1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick McCaw. The Warriors are just unfair.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Outlier, Oct 15, 2016.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

What is the big reason for Cavs to spend 1.7 million on him? You can spend 1.7 million to hire a good gm.

Improve 2 wins this year?

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget that NBA is a business. This is a GM and an agent probably working something out that may benefit the Cavs in the future.

saleem likes this.
  3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

""

Vivi likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

No surprise here, this definitely was the Cavs lending a hand to McCaws agent.

5. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

I would be interested if the Rockets would try to pick him up via waivers (and take the financial hit by needing to waive MCW/Melo). I know he’s a SG but based on the WCF his length can give some forwards issues and he could at times guard 1-4.

It’s probably not financially feasible so I doubt it’ll happen, but it would be interesting bringing in a former Warrior player who knows their playbook.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He really doesn't seem very good. Rather wait till after the trading deadline and buyouts to even entertain the idea .

7. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

I don’t necessarily think he’s the best but I do think he’ll be light years better than MCW. However I agree that the financial hit may not be worth it.

8. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Step 1: Done.
    Step 2: Pending.

9. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lulz

**** you Worriers, love that the Cavs screwed them.

Sledge187 likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

McCaw knows his rights.

Rock Block likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Cavaliers being swept in the Finals against the Warriors must be their payback on signing Patrick McCaw

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Why? He was a RFA, Warriors had the right to match. They didn't want to.

And it was a non-guaranteed deal. He had to be on the roster past January 7th. Cavs waived him just like the Wizards waived Ron Baker, Raptors waived Lorenzo Brown, Wolves waived James Nunnally & the Rockets trading MCW.

Warriors are b****es & so is Adam Silver.

BigShasta, arubato and TheRealAllpro like this.
  15. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Horse$hit! If there's a loophole, then close the loophole. The Warriors were using the rules to keep this guy under their thumb. But it's unfair if he uses the rules to get out from under them?

Vivi, heypartner and J.R. like this.
  16. heypartner

Warriors are b****es, and Silver might be, too. And I certainly can't back this complaint, whatever it is.

But here the league is following its own constitution and by-laws. Formal complaints require formal reviews. The league is not allowed to decide which formal complaints to review or not. So, maybe this is just stupid paperwork.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cavs’ signing Patrick McCaw to a big NG offer sheet so GSW wouldn't match, then waiving him, isn’t overtly illegal (though it creates a bad look for the image conscious NBA to have its teams attack each other like this). But if it’s being investigated, I can see 3 possible paths:

PATH 1: It would be circumvention if the Cavs were to be found to have had a financial arrangement with (or have offered a financial inducement to) Patrick McCaw while he was a Warriors restricted free agent.

PATH 2: If the Warriors were to have lodged a formal complaint, the Cavaliers could perhaps be investigated for tampering with Patrick McCaw.

PATH 3: It would be circumvention if the Cavaliers and Patrick McCaw were found to have had an under-the-table agreement (if, for example, if there was coordination between the team and player/agent on signing the offer sheet, waiving him, and then re-signing him for less money).

Each of these are serious offenses with different punishments, including fines (up to $3M for a PATH 1 violation, up to $5M for a PATH 2 violation, and up to $6M for a PATH 3 violation), forfeiture of draft picks, suspensions, prohibition of the team re-signing the player, etc.

heypartner and Vivi like this.
  18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

So the cavs will now hate GSW more now.

Its morey time.

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I've grown to be a Cavs fan :D

mikol13 and heypartner like this.
  20. heypartner

What is that? Money on the side? I mean, anything in the Offer Sheet and subsequent Uniform Player Contract was deemed legal. So, what is a financial arrangement, different than Path 3 below. Discounting Path 3 violation, is this extra, hidden money? That seems unlikely.

This one I don't get. How do you tamper with a free agent. Tampering is about players under contract, right?

This seems to be the main possibility. I don't get what in Path 1 is different. I guess just extra money, hidden from the league/contract.