1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson vs. Thomas Robinson Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Again, if Robinson turns out to be little better than Morris or Patterson, then this trade is not worth it. Why would we want to trade away a starter for someone who is worse now and will only be marginally better than him in the future?

I know a lot of people here hated Patterson because of his weak rebounding. But Patterson is not some worthless scrub. He is a decent rotation player who had been contributing to the team, and most importantly fit what we needed to make a playoffs run.

I am not against this trade. Bottom line, this trade is a good deal if:
    1. Robinson turns out to be a borderline star, or
    2. Morey uses him as a better trade asset to get an elite player.

I don't know how likely #1 will happen. It just doesn't have enough evidence yet to judge him either way. Honestly, I have more confidence in #2, but it depends on opportunities.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Would it not make more sense to do a D-Mo - PPat tracking thread? That is what the trade was all about wasn't it? Well besides Thomas "Trade-asset" Robinson.

3. FearTheBeardJH

Just because players aren't skilled and are more raw doesn't mean the got more potencial.

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Could have just traded Morris for a 2nd and accomplished the same thing without the Ls.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Here's another fun comparison:

Patrick Patterson, Feb 27th of his Rockets rookie campaign:
    8 mins, 2 points on 1-4 shooting, 2 rebounds, 5 personal fouls (seriously. 5 fouls in less than 500 seconds)

Clearly a bust. Come on gang! Let's break out our Jump to Conclusions Mat!

[​IMG]

And in case you thought that was as selectively misleading as Carl's OP, Patterson was a 4-2 guy that month getting regular minutes off the bench, and a little less than a 5-3 guy to that point in his rookie campaign.

Not sure why Rockets fans have become so focused on finding a player to loath for no reason at all, but it's become a disturbing trend this past year.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Didn't realize that this was TRob's 1st NBA game ever.

You rag on those that point out this is really more of the same while skewing false numbers to support your belief that he's going places.

7. thekad

thekad Member

Who cares? Patterson was awful. Compare Robinson to the players on the bench who could be contributing instead.

8. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Patterson is not awful but I do believe he has reached his ceiling and his ceiling is not good enough if we want to be contenders. We had to trade him either way. The question is did we make out in the trade or did we lose big? I'm hoping Morey has a bigger vision that we aren't seeing or didn't see last night but I'm willing to give it more time. Judging a player on 8 minutes is ridiculous.

9. teebone21

teebone21 Member

our best pick n roll defender and best midrange shooter was awful??? please kindly STFU:mad:

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

i thought the trades were meant to open up playing time, the incoming pieces were inconsequential, just so happened to be a 'high profile' player, but im sure if it wasnt the kings, that ppat and mook were gone regardless to some other teams. trying to compare what ppat and robinson do in games to guage winners and losers in the trade is an exercise in futility because DMo is the guy the team wanted to have an increased role. hell, jones isnt even getting any time. says alot.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

According to McHale, Morris was pretty much gone, for getting DMo minutes. But he was completely caught by surprise that Patterson would be moved. Like Carl Herrera said many times, if the goal was just giving DMo PT, trading Morris was enough. Trading Patterson hurt our playoffs chances unless DMo matures real fast, which is possible.

The Patterson trade was clearly for Robinson's value. Morey saw the opportunity and jumped on it. And I think most of us doubters aren't saying that the trade was bad. But we won't celebrate it as a clear winner until Robinson pans out (or until Morey is able to flip him for an elite player).

I believe that most people who are ecstatic for this trade are either Patterson haters or somehow sure that Robinson will become a borderline star. I think neither is totally rational.

1 person likes this.
  12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey is not in the process of finding "good players who help us win games." He's in the process of finding a second superstar... or failing that, finding a 2nd star.

If the Rockets had Dwight Howard on this team right now, is on pace to win 55 games, and considered to have a great shot at winning the championship, then this debate would make sense.

But given the current situation of the team, the only question one needs to ask is, what's the likelihood that either player may become an all-star level player?

Answer: Patterson 0%, Robinson > 0%

13. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

This thread is pointless. Especially for the purpose of comparing them this season. And yes, comparing D-Mo to Patterson makes more sense.

1 person likes this.
  14. shanncai

shanncai Member

both good players with differents styles
    ppt more outbound and familiar with the team while TR more inbound but need more time to go with
    see more potential from TR
    even with 8 minutes vs bucks, see some valid qualities from TR
    houston definitely has to figure a way out with TR

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Well someone's on their period. lol

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Not awful at all really. Stop exaggerating.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

knee jerk, but then, I dun even see him hustling in that 8 mins.

TRob might not be a better player than 2pat, but his trade value is much higher.

Could just see Morey trading him for a high pick coming season.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The same logic got us TWill and Royce White. But I digress.

You are oversimplifying. The question is not whether Robinson has a chance of being a star. It's HOW MUCH chance, and HOW MUCH value we are paying for it. If you knew that he had a 1% chance of being a star, and 80% chance of ending up worse than Patterson or Morris, would you still want to trade for him?

Well, none of use really know for sure how likely Robinson will become a star player. Each of us may have our opinions. But they are not based on facts. They are just opinions. I am sure Morey has a better way of assessing the chances, and I am not doubting him. So let me repeat, I am not against this trade. I am just not like so many people here already declaring this a no-brainer win. Some even suggest that Robinson is somehow our savior for our rebounding problem (which doesn't even exist).

I just feel that this board sounds eerily like the times when we got Royce White. I am not saying that Robinson will be like White. Just saying that I'm not gonna celebrate prematurely this time.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

The same logic also got us Motiejunas, who was at the time considered a failed prospect(dropped to 20 after being top-10 the year before). If your point is that these type of gambles generally don't pan out? I agree. It's why everyone on this board calls these moves "gambles."

I am oversimplifying things, of course. But the reasoning behind is basically why Morey made this trade. He basically chose ceiling over floor. The details and the weighing between the two obviously is much more complicated, but the essence of the trade still boils down to that.

No. Our opinions are based on facts, from his draft position to his play to his scouting report. In fact, I'm sure YOU are making your opinion based on the fact that Robinson has sucked so far this year. So you're being hugely disengenuous if you're just trying to act like none of us know anything.

We all know something. We just don't know how much those something matter in terms of his long term potential.

This is a no-brainer win because we have more upside on this team now than we did before the deadline. From an NBA standpoint? Perhaps this isn't a huge win, as the Kings may end up with the better player long term.

But as a Rockets fan? I don't particularly care.

Huh?

Rockets draft White
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=221938

vs.

Rockets trade for Robinson
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=234107

20. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

He certainly looked lost yesterday that's for sure. and everyone agree that he managed to contribute quite a bit to the loss for how little time he was on the floor. (even regardless of how little time he was on the floor, -18 is just awful.)

I would say that on the bright side though, Houston's track record or player development in the last couple year have been off the charts. Morris went from garbage fire to something useful... not to mention the current pull out of rabbit hat bench.