1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pau Gasol = Pete Chilcutt

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Kayman, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

I didn't get to see much of Pau last year, but from what I have seen so far this season he really sucks. At times he's so clueless out there he reminds me of Pete Chilcutt, in fact I think they look a lot alike.
    Anyway, it's gotta be this soph jinx going on. I remember last year thinking that Mike Miller was going to be the worst ROY ever. Now Miller looks OK and Gasol looks terrible...

2. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Are you stupid? Gasol is great, and he is playing out of position in Memphis. The quicker he gets out the better. The only players I would not trade to get Gasol on the Rockets would be Francis and Yao. Gooden is getting more shots than Gasol, so his numbers have gone down alittle and he is struggling alittle with the new coach. But Gasol=Chilcutt? HaHaHa, whatever.

3. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Gooden and Gasol play the same position so, as RF85 has stated, Pau is out of position. I understand he has been playing some center. Also, he was hurt at the beginning of the year after a strong effort in the Worlds.

Also consider fatigue, general poor Grizzly play, sophmore jinx, he's no longer 'under the radar' when evaluating Pau's performance.

I'm disappointed in his start, but a Pete Chilcut comparison is pretty harsh!

4. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I wish Pete Chilcutt was that good when we had him.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Jerry West, and Hubie Brown isn't using him right.

6. Timing

Timing Member

Chilly Pete? Get the heck outta here with that stuff. Gasol's very talented.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If Gasol is Chilcutt, what does that make Ginobilli? Derrick Chievous??

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im not saying that Gasol isnt good, but I do feel that even last year, he was overrated. I got the NBA league pass last year with my roommates, so I had a chance to see him play on many occasions (since he was on my fantasy team, I had to keep up with his progress). He is a very good player, but there is something lacking in his game that I cant put a finger on. He will be good, but not dominant. Much in the same way as Keith Van Horn.

9. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Why Van Horn? Very different animal, IMO, aside from both being tall white guys with talent...Van Horn's main problem is that he becomes too perimeter oriented, settles for the jumper, and stops moving without the ball...Gasol is kind of the opposite...goes to the rack the vast majority of the time, to the degree where guys are starting to play off of him more and more...and he never stops moving.

10. rezdawg

Although he still shoots from the outside, Van Horn's game has changed a bit this year. He is getting more shots within 10 feet of the basket. He is playing a very aggresive style of basketball right now, much in the same way Gasol attacks the hoop. The only difference is that Van Horn can shoot and Gasol cannot. However, with regards to rebounding and man to man defense, the two are very similar.

11. AMS_blackwidow

nachbar can be turned into that type of a player

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Wow -- so maybe we can pick up Gasol like we did Chilly Pete? Go for it. It'll happen,

13. bajabill

bajabill Member

Damn, someone doesn't like Gasol.......and can type and write....and knows where a BB bulletin board is located on the wwww......JOKE? RIGHT?

14. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

You gotta be kidding. Maybe you haven't been paying attention. Gasol could be playing with one hand and still be better than Chilcutt. Miller is only getting minutes when McGrady and/or Hill is out; he'll return to the bench once they get all their guys back.

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i don't mind. I like Gasol as a player, i would love for the rockets to have him,but it wil not happen.

there is no way Gasl will be the worst numder 1 pick ever,he will be a allstar in about 3 years,Watch my words

16. rezdawg

I completely agree. He will not be the worst number 1 pick ever. Oh, wait, he wasnt the number one pick.

17. arno_ed

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    ok i'l stop posting for a few days,i'm to embarresed:eek: :eek: :eek:

18. rezdawg

No prob, I was just giving you a hard time.

19. arno_ed

and you should.
    i like gasol alot as a player,but i forget alot of things fast,:( and the fact that they where rookies last year make it even more painfull.so i'm still embarrased :eek:

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Man, you are such a Chievous hater. Give Derrick a break here, okay, heypartner? :mad: You can be such a jerk sometimes.