1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley starting (again), Jeremy 6th man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketPowerNick, Nov 7, 2013.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's the Lakers. Who do they have in the back court? It's all Who He Play For? again.

'

2. dxdx

dxdx Member

No, expect offense to stagnate more. After the past few games with TT, it seems the marginal benefit of having PB in is diminishing. Sure defense improves, but at a greater cost to offense. In any case, its still too early to tell, but I have the feeling that TT is not as effective as its made out to be.

3. bws

bws Member

I agree. And what of the budding chemistry with Howard? I think that's being overlooked. Bev off the bench with wreckless abandon was a thing of beauty. He seems somewhat more restrained starting but we'll see more with each start. Just hope Bev is 100 percent healthy.

4. Fighton

Fighton Member

it may very well be. i'm not saying it's not.

just tired of the narrative that's been told since last year when what we've seen so far this year contradicts that. yeah, the narrative "fits" the decision, but other than cp3, lin has played great defense on opposing pgs as well(0 pts from two other pg's he faced, 6 from lillard), and bev has improved quite a bit on his offense too but to be fair, we haven't seen him much this year, period.

we have no idea why mchale made the decision since he never came out and rationalized it. and he doesn't have to. he's the coach - it could just be his gut decision, who knows. it could just be shear energy - we have no idea and the numbers don't make it clear either so it's prob not a decision based on stats (nor should it be).

but to state the reasons as facts and points to the deficiencies of both of these players even though what we've seen to date doesn't coincide with that (the numbers don't either), just bothers me. to lin, it's like "wait i shut down 3 pgs in 4-5 games and i'm still hearing that i can't play D?" while to bev it's like "wait i defer to a better player in harden, that means i can't create?".

keep in mind, morey needs to sell the narrative to back his coach but it wasn't his decision and he made that clear (i thought it was interesting that he said that).

i'm 100% open to seeing how this plays out and if we're winning, awesome. just tired of pretending we know the reason and keep on harping on the "perceived" deficiencies of these guys as if they're facts.

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

It's not even about them. If anything, this is all about Dwight (even though no one's talking about him, cuz apparently all people care about are Lin/Bev)

6. Rox7

Rox7 Member

JL didn't lose his starting job, and he will not have it back by playing better than PB. It's his role by design.

7. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Indifferent.

Lin and Asik will both be out of Houston in a year so I won't even bother to argue with some of the ppl. It is what it is.

Lin doesn't have the support of the coach and most local Rox fans. It is obvious. It is just a matter of time he is out of town.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I have no clue what you're talking about. I hope both Lin and Bev have big games, and I hope the rest for everybody else on the team too (especially Dwight, which I've said numerous times in multiple other threads). I just thought while everybody was picking apart one or the other, I'd send both of them positive vibes. You know, like a fan. ;)

9. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

Who knows maybe his career will take off.

10. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Your 6th man

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

and calvin murphy thought bev should come off the bench with his spark and energy, so the "fit" is not as obvious to everyone.

12. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

The biggest place Lin gets offense is from driving, and twin towers clogs that up. Next place is from making the pass and Harden has the ball most of the time.

Honestly, Lin's greatest value is in leading the team (offensively) when Harden is off the court, just as Asik's greatest value is as defensive anchor when Howard is off the court. Meanwhile, Beverley's greatest value is in on-ball defense, and the twin towers are the grouping that needs that the most if it is going to work.

If you are going to maximize point differential, you have to at least try it out that way.

13. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Got it Daryl

14. Fighton

Fighton Member

expect harden to chase blake around bunch of screens. i think they saw the clippers game. hope harden is ready to do that.

15. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

if that happens please switch defenders with bev....

16. landryfans

landryfans Member

Bev against worst PG in the league, no excuse this time .

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I didn't even realize this game was on TNT.

Lets go Bev :cool:.

18. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

Lin just needs to continue to be aggressive off the bench and look to score some. I hope he gets more minutes than he did last year. Who knows maybe he will be like J. R. Smith or Gibnobli.

19. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

I agree with this completely... and I don't look at the decision in terms of deficiencies but rather in terms of strengths. Lin's greatest strength is on offense and Beverley's is on defense. That doesn't mean either one is chopped liver in the area that is not their strength.

20. bws

bws Member

I think Beverley's greatest strength is fire/energy and he's secure with the ball and has minimum turnovers. But defensively, Lin has played better than Beverley so far this season. To be fair, Bev hasn't played much so that may change.