1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patterson is SOFT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JR, Nov 15, 2012.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He has no bizness scrunching his shoulder sleeves.

2. coweye

coweye Member

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane

1 person likes this.
  3. CertifiedTroll

If i see PPatt i wouldnt be afraid to fight that sucka

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Scola has averaged over 9.0 reb per 36 every year except for last year when he was hurt, 9.2 per 36 for his whole career. Luis was a solid if unremarkable rebounder.

Patterson simply is not a good rebouner. Even in his rookie year he only averaged 8.3 per 36. He is a jump shooter that plays good PnR defense. He has still only attempted 2 FT in 241 freaking minutes. He plays the most passive brand of basketball possible

Jones has as many FT and only 1 less block in 13 total minutes. Hell even D-Mo has already equaled his FTA.

Jones and D-Mo both have vastly superior upside and need to be playing, at least Jones anyway, he is NBA ready.

5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Patrick Patterson's points and rebounds impact the game so subtle he gets his stats in the flow of the game when teams are virtually trading baskets. He is not clutch and shrinks at the end of games.

6. sidestep

sidestep Member

Ppat shoots 13 shots per 36min at a TS% of .495.
    His gets only 6.0 rebounds per 36min.
    He gets 0.4 blocks per 36min, which is even less than the point guard's (0.7).

He is just underperforming compared to other power forwards in the league. His WP48 (which is relative to other players in the same position) is only .002, which is way below average (the average for each position is pegged at .100).
    His WP48 last year was basically the same (.001), so he hasn't really improved this season.
    http://www.thenbageek.com/players/108-patrick-patterson?season=2012

Once Jones is more seasoned, I'd like to see him replace Ppat.

#106 sidestep, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I can't think of a single area in which Patterson has noticeably improved his game since his rookie season. Just disappointing.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Agreed. And it starts with effort. I see him slacking off on defensive rebounding all the time.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Looking like Patterson was as much a "Rick Adelman" product as anybody

Trade him to Wolves for Derrick Williams :grin:

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Get him out of here. He is softer than Battier.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree with you guys, but its crazy that we still see him as soft after a 14pts 8reb game. meaningless points and no rebounds in space.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rebounds in traffic

13. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Man, he just really sucks. At this point, Patterson is a Forward. Cross out the "power" part.

14. sidestep

sidestep Member

Since there has been a lot of discussion recently on the poor screens set by Patterson and Asik, I wanted to post some recent examples. These are just from the 1st quarter.

In this play, Harden gives a look to Ppat to signal for him to come over to set a pick. Notice the angle of Ppat's pick.

[​IMG]

In general, it seems to me that Ppat is not really interested in setting a good pick and more interested in slipping out of it to get open to receive a pass for a jumper. He's more looking for his own shot than giving Harden real options to work with.

In this possession, Lin takes the ball up. Ppat is only about 5 feet away, and for the next few seconds, he JUST STANDS THERE -- close enough to set a pick but never bothering to. I don't know what he thinks he's doing. Since he's there, he might as well set a pick. If he's not going to do that, then he should be moving out out of the way to space the floor better; as it is, he is just bringing up Gasol and crowding that area.

[​IMG]

#114 sidestep, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    2 people like this.
  15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Fun stat: Compare Patterson to Jordan Hill,

- If Hill was given Patterson's minutes of 30 minutes a game
    - and putting in a 3% reduction of his Lakers numbers)
    - Hill would get: 9.6 boards, 12.8 points
    a double double basically.

Patterson has a "yessir/no-sir" kinda temperament thats coachable and seemingly disciplined, but he just doesnt get down to BUSINESS.

I don't pigeonhole players to be meathead enforcers like Reggie Evans. But just like Kelvin Sampson said, its just at some point you gotta your presence in the lineup. And without the physical presence in the low blocks Patterson doesn't do enough, simple as that.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Fully agreed. They let Jordan Hill go when it should have been Patterson they should have shipped out. Patterson is probably more educated, less of a knucklehead, good guy, etc. etc. etc. - but Hill has more size and is a way better rebounder.

17. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Soft or not, PPat is still a better defender than Jones or DMo, not saying PPat is good or anything. If Smith can play the 4, then it's a different story. Playing Smith at 4 will instantly upgrade our defense!

18. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

His defense on Gasol was good for the most part i thought.In reality it was his teammates letting him down . Kobe was getting the ball to Gasol right in his sweet spots which pretty much meant patt had no chance of stoping him. Even when patt had a chace he kept asking for help defense but it seemed none was interested. Team defense was woefull.

19. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

Spot on, Ppat is annoying, he always rolls for a Jumper, roll to the basket mofo. Also I remember on one play in one of the previous games, it was last 15 seconds of the quarter, jeremy called for a pick and PPat just shook his and obviously shouted no....WTF, instead the dude just stood near the basket and offer a cut to one of his team mates of anything...

20. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

PPat shot a running floater the other night. It went in but it was soft as hell.

Anyone have a vid?