1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Mar 5, 2013.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm shocked he was playing in Russia when we found him. Great job by the scouting team. Who would have thought to look over there?

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They are both very quick and relentless.

Beverley is a better long ball shooter and defender. Jackson was better at penetration and finishing at the rim. In a way, Bobby Jackson was more "reckless" in style than Beverley. Adelman loved him and was an important piece on that contending Kings team in the early '00s.

3. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Sample size? Bev taken 47 3's making 42.6%. Do you think this is the norm?

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's not that he was hidden or not getting exposier (in Europe) but it's that the Rockets did scout AND evaluate his play to see how it would cross into the NBA. The Rockets don't just turn on cable to scout that actually send scouts out to watch in person regardless if the player / prospect is in Europe or the US.

What the Rockets absolutely deserve credit for is evaluating Beverely as a player and signing him to a very cap freindly contract when other teams are signing comparatively effective point guards that are already in the NBA for 2 or 3 or 4 times more than what Beverely is going to make. Plus the Rockets are the team that beleaved enough in Beverely to bring him back to the states.

The Rockets absoluteley deserve credit.

5. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I agree with this ^^ but he is not better than Lin and will not take his starting spot.

#45 Billionzz, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

No one in this thread has said he will, I was just curious as to if people like him on this team long term, i.e. past his current contract. I would like to see him have a role for the next 5-6 years.

7. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

we both know what the truth is, so im not even going to entertain you're bull****. I actually have a life outside of the internet, and I'm not gonna look through threads on top of thread for comments i posted many months ago to prove a point.

8. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

It is players like Delfino, Beverley, Lowry, Dragic, Parsons, Landry, Budinger, Greg Smith, etc... that make me feel extremely confident that if Morey were to trade a good amount of our players for our second All-Star that Morey would be able to build around Harden and that 2nd star relatively quickly.

9. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I bet if Clutch or whoever brings the search thread function back, you would look like a complete fool. I'm honestly hoping he brings it back..................

10. Billionzz

I love his play, I really like that his style of play is so much different than Lin's. I don't know how good Brooks is anymore but I would think he was brought in as insurance in case of an injury and not to replace Beverley.

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I thought you said you were not going to "entertain my bull... "

Why are you so mad?

I'm simply just a Rockets' fan posting on a Rockets' fan forum.

For claiming how little time you would have to search for proof (which, if I steal other people's comparisons all of the time, it should be a quick search) you sure do have a lot of time to post your feelings.

I think you just have very convenient excuses on why you can not back up your silly little claim.

Are you going to get mad at the many posters who agreed with my thoughts on Beverley's potential? (which, isn't directly a comparison in the first place)

12. Omer

Omer Member

Bobby Jackson is the best comparison. They are both listed at 6'1 185 lbs.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Maybe you should not be the one commenting on somebody's "brain."

2 people like this.
  14. Billionzz

You can easily search any forum in google you just need to at the forum at the end of your search.

15. Rocket Booster

That's correct. However, there is something that needs to be pointed out. Just saying it that way falsely implies that this is the Rockets getting the best players.

That's actually far from true. It's true as described above, the problem is Beverley wasn't even in the top probably 100 players in Europe. So it's just a bit hard to "give a lot of credit" to the Rockets, when there are so many vastly superior players to him that are also available in Europe.

There are point guards available in Europe that are several levels superior or players to Beverley. So I think that's where the "give the Rockets a lot of credit" argument falls apart.

If they really did "good scouting" in Europe (which they obviously DON'T to anyone with even basic knowledge of the players there) they could sign some point guards that are much better than Beverley and Lin from there.

Absolutely no one in Europe considered Beverley to be one of the better players in Europe at any time he was there. Even the guy that replaced him in Spartak already puts up better numbers in the same role that he had.

So I think the problem here is the false assumption that he was a good value based on what was available. A good value for what he brings? YES.

A good value for what was available on the European market? HELL NO. So that's where it's really hugely wrong to say the Rockets deserve any credit for that signing.

Because in terms of him producing for what his cost is or his role - sure he's a good signing. But they also could have signed much, much, much better players than him from Europe, which they didn't.

So I don't see the logic in giving credit for such a signing. Not when I can name plenty of other point guards in Europe that blow him out of the water and that could have been signed instead.

It's actually quite a bad signing, in fact, if you would compare it to what is available from Europe.

16. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Cool story BRO!

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

this world would have been much better if you had not been born.

18. jocar

jocar Member

Names?...

19. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Beverley, due to his contract, is definitely the overall better value. But TG was probably the overall better player. I think the decision was purely on $$$ to swap places.

20. Rocket Booster

Too many to list that are better than him. Let's not even focus on point guards in Europe that are better than Beverley (a lot), let's just focus on ones that are significantly better than him.

Jamon Lucas
    Vassilis Spanoulis
    Marcelo Huertas
    Milos Teodosic
    Bo McCalebb
    Bobby Brown
    Anton Gavel
    Walter Hodge

I won't count Dimitris Diamantidis here because he plays about 50/50 as a point guard / point forward. But he's also significantly better.

I'm just talking point guards in Europe that are far better. The list of point guards in Europe as good or better (but not significantly better) is very long.