1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Patterson in the future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, Jan 9, 2011.

1. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I'm thinking Blake Griffin Kobe Bryant

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You keep that optimism! :) Reality is overrated!

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think Gersson Rosas said when they drafted Patterson that they see him as a solid NBA player, likely topping out as an above-average starting level player.

Both Rosas and Morey said that Patterson was actually the most effective low-post player in college basketball, which actually surprised me. Look for them to further develop Patrick's low-post game in the offseason.

Patterson should become a good all-around PF in this league. I don't foresee any All-Star appearances in his future, but I could possibly see him getting in an All-Star Game one year as a "David West" type (good, efficient scoring year while having a winning season playing off a great #1 option), which is probably what LTF was referring to when he made that claim.

(P.S. Those looking for a nickname for Patterson, the other night, Worrell and Bullard said that Patrick himself likes to be called "P-Patt", which has been his nickname for many years. I'll go ahead and honor that request rather than trying to find another nickname for him.)

4. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Some like to call me a realist. I'm just keeping the nation of clutchfan honest.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We should just trade scola and start Patterson.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

David West is exactly the person I was thinking of (GET OUT OF MY HEAD!) when looking at Patterson, though I'm not sure I could adequately articulate why. I don't watch West enough to comment on his defense, but he seems to be a good jump shooter with offensive moves and a solid rebounder.

I remember hearing the low-post comment as well. I also remember in summer league, the Rockets were trying to get Patterson to stop taking as many threes and play more in the block. He was averaging around 2 three-point attempts a game in the summer league, but he hasn't shot ANY since being called up to the NBA. Perhaps they have gotten through to him?

We need to see more of him in the low post -- as I said, I'd love for the Rockets to call some post-up isolations for him. He's a great teammate and is obviously willing to do anything to help the team win.. now we need to cultivate a mentality of being more aggressive on offense.

7. Muaz

Muaz Member

I know this has been stated many times already, but at his freshmen and sophmore years at Kentucky, he was the one doing the work in the post. Hes still capable of doing that. So yea don't put him in the 2nd tier yet. I think he'll probably be a David West player. Patterson gots even more potential then he's showing.

and also David west has 2 all star appearances I think Patterson could probably get 1 or 2 as well.

8. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

It is still too soon to know what the ceiling is for either PPatt or Hill. To those of you that think we would already be seeing how much raw talent they both have, I point out that Larry Bird made it to the HOF without much raw talent at all. Even Hakeem, several years into his career, was projected to be surpassed by David Robinson, by his coach at the time (Bill Fitch, I think - it was a long time ago). Something happened to Hakeem, and he put his career into a higher gear. When he kicked Robinson's butt in the playoffs, it was the same year that Robinson won the MVP. It was several years into his career before he looked like HOF material.

As for PPatt being better trained than Hill: that is more an indicator for Hill than for PPatt. Hill will learn technique. Right now, he's still getting by on raw talent. Hill can learn (fingers crossed).

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not worried about his post game. Post moves can be learned and he is a learner. And as some have pointed out, he did well down low in college.

I was actually surprised by his smooth jumper at the Orlando game. He has a quick release and very nice form. That will make him a very good PnR guy.

Aggressiveness is probably his biggest hurdle. It took Yao some time to be aggressive. So there is hope.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He doesn't have to be a special scorer or rebounder,just consistent. He isn't an Okur or Murphy type outside shooter,therefore it will be better for him to develop an all-round game, rather than rely primarily on jump shooting as his primary scoring weapon.

11. anchel

anchel Member

Patterson has always been a post player, in fact, a center until his last season in Kentucky with the arrival of Cousins. If you look into his college career you'll see that he was one of the most efficient post players in college basketball, playing near the basket.

We didn't use Scola's post game in his rookie year neither. This issue does not mean he can't play back to the basket. They are rookies, coaches don't count with them when they create the offense/sets.

*Morey talked about him as a potential very good starter, maybe an all-star someday.

12. amaru

amaru Member

Chuck Hayes meets Carl Landry

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking of this. +1 well said!

14. akiracy

akiracy Member

Udonis Haslem?

1 person likes this.
  15. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

These are my thoughts as well. He needs to look for his shots and opportunities more.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Not a bad guess. I'd be moderately satisfied if his career follows the same trajectory as Haslem's.

But I think Patterson can be better. Let's hope he is.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I feel like Patterson will never look as good on the boxscore as his play would indicate. I see him as the guy who does all the dirty work, has no weaknesses, but won't put up 20/10 every night.

On a championship team, he'd be known as a Horace Grant type player. On a losing team, he's the guy no one cares about, and will trade willingly for some kid who can jump out of the gym.