1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pau Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nono, Nov 4, 2012.

1. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

Only get pau if you can flip him to Minnesota for love. Minnesota did like the idea of pairing pau with rubio

2. jocar

jocar Member

No one under 26, unless he puts us in immediate contention. We are in 'foundation for the future' mode, no grandpas

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well.. I guess so much for PJax and his personnel decisions. One of Phil's demands was probably centered around them not breaking up with core, and that mostly means Pau NOT getting dealt. He would have been a big part of the triangle offense.

My guess is Pau gets put on the trade block sometime after Christmas. He's not a good fit at all in D'Antoni's system alongside Howard playing at the same time. Howard and Nash are really going to flourish together, but Gasol isn't your typical space the flour 4 man hanging out at the 3 point line.

However, its going to be tricky for any team trading for his gigantic 19 Mil salary. The only teams that could have the cap space to trade for him & make it worthwhile from a cap perspective moving forward that I can see would be Houston, Cleveland, Atlanta, & Phoenix. Any other situation and the Lakers wouldn't save much in cap savings.

The Rockets would still most likely have to get a third team involved, but a deal could still be had. The one piece I could see coming back to LA in this deal to make thing worthwhile would be Chandler Parsons & Expirings. If Im Mitch K. this is the deal Im looking for. Josh Smith from Atlanta would be intriguing, but not sure he's as good of a fit for LA as Chandler would be.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Welcome to the Rockets Pau.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Warmly welcome!

6. dobro1229

Just in case anyone is wondering what would need to happen to make a deal like this work out from a salary cap standpoint. Here is the framework for a Gasol deal to work-

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bzmncwn

Rather complex, and the Rockets are going to have to give up significant assets/players to MULTIPLE teams to make the deal worth their while. Not sure if Morey is willing to give up that much for Gasol, but who knows.

However....

If Atlanta WANTED Gasol. Here's what they could do instead-

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a9sju49

Much more simple trade. Works out for both teams given they both like their incoming all-star player. Plus the LA fanbase would be much more excited to be landing Josh Smith rather than Chandler Parsons even though... IMO, Chandler is the better fit.

#106 dobro1229, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. Sanity2disChaos

Counting chickens before the eggs hatch gets you................nowhere.

plus he is a patch-up from what we need for the future...

8. dobro1229

Im not sure I agree with this statement. Gasol is essentially a 7'1" version of Scola. His game does not rely on his athleticism, and he isn't what you would call a banger in the post. I think he will age gracefully. Plus, he is on a 2 year deal. Not necessarily a high risk move for the Rockets. The main risk is losing a player, or players they think have all-star potential.

I think Chandler Parsons is almost certainly gone if the next All-star player move the Rockets make. I love Chandler (in a very heterosexual kind of way), but lets face it, I dont think he's a superstar in the near future unless he takes a huge step forward offensively.

-Patterson- Not going to cry over losing him

-Morris- Wont cry, but he's starting to grow on me. Watch his value meter for the next few weeks. Could be a difference maker in the Rockets making a move at the deadline.

-T. Jones- probably #2 on the trade value list right now behind Parsons. For those crying about Jones not getting minutes over Patterson... If you dont want him traded, be happy about those minutes getting handed to Patterson for the first half of the season.

-D-Mo- could blow up in the face of the Rockets in a few seasons if he can develop enough to play consistent defense in the post. Still they would probably move him in a heartbeat for a proven star.

So, Pau coming to the Rockets in trade... is he worth giving up at least 2 of these players, if not 3???... Thats the question Morey has to ask himself before they work on a framework for any Gasol deal.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What if the Rockets include a big salary, like Jeremy Lin, in the deal? Then the trade be simple, no?

Anyhow, I agree that it gets pretty complicated trying to get Pau now if you keep the big salary guys (Lin, Asik) off the table, given that the Rockets only have roughly $7.8M in cap room and the rest of the guys make no morethan $2M or $3M tops, so you need a bunch of them to cobble together the difference between Pau's $19M salary and the $7.8M cap room (I don't think the "150% or $5M" rule applies here), and that requires the trade partner to waive guys on their current roster.

However, I don't think it is prohibitive if (1) the Lakers are willing to waive some of their guys (their bench guys are rather scrubby) and (2) they can find a 3rd team who is willing to waive a couple of their end of bench guys (or has less than 15 on the roster).

One other thing I'm thinking about: I don't think the "win now" Lakers are going to trade Pau just for young prospects (which are pretty much all that the Rockets have and are willing to trade), so perhaps the best way is to find a team willing to trade one of their younger-and-better-fit-than-Pau-but-still-established vets as part of the deal for Pau. I am thinking about guys like Ryan Anderson (proven to work with Dwight), Paul Millsap and Josh Smith (both upcoming Unrestricted FAs who may just leave their current team) .

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

People are saying no Pau. Just a few questions I hope can be answered:

1. Isn't Pau a top 10 PF in the league?
    2. Pau is a veteran, therefore can't he teach our young PFs (all 7 of them)?
    3. Pau can finish down low, shoot the J, and pass like a guard. Do we only dislike him because he is "soft" or from the Lakers? (I disliked him when he played for the Griz personally).

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

pau would be a great fit, as would any low-post offensive threat that can play a bit of defense next to omer

12. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I like the idea, and I see the Lakers doing a trade like this. they need young players, solid bench players and salary cap relief.
    Pat pat + Delfino + Smith for Gasol is a nice trade

And rockets needs bad inside present in the paint.
    Asik is a bad ofensive player
    Parsons is a nice 3 point shooter but he is not a scorer
    Lin has some moments but he is not a scorer
    So, we need a PF who can help Harden in ofense.

13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Given what Bima shared, I wouldn't trade for Pau unless it was next summer. Too much to give up in order to get him now and it's not like adding him now is going to put us over the top. Seems like a short sighted move. Next summer makes more sense if he's on the market then.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Number 2 is a matter of opinion. He made it very clear,that he didn't want to play for the Rockets before the trade was blocked by Stern.

15. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

I like this trade for the Rockets. But I can't imagine the Lakers giving up Gasol for just those three players. They would want Parsons too.

16. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

^^ Nevermind. Those salaries don't match at all. I wonder if the Rockets would include Lin in a trade for someone like Gasol -- not Gasol specifically, but a top player. Is Lin on the table?

17. torocan

torocan Member

Knowing Morey, Lin/Asik will always be on the table for the right trade unless one of them develops into an all-star level talent (and even then, who knows).

The tough part is getting a servicable PG and backup PG while you're at it.

I wouldn't be shocked if LA is looking to deal Pau... the question is whether the Rockets could cut a deal that interests the Lakers.

18. dobro1229

Im more interested to see how Pau would do as the main big in a P&R with Harden or Lin. Pau would give this team a whole new dimension to play with. Could really make Harden/Gasol a combo to be reckoned with in the West.

19. dobro1229

Not sure about Lin, but I think for a superstar move Asik is going to be one of the first names mentioned from the other team alongside Chandler Parsons.

Lin, on the other hand... there just isn't too many teams in need of a PG. I dont see him having the trade value initially that Asik has.

That being said, I do think that Lin will be easily moveable next season. This season, he's going to be a tough pillar to move in trade. Still has alot to prove on the court as well. However, financially if he's going to have a chance to play heavy minutes, I think an incoming team would welcome Jeremy Lin in trade .... AGAIN... IF they are going to be able to play him heavy minutes.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The big dislike is the age. I think he has a short window left. If the Rockets were close to competing, he would be great. For me, it all comes down to cost. If the Rockets can get him cheap, I'd consider it.