1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patterson and picks, fodder for Bosh trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowza!, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

Drafting Patterson is nice but I think he is merely one of the pieces that Houston will use to get Bosh in sign and trade. We get to keep Scola AND get Bosh.

1 person likes this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I doubt it. I honestly think with Chicago blasting away cap space it's over.

Even if Bosh came here, Toronto drafted Ed Davis so there's no need for another PF. Maybe they'll want Budinger or Brooks? Regardless, I think the dream is over

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BQcU5w915p8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BQcU5w915p8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

the rockets could offer toronto lebron james, magic johnson, and larry bird qnd it wouldnt matter. if he doesnt want to play in houston, he won't.

4. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

I don't think so. It sounded like the Rockets really liked him.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not going to happen. The Rockets are not going to trade Patterson...

6. cmiller

cmiller Contributing Member

Probably, but I'm still not sold on Bosh. I think a backup center is still a much more pressing need.

cmiller

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Patterson was picked as a safe pick that can be flippped to get an NBA player.

Similar to what the Rox did with Donte Greene.

DM said all along he was going to replace Landry in the draft, and this was that type of pick, however, everything I have read says he has limited upside, and that at best he will be a solid NBA role player.

So, to me, it was a safe pick.....

DD

8. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

All good points.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The Landry replacement is spot on. He'll play about 10-15/game off the bench to spell Scola.

You guys can forget Bosh. He'd rather play with DWade or Derrick Rose instead of Aaron Brooks.

1 person likes this.
  10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If push comes to shove, they'll let go of Patterson for Bosh in a heartbeat. It'd be stupid not too.

But it's not as if we'll have to empty the cupboard for Bosh, necessarily. If he chooses us and only us, we can give them Battier, Jeffries, Hill, and Budinger + picks and they'll have to live with it. The only way we'll have to give up more is if he puts us on a "list" of teams with which we'd have to compete and up the ante in a trade.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Then where and when do we play Jordan Hill? I am unconvinced that Patterson is a better player or has more potential than Hill.

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i feel that hill could be a solid backup C

13. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

What's wrong with having a solid bench? Solid role players? Dang! Does every player have to be a superstar?

14. Toast

Toast Member

We really are PF heavy right now.

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I guess we will find out in summer league who is more productive. Atleast give Patterson a chance to get some run before writing him off.

16. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

All good points.

17. ebatinga

ebatinga Member

Honestly...I defenitely not going to bash the pick....I think it's a good pick.... Remember what everyone was saying when More drafted Brooks and Landry...Morey's draft track record is good IMO...that's all I have to say abotu that...

18. Danbury

Danbury Member

This pick was another "building assets" move by Morey. He can now move Hill or Patterson depending on which a trade partner finds more desirable. Or, in the unlikely event Bosh actually wants Houston, he can move Scola and have more than adequate reserves at PF, as well as having chips to move if another need position opens up.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I agree here. He can bulk up a little, a little.... and that seems to be the new model 5 in the current NBA.

I saw some discussion the other day and they were citing how all the 5s above a certain weight (Yao, Big Z, Shaq et al) were constantly being injured.

The new 5 is a lengthy, quick transitional player. Seems like Hill could become that.

I'm not saying that PP couldn't be moved, but it seems to me that he's a guy that our staff really, really liked. Anyone on our squad could be moved except for Yao because he's a goldmine for the franchise.

Make Yao a power sub to extend his season/career.

20. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Why would he be a good trade asset for Toronto. If the Raps liked him so much, they would have picked Patterson one pick before the Rockets. They went with a different PF (Davis) instead.