1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pau Permanently Placed in Bench Position

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 21, 2013.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

also, Bynum was a run and gun floor spacer.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-GEbgtvOfr8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-GEbgtvOfr8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

To be serious, Pau wasn't at his best next to Bynum.

Still, Bynum was no Asik, he could catch a pass, had a bit more range than just purely layups/dunks and could draw help D. A great smart player can work with that. And Pau didn't have all these knee and ankle pains.

2. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone trashing Gasol needs to rewatch the Olympics.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The main positive would be that we would still be in the running for LBJ :eek:

#103 sammy, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. thekad

thekad Member

We already have a center and he's playing much better than Pau and doesn't hamstring our cap flexibility. There's no guarantee that Dwight stays in LA this summer.

5. supdudes

supdudes Member

You can't trash trash, you recycle it.

Gasol for athletic wing.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ah, much better Gasol discussion here than in the other thread. I agree with this in theory, but my concern (as I expressed elsewhere) is whether waiting until the summer would result in a higher trade cost for Gasol. I could see several teams being reluctant to deal for him now, given that it would compromise their 2013 cap room, and I could see the Lakers being particularly desperate to move him, considering the possibility for two years of tax savings (as opposed to one). This year's deadline could be the ultimate in buying low.

If we wait until after the Dwight/CP3 market this summer, though, I'm guessing some of those teams would come to the realization that Gasol on a 1-year deal is better than Smith/Millsap/Jefferson on a 4-year, near-max deal. The Lakers would also have just one year of tax to be concerned with. For those reasons, LA might have a much stronger trading position and command more of our young assets. Tough calculus for Morey.

I don't know whether it's worth waving the white flag on Dwight, but it should be a consideration.

1 person likes this.
  7. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Lets look at it this way...

D12 didnt want to be here and he made that known
    Pau didnt want to be here after the "basketball reasons" trade

It is safe to say that they have both hit pretty low spots in their basketball careers this season with the lakers, thus negatively affecting their trade values.

We as Rockets fans were previously excited about having Pau after the trade and wouldnt mind RENTING D12 last year for a much higher price. Why not try the same with Pau?

Both players WANT the ball in the low-post. Neither wants to hang out around the perimeter setting screens all game and shooting jumpers. HOWEVER, only one of the players are capable of EFFECTIVELY posting low, shooting jump shots, setting screens, etc ...

As our team stands today, Pau is the better FIT for our team now and for next year when his contract expires. He then becomes what Morey loves, "a tradeable asset". What this means is there is limited risk in trading for him now.

Of the 2 players, only one can EFFECTIVELY play WITH Asik while the other make Asik useless.

When compairing production to salary of both D12 and Asik, there is limited drop off (stat wise) and both essentially bring you similar skills with regards to impacting a game.

Both players are currently on "max" type contracts, but only one (in my opinion) will/can demand a full "max" contract in the future while the other, due to age, will have to realistically take a pay cut (albeit slight) from their current contract.

Its pretty obvious that the problems of the team/coach are negatively affecting both players mentally, from a basketball stand point.

Our (rockets) problem, is not running the floor...our problem is getting quality baskets in the half court set, having some sort of low post presence, having a viable big man threat for PnR, and getting much needed stops late in games.

D12 may be an increase on the defensive end and slightly better on the boards, but he can not provide the things that our team currently lacks on the offensive end.

Pau gives this team everything else we lack offensively, makes our front line very big and versitale, improves the PF position which I think he will be best at while playing with Asik.

If by some chance that he does not pan out after half a season this year + a full off-season training camp + a full season next year, or does not mentally feel comfortable or like in Houston as a city, or doesnt like the direction of the team, then we can cut ties with him, dump his salary, and try for another superstar all over again.

Its a win-win.

For basketball reasons, you have to do it. It makes our team better with limited risk.

Not to mention, if Morey thought enough of him to trade for him before, he will definately try it again this time around...thats just common sense.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I really hope he is amnestied.

Picking up Gasol for pennies on the dollar would be unreal.

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Rewatch the playoffs that use NBA regulations with teams playing actual defense. It's far too easy to take him out of a game and even when he's clicking, he still doesn't make Houston anything more than first round fodder.

Getting rid of Lin's contract and adding athletes should be the Rockets biggest priority this offseason. It's a burden, he doesn't fit the system and his ceiling is that of a backup PG in today's league.

All the upcoming teams - LAC, MEM, GSW and DEN - were built from the foundation up with true athletes who had other tools that could be honed. Mogey didnt have that basic vision and floundered around for 3 years before lucking into Harden... and now he HAS to get Cousins to sign here and upgrade all the softies like patterson and lin to give Houston a fighting chance against super teams. All these mediocre additions will do is tighten the noose on the 7th-9th seed and add unrealistic expectations.

10. rockets13champs

GOOD THING HE ON BENCH

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Baloney. Sure Bynum missed games but it didn't affect Pau either way. Plus, if you watched them play together over the last 4 years it's obvious as day how effective Pau can be at PF next to a big C.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

True. Pau is an excellent high post passer. Bynum benefited a lot from the easy shots he created.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My conspiracy theory is that Gasol is semi-intentionally tanking his game and sabotaging the Lakers season. I think he did that during his last 1.5 years in Memphis, after Battier was traded. He wasn't happy with his team's situation and the team cratered even when Gasol was still there and playing (he did miss some games, but they still stunk when he was playing). I think that he has the tendency to lose interest when he thinks he's being wronged and will act out in a passive-aggressive fashion by not playing as hard as he can.

Now, this is all my own psycho-babble of course, but my guess is that Gasol will resurrect himself once he ends up in a situation that he's happy with.

14. munco

munco Member

This is absurd but I can see it being true.

15. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Lakers are insane...he would help Rockets out big with his post game. I think his skill set could allow him to be effective (offensively) for a few more years. I actually think if he came in with right attitude we could even be contenders.

16. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

D'antoni is the dumbest coach I've ever seen.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't think Gasol is washed out AT ALL. The big men game in the Olympics is harder than in the NBA, there are a lot more rules you have to take into account (just ask TD), but not only was Pau the lynchpin of the Spain team he was able outplay all of the USA big men and give the dream team a real fight.

I think that he's really a center, and the problem is D'Antoni is taking his pt and position and giving it to Howard, and asking him to do stuff he doesn't really do. It's as ridiculous as asking Tim Duncan to float out to the perimeter so Splitter could get the shots he needs.

He has to be traded, and honestly if all it took is capspace and one of our prospects then I'm all for it, Gasol with Asik would give us a sick front court, and unlike DH Asik doesn't mind not getting shots so we could make Gasol the low post option.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

This makes a lot of sense. Casual NBA fans were saying he sucks before he got traded to the Lakers.

19. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

He had tendinitis and plantar fascitiis, hence why he has been struggling with his mobility.

And how would you remain motivated when you're nursing those injuries while being treated like trash.

Pau Gasol is a 2x NBA Champion, he led the Spanish national team to a silver medal and challenged Team USA. And last season he was basically traded to Houston, then his position was taken away by Bynum in the post. Now this season Dwight has taken his position while continuing to sulk about his touches and yet he's the one that had to make most of the sacrifices now he's been permanently benched.

Of course he's going to play like trash, why would you bother? How would you feel coming off of a great olympic campaign where all your national teammates would have idolised you when you were the man, asked you about your 2 NBA Championship Rings, and you're now being treated like dirt.

He's also had a history of 'playing soft' on the Lakers and mentally checking out of games. Heck, he was struggling last season against the Denver Nuggets until Kobe lit a fire under his arse and he dominated them in Game 7.

Pau is an emotional player, a champion, and a national hero being treated like garbage.

I'll be looking forward to when he plays against the Lakers next season.

20. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Pau hasn't been used right since Phil Jackson left. It's hard to put 2 bigs in the low post but under PJ, they were staggered and if both Pau and Bynum were on the floor, Bynum was the primary option in the triangle while Pau was the weakside option off the ball reversal. PJ also ran post up isos for Pau if there was a mismatch.

Under Mike Brown, Pau was moved to the top of the key and made primary ball handler during Horns sets. Part of it was because he's the best passer on the team but the other part is Mike Brown's offense was just unimaginative. Mike Brown also made Bynum the only low post option in his strong corner sets, which was fine until Bynum started getting doubled and tripled regularly, which led to turnovers. He also never staggered them. And nobody except Bynum was allowed near the paint which is why you'd find Pau shooting 3's.

With D'Antoni, he doesn't know what to do with a big man who isn't an elite rollman or a stretch 4. So now Pau is on the bench, which is stupid because he's one of the most versatile big men in the game.

To people just looking at stats, it looks like Pau has gone soft but for the past 2 games you got a guy who should be in the low post who's not allowed to be in the low post. Meanwhile during the Olympics he's allowed free reign and he dominates.

For comparison, Lin is basically the Pau Gasol of the Rockets. Failing to make 2 ball dominant 1's coexist vs failing to make 2 bigs coexist. I bet Lin gets relegated to the bench soon too