1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson Perfect Fit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

He's the perfict fit playing for Rick Pitino and Kentucky. For everyone else, he's worthless.

2. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I guess it depends on whether you think our offense or defense needs more help. Offensively Love is a better fit, defensively I think Aldridge is a better defender and can also slide to the 5 when Howard sits. Love can't do that, so if you get Love (you won't complain) you still need a decent backup 5. If you get Aldridge, he could be your starting 4 and backup 5. Either way, if the Rockets could find some way of getting either of them they are definitely in the contender conversation!

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Have you watched Rockets basketball the last couple of years? I'm assuming you have. Then, you should know those stats don't mean anything. Any Rockets fan from the last 3 years knows Patrick Patterson is money from midrange. I don't need a stat to back it up. I've seen it a hundred times.

Now, what I am not that great at discerning is how good of a defender Patterson is. I know for a long time he was well regarded on this forum as a defender - esp. on the pick and roll. Things somewhat soured on him last year. It would be great if someone had some stats on his defense. I don't have access to Synergy or anything.

At the four spot, I am basically interest in a comparable player as any other role player on the team - a fairly good defender who can hit the open shot. I haven't read anything in this thread to convince me Patrick would not fit the bill.

4. oakdogg

Man, why are you people talking about Aldridge and Love? Yeah, of course, they would make the team better than a role player like PPat. They aren't obtainable.

5. oakdogg

If he's so replaceable, name some players? List some dudes who are 1) obtainable; 2) can stretch the floor with 3 point shot or even good midrange; and 3) are competent defenders. I'm not saying there aren't any. I just don't happen know that many at all. I'd like to learn of a few more.

Ersan Ilyanova is the only one that really jumps out at me.

You added nothing to this thread.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I've said it a few times, but dont be shocked if Morey tries like hell to get him at a bargain (if not for free) from Ujiri. I dont see him as someone Ujiri will want to resign this Summer, and if he can get some sort of asset for him at the deadline, he will probably jump at the chance.

You'd have to wonder if this is a chance for Morey to finally capitalize on Sergio Llull as a trade asset in this scenario. Llull could be someone that Toronto has their eye on overseas and with the PG spot wide open next year, they could very well decide that he would be an interesting asset to acquire and plan on bringing over at some point.

Papanikolaou could be an interesting trade asset for Toronto as well.

If they didn't bite on a deal like this, I'd be ok sending a 2nd rounder over their way if it came down to it, but would be hesitant at first.

I do have some concern about stunting the growth of Jones in this case, but I think if they are just renting him for the last few months of the season, and in the playoffs, it helps the team tremendously by giving them a true stretch 4 option, a quality team defender at the 4, and someone who is familiar with the players and the system who they dont have to bring back next year if they dont want to.

7. Andrew Wiggins

If we traded Asik (and Lin) for an expiring then I could live with Patterson being a plan B signing. He would want something long term though.

Beverley
    Harden
    Parsons
    Patterson
    Howard

Carl faints!

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

When did Patterson play for Rick Pitino?

9. Red Glares

Red Glares Member

Should've pulled a trade for Milsaps. This team will not be able to acquire Love or Aldridge.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Raptors are 8-2 after acquiring Patrick Patterson. During the same stretch, the Rockets are only 6-6. #AdvancedStats

11. NotChandlerParsons

I'm convinced he is tanking his value so Morey can resign him on the cheap and he can torture us more with his exceedingly mediocre play.

12. oakdogg

So, does anybody have any defensive stats that shows what kind of defender Patrick is? I've always had the impression he's alright. I admit I am not the most savvy with advanced stats right now.

13. tonman

tonman Member

we do NOT need a stretch 4. we only THINK we do.

14. oakdogg

Granted. There are lots of ways to go. This offense just seemed to really be humming last year when we had stretch 4's before the trades.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He would help, but let's not kid ourselves: we're in trouble if re-acquiring a player like Patterson is considered our "big move".

16. tonman

tonman Member

it was because we didn't have any post presence and I don't count asik as a post presence. so when you stretch the floor with 4 guys, it helps asik out as well as allow penetration and PNR from multiple sources.

with Dwight, you only need proper spacing between the 4 and the 5 i.e. it can be High/Low. it just doesn't need to be to the 3 point arc. someone who can knock down a 15 foot jump shot can be just as effective in spacing as someone standing at the 3 point line.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Great team win tonight. We never gave up. Great intensity. +40 <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ontothenextone&amp;src=hash">#ontothenextone</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Patterson (@pdpatt) <a href="https://twitter.com/pdpatt/statuses/422212964821630976">January 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.nba.com/games/20140111/BKNTOR/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

+40 was Patterson's +/- tonight.

18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I like how pattersons game improved he looks happy in Toronto.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I suspect the cost for him was too high.

20. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Chris Bosh is perfect fit