1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pats release Haynesworth - should the Texans pursue?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Marteen, Nov 8, 2011.

?

Should the Texans give Haynesworth a crack at it?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    87.2%
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

normally I would say absolutely, but they dont really need him. I wouldnt mind it but cody has been better lately.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I know I'd be pissed if I was #99. He has to run around Haynesworth while chasing the ball.

3. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Earl Mitchell?

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I understand the rightful concern about Haynesworth. I'm just saying, if Texans pick him up, I'm not going to Reliant Stadium with a Pitchforks and Fire. It's more of a "*shrug* why not" stance I'm taking.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I wanted a big gap plugging NT and probably would still prefer one. I was especially harping for one early in the season when rbs were gashing runs through the d's soft underbelly. But that problem looks like it's been resolved by Cushing hitting the gaps with his 09 ferocity, as well as the improved play of Shaun Cody.

That being said why would someone even suggest acquiring Haynesworth in the middle of a successful season? He's not driven, and he isn't even a 34 nose. He only prospered ages ago in Tennessee's spread 43. The only one who thought he'd work as a 34 nose was the same guy who's got a qb carousel of Grossman and Beck.

6. Marteen

Marteen Member

Geez. My feelings are hurt. :)
    Hey, it's not crazy to think this. I know he hasn't been playing great. I'm not saying to automatically make him a starter. It's not a totally bad idea given the fact that he was once a dominant defensive player. There's a reason they have the "NFL Comeback Player of the Year" award, you know. Just saying the Texans wouldn't be out of their minds if they picked him up.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i really wish people would atleast act like they have been paying attention, before making threads like this.. haynesworth was released from washington because he refused to play in the 3-4...

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It is crazy, and they would be.

Remember how Randy Moss bounced around the league last year and couldn't get a job this summer because teams realized he no longer gave a damn and wouldn't put in effort?

Take that, add a bunch of blubber to make it even more apparent that the player has no intention of putting in reasonable effort into being a pro (let alone comeback player of the year), and you have Haynesworth.

He has no stats because he doesn't even try when he's in the game. Some defensive linemen effect the play without getting stats, but that's not the case here. He's literally a waste on the field, and doesn't care.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If a defense that's struggling as much as the Patriots, and a coach as good as Belicheck, couldn't turn him around... what makes you think any other team would have more success?

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'd take him, if he wants to play in a 3-4 scheme.... Its funny to see folks,recently, wanted garbage ass DBs off the waiver wire , but when a former All-World DT is available that has a lil baggage, its a Hell NO!!!... There's more of a chance a DT will have an immediate impact than a corner in a 3-4 ...

11. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XFzp3uHua40" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dude is fat, lazy and just not worth it.

I'd rather have Earl Mitchell at this point.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Because we got Wade "Rockstar" Phillips. DUH! :p

In all seriousness, I think he might be able to turn it around(not saying much) in Detroit or Philly. And well, very much a possibility not.

13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

LOL,,, I know he has at least 1 impact play since leaving Tennessee.... Dont show the bad, gotta show the good to ...LOL

14. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

He's had only 3 tackles since joining the Patriots.

Dude is a bum and washed up. He can't and won't play in a 3-4. Can't you see what a disaster he was in Washington?

15. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Also, we really don't need him. Cody has been beasting it and Mitchell is more than enough as a backup for now.

We can just address the NT position in the draft.

16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Every FA in Washington is or has been a disaster... So I'll give Al a pass on that .... I still think he can be of value to a team somewhere.... Cody is ok , nothing spectacular.. But since we have a great D, no need to **** it up...

17. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

This guy is pathetic, he has not shown a single sign of life in over a year. He was an all pro tackle what, 3 to 4 years ago? Do some of you follow any football outside of Texas? He was a back up on the most pathetic defense in the league. A team that is starting one of our back ups from last year ( mark Andersen).

Don't even bring up the db argument, thats just ridiculous it wass obvious last year anyone could have come in and challenged our DBs from last year for pt. Haynesworth would just be an unnecessary waste of time and a bit of a distraction.

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lower your tone when you making your point mane... Like I said, no need to **** up a great thing .... Just last week folks were wanting to bring in DBs that had maybe 1 good year... Haynesworth was an allpro... DTs play at high level well into their mid 30's... Just sayin its worth a look because of the fact its a position that endorses fat, oversized athletes in this particular scheme

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Mark Anderson was a great FA add last year, the former Texan scrub you should be referring to is Antwan Moulden.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't get it. Is he just not good anymore? He was the best DT just two years ago. He was a one man wrecking crew. Now he gets cut by two teams in less than a year?

I mean, if he just doesn't care anymore, why won't he just retire? I know he signed with Washington for the money, and I know Washington cut him due to him not being worth that big paycheck. But he picked NE and he took a small deal. So I don't get why he couldn't cut it there. If anything, he had the incentive to play well so he can con another owner out of a big contract.

Right now Haynesworth just looks very scary gamble to me. And I don't know if we need such a gamble. That said, he does fit with our scheme. He's not a 3-4 NT, but that's not what Wade's system want(hence why Cody works). But his attitude is a huge problem and probably not worth the trouble.

That said, I like him better than picking up problematic receivers like TO, because DTs don't need to have chemistry with the QB, run routes specific to our intricate offense, etc. As long as the guy has motor, he'll contribute. But the guy seems to have no motor right now.