1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Oct 13, 2010.

1. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

He's just getting his foot wet and its only the preseason. Right now its all learning experience. If you watch carefully, he is just hesitant. Wait until after the All Star break, then you can make this thread. But don't make threads like this on a rookie a few games into the preseason.

2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Old Man River needs to chill out.

3. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

WOW Carl.... I saw that 30/30 also and you do realize he was a unknown european rookie trying to take minutes from All-Star Clyde Drexler and competing with a very good vet in Danny Ainge and Terry Porter.... C'Mon Man! He was supposed to wait at least a year and a half....

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

PP is a cerebral player. Most of cerebral players do not play "confidently" right out of the gate. They take time to learn and ease themselves into the flow. I wouldn't take too much stock on that observation just yet.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A fair enough point.

DD

7. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Seems like this thread is a bit of an overreaction. From what I've seen from Patterson, he makes good decisions with the ball. He knows when to take it himself, and he knows when to pass it off. He's done well rebounding, and with time, it is already evident that he will be a good presence down low. Give it a year or two, and he might even be starting over Scola.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Probably not in a year. But in a couple of years, I could see him starting over Scola, depending on how much decline we see in Scola between now and then (or, if we don't trade him).

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Also, to add onto what Easy said...

Patrick and Jodie Meeks carried the team the last year that Billy Gillespie was here. When he had to perform, he did.

Though I will also add that when he had players better than him in Cousins and Wall last season, he knew when to defer and at times it was to his detriment. He almost deferred too much and would disappear.

That is something he has to work on, but I have no doubt that he will do whatever is asked of him... so having good coaches to work with him is definitely a good thing.

1 person likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sounds familiar... Shane? Though I think he has better physical tools than Battier.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Roslolian, we're talking late lotto vs top 5. Just as u mentioned those same guys, i can throw clyde drexler,jordan,hakeem,barkley, pippen, and karl malone as examples of high upside guys who became great players. Of course, most of those guys are high picks,but we're talking high ceiling types.

Back on patterson, i think he's going to be a solid player and its nothing wrong with that. Posters see or read how he was the man, but gave it up because wall,cousins and crew came to town. Some view that as a positive,but i view that as a guy who will never be an all star or special. There is something about self confidence and wanting to dominate with your talent. When they drafted him, the first thing i said was they have another go along,get along player. He will have a solid, george lynch type of career.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm thinkng his defense wll get him some more playing time the rest of the pre-season. After that, who knows. They did mention that Scola too will have reduced minutes so maybe that would allow for some time per game for Patman. It's going to be very difficult.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I just want to note that Larry Sanders had another special night!

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Patterson had a better game.

15. cuddie

cuddie Member

If you'll recall, Landry didn't get significant minutes until about halfway through his rookie season, where he surprised pretty much everyone. Patterson just has more hype as a lottery pick, I'm sure he'll be fine.

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That's funny!

Going to the mom's basement/fat/internet p*rn trifecta!

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually DD I think this is what's holding our boy PP back....he has a role player mindset.

I don't why he has it, in college the year before Cousins and Wall came he was the number 1 and go-to guy. However starting last year he seemed content to just be another battier, an elite role player instead of a main man. And I think its a shame, with his skillset AND with his frame he could be a rich man's Al Horford. Heck, if he had Brook's attititude I think PP has the tools and athleticism and size to be a legit franchise player.

I hope he changes his attitude, because honestly its a shame to have such a talented big men be so passive on the court.

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Ding, Ding, Ding...

That's exactly the impression folks are getting when watching PP: he defers.

Look, this is OK for now that he is a rook, but being passive in years afters will hurt him.

Take charge, young man!

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He did it because he's the step child, not Calipari's flesh and blood. He has to clean the chimney while the step sisters go to the ball in order to survive. Luckily, the fairy godmother Daryl came to rescue him. But he's still kind of shell-shock from the prior abuse.

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Guys, thank you for your kind words, both Da Dakota and leebigez.
    Looking to possibly our new team. Y :p