1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I really don't like the idea of him taking a chunk out of Jones' minutes. Although he'd be better than Casspi. There are plenty of stretch guys that are genuinely deadly in this league. I imagine a player like Channing Frye is attainable (and would expire with Asik & Lin) who can offer a real stretch threat. I just don't think what Patterson does is all that valuable. Then again, he's only paid what, 3 million?

3. Raven

Raven Member

Wow, he's not even 25 yet.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Just about anybody would be better than Casspi and Garcia at this point. Smh at James Johnson signing by Memphis... :mad:

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I never understood this.

With him I never expected to hear anyone call him soft at the NBA level, especially the way he crashed the boards and threw down on players in college. I don't know how much you can blame this on that knee injury, it's been a few seasons behind him.

PatPat reminds me of Robert Horry, so much potential yet all they do is sit back and hit mid-range to three point jumpers. Don't get me wrong they are pretty sufficient at it, yet there was still so much potential left untapped.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Very underappreciated as a player. Would be a perfect fit on this team.

7. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Unless you give up a first rounder or DMo,no Chance

8. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Was there a bet?

I recall Robinson, Lamb, White and Jones being in the 2012 Alumni Draft class.

1 person likes this.
  10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

What did Carl "win"?

Was he right that Patterson is a better player than Robinson? Probably.

But that wasn't necessarily the ultimate goal for the Rockets in the Robinson trade.

In hindsight, the Rockets were BETTER OFF trading for Robinson, for the simple fact that the ALLURE of "Thomas Robinson The Top-5 Lottery Pick" was far greater than for "Patrick Patterson The Serviceable Fourth/Fifth Starter".

I seriously doubt that Daryl Morey could have flipped Patrick Patterson before July 10, 2013 (when the July Moratorium ended and Dwight was to have made his decision on his next team) for anywhere close to the FOUR second round picks that Morey got for Robinson (which includes the draft rights to Kostas Papanikolaou, a first round talent). Heck, given the Rockets' desperate need to clear cap room, it was likely that the Rockets would have either gotten very little for Patterson; or (depending on how hard-ball other GMs were playing) the Rockets may have even needed to throw in cash or a pick to get Patterson off the books!

Again, while Patterson may be the better player right now between him and Robinson, the Rockets were better off in hindsight by making that trade for Robinson.

2 people like this.
  11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree. On the spectrum between "competing" and "tanking", I think Toronto shades closer to "competing". Not so much because they can beat either the Pacers or the Heat, but it's been a long time since they've done anything and they have a good shot at making the 2nd round.

Toronto probably places more value in Patterson than a tanking team would, which means we won't be able to get him on the cheap.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While we did get more for TRob than Patterson, I doubt any of those players or picks will amount Patterson's play during the window that we need it. Yes Patterson is soft for a 4, but if you want/need a stretch 4, which would be nice to have at times, he fills the bill. Jones is a great player but he's not a stretch 4 and neither is DMo. I think not having the stretch 4 is hurting Harden's game more than anyones.

And we could have traded DMo and Smith instead of Patterson in 2013 to clear room for Howard.

Trading Patterson was not a good deal then or now. Neither was letting Dragic go and signing Lin. I like Morey. He's done a great job but sometimes he gets a little too trade happy.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As it turn out, Daryl didn't make the mistake. Portland did. Daryl was smart in knowing that Portland would be stupid enough to bail him out.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't we trade him because we didn't want to pay him after his rookie contract? Getting him back now is an admission of misjudgment of his value back then. But Morey has shown that he's not afraid to admit and get rid of his mistakes.

Patterson's jumper has always been money ever since his rookie year. By the time we traded him, he has stretched his range to the 3pt line. I'd love to see DMo blossom. But Patterson is clearly the better player than Donuts at this point.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pat isn't just a decent player and jumpshooter he is a serviceable leader, majored in Communications.

Solid pick, good young intelligent guy with work ethic and no hoax like White or high profile kid like Trob.

You know you won't get a sure Allstar or Star but a solid contributor and starter for many years from the Draft going forward. You get what you see.

Donuts has higher ceiling but could disappoint more because of it.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Gee, one decent game on a mediocre team in a historically bad Leastern conference and people are waxing poetic about Patterson. Give me a break. The guy cannot rebound, cannot defend and is not a particularly good shooter. Nobody on this forum was crying anything but crocodile tears when he was traded. Since he was a member of Houston's team last season he has bounced around like flotsam in high seas in the NBA. Houston did not value him. Sacramento did not value him and he was just an after thought in the Rudy Gay trade. Toronto will probably package him up in some future trade as a filler. He is not even good enough to earn a starting job against the derelict power forwards of the Leastern Conference. I know Rockets fans are nostalgic for their former players, but to say that Houston would be a better team with Patterson is almost delusional. On the positive side he seems like he is a good teammate, but he has NBA journeyman written all over him. Bye bye Patrick Patterson.

#36 jtr, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some of the better players in the NBA were journey men.

Including Horry, Rodman, Webber....

Some bounced more some bounced less.

Moses Malone once played for 9 teams.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't always agree with you, but when I do I feel mind ****ed

19. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

As far as Patterson being a better player in the long run, he was right. My bad, should have clarified.

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Patrick's a good NBA player who will probably play another 10 years in the league. It's nice to see that he's starting to get his defensive rebounding numbers up to respectable levels.

I guess it's just hard for me to appreciate a player with such a vanilla style. He's a guy with a very reliable jumper, but he doesn't create his own shot or draw fouls. He doesn't turn the ball over, nor does he show much creativity off the bounce or as a passer. He won't make silly mistakes or blow rotations on D, but neither will he make a spectacular play or shut someone down. It's pretty funny looking at his career On/Off court stats:

Team ORTG
    On Court: 108.4
    Off Court: 108.4

Team DRTG
    On Court: 108.1
    Off Court: 108.2

Team eFG%
    On Court: .503
    Off Court: .503

Opponent eFG%
    On Court: .504
    Off Court: .503

I'd be fine with bringing Pat back, at the right price. I'd be fine with not getting him if the asking price was too steep. I don't particularly miss the guy as a player, and I have a feeling the team doesn't either.