what Chris Paul is for. Every other question about winning games is secondary to one series against the Warriors.

BigShasta likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Proud to be a fan of the team that sacrificed their cap so the players union President could save face!

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

It’s really not the money, it’s his age. Cp3 took us from playoff team to contender. We had an incredible season and he earned his payday.... unfortunately he is too old to sustain that over the life of the deal. I’m not mad at him though but i sure wish he was a rocket earlier in his career.

4. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

When CP3 opted into his old contract and waived his trade kicker last year to allow the Rox to be able to acquire him, he definitely got the guarantee from Morey that he would be signed to the supermax the following year.

Whether you or I think CP3 is worth the supermax is irrelevant, Morey deemed that what CP3 was asking in exchange to facilitate the trade was a fair price. Thus, the market deemed that CP3 was worth the price.

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Anything anyone says here is irrelevant. I was just stating my opinion.

6. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Fair

7. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

The big question is whether the Rockets even tried. Did they present him and his agent with the financials and say, "hey, if you take this or the cut, we will be able to add this or the much to the roster". It seems like there wasn't really much negotiation, it was just predetermined that a max offer was the case, and to me that is dumb.

Players should make as much as they can, but as a team, you have to do your part and negotiate and plead to the players desire to win a championship and give them all the examples of other players If they do decide to take the max fine, but if they are taking it under the guise that the team will be fine financially and will pay the tax, etc, well...

So the other conflicting factor is the the team sale was made after the Paul trade and whatever agreements were made there, and the new ownership obviously had a different view on paying tax, etc, than the prior.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

seemoreroyals likes this.
  10. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Chris Paul contract goes up MOREY will be in a tight situation.

CP3 won big time got a huge contract at the end of his career, has Jordan contract, Statefarm contract, Realestate investments, etc

Makes more than LEBRON, and never got pass the 2nd round before coming here.

2018-2019 $36,000,000
    2019-2020 $39,000,000
    2020-2021 $42,000,000
    2021-2022 $45,000,000

11. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

I would agree with some posters and partially agree with OP if it wasn't for this. Chris Paul is the president of the NBPA, he can't take a paycut. However, if he wasn't the president, people could argue that he could make more money after he retires if he wins a championship and maybe taking a 7/8 M paycut to facilitate that would be worth it... but I wouldn't judge him on wanting to take the money now as opposed to bet on future earnings. That being said, if the main goal of your career is to win a championship, I would say taking a paycut is the right choice.

Nothing I said matters since he IS the president of the NBPA.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can't restructure base salary downward, only upward. What Anderson did was change his Lack of Skill guarantees. But it's only less money if you cut Anderson prior to 7/10/19 (an agreed-upon date).

Not allowing players to accept paycuts mid-contract was a Player's Union demand so that owners could never pressure players to do so. Some Owners also didn't really like the idea of allowing competitors to essentially get out of bad contracts without a clean-separation buyout -- in a "you made your bed, sleep in it" way. The two sides settled on the Amnesty Provision and Stretch Provision.

13. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

I hope he can opt out his last year and restructure to something like 40m/4. He would be playing backup at most at that point anyway.

14. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

I respectfully disagree. As I am actually mad at him. And will be if we fail to advance to the Finals this year.

CP3 was brought in to be the piece that finally puts us on top. But health - or the lack thereof - is a tangible thing. No one goes back and says “we would have been champions but so and so got hurt”. That’s why I’m still flabbergasted by the amount of money we threw him.

Yes he earned “a payday”. But it needn’t have been four years.

I really see this season’s outcome as the ultimate verdict on CP3’s tenure here in Houston. So far. The early returns since he’s returned are substandard.

The problem or dilemma facing Morey though is that to trade CP3 now is like painting the rox organizatiin as not an honorable place to go. But if we wait for a legitimate reason like another injury. His trade value goes down.

Hopefully he starts playing better.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Not sure if was addressed in the OP's article or the 4 pages of this thread, but CP3 is right to take all that money because he's not a champion, yet.

Obviously they've never been in this position, but I wonder if Brady and Duncan would take pay cuts if they were as good as they are, yet non-champions by the age of 33/34 AND on the decline.

Too many people crapping on CP3 for securing the bag, are looking at it from, not just a fan's perspective, but a Houston fan's perspective. But if you were CP3, you really wouldn't try to earn as much money as you could?

Imagine if you working at a desk job, and your contract was about to expire. Your boss offers you a ton of money, but if you take this job, it would mean not being able to hire other people that might help the company thrive and gain significant positive reputation. If you take less salary, your company will be able to hire people that may put your company over the top, in terms of that reputation.

If you guys are willing to leave money on the table, y'all are liars.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Ahh okay. Thanks for the clarification!
    Lol @ “lack of skills guarantees”

17. Mr. Space City

greedy fat chris pol!

y u no take veteran minimum?!?!?

you made all the money in the world already from playing for 13 years, shoe contracts. and state farm commercials. how much more money do you need?!!?!?!?

am i doing this right?

please gimmie likes.

YOLO likes this.
  18. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Not that at all we just got put in a sticky situation if him and harden aren’t enough.

Harden contract is huge also but CP3 is more so he has to be that dude in the playoffs since he doesn’t give harden much rest during the season.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Lmao. I understand you don't want to hate, but when money affects the success of your team -- especially a salary cap sport -- pockets WILL/SHOULD be counted. Paul's bloated contract has negatively affected the team's potential. That's obvious. Thank God Harden is durable because if we had to depend on Paul, we'd be screwed.

#79 Houstunna, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Teach him health.

Most overpaid player in the league = Paul