1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Patrick Beverley] Mavericks' Top Free Agent Target

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vstexas09, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

When the hell will the mavs realise Devon harris is a beast

2. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

The Mavs can have Beverley. Then we'll have the money to sign someone that can play PG. Heck, I'd take a player like Monte Ellis in a heartbeat.

3. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

BTW, lots of good FA's this offseason. Honestly, I hope Morey passes on Bev and signs a player like Brandon Knight who is only 23-years-old and averaging 17 ppg. Resign Brewer and let Smith walk if he demands too much. He can easily be replaced by a FA like Milsap or West. And if Dwight can't get back to full strength it's time to start thinking about the future by trading him and picking up a guy like DeAndre Jordan. That may be dreaming but one can dream, right?

Oh, and while Morey is at it, how about signing a FA like Wes Matthews to back up Harden. He would not only provide solid scoring and defense but would take away one of their primary weapons against Harden.

4. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Didn't read anything after the 1st page. Saw this. Can someone tell me if this is sarcasm or not? lol

5. gigantism

gigantism Member

No one with any sense would believe this drivel. The Mavs, like any team, would have interest in Beverley at the right price. He's got the reputation of a 3-D guard that wouldn't command a $10M+ premium, so he'll definitely have a market.

When it comes to the Mavs, pretty much their ENTIRE roster except for Parsons, Dirk, and Harris are free agents. At this point they've done enough dumpster-diving for talent that even retaining everyone will be a challenge. The Mavs would have around $42M (thanks to Bird Rights) to divvy up between Rondo, Monta, and Tyson - which given that they are all on the downsides of their primes seems fairly realistic. I'd imagine they'd try to retain Amar'e with the MLE and Aminu or Barea at the BAE, but as they'd be operating over the cap at that point. Everyone else would have to be on a minimum contract.

So unless Bev is willing to go for Dallas for the minimum, I don't see him being a Mav.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , the Rockets wont likely have any money to spend in the free agent market.

They'll be in a situation where the start the offseason over the cap & only have the MLE to acquire or retain talent and the potential players that the MLE will be used on are Josh Smith & KJ McDaniels.

Bottom line , if they keep Brewer (Early Bird) , Terry (Bird) , KJ & possibly Smith .... You almost have to hold onto Beverley because you have no cap space nor salary exceptions to fill the position with .... much less enough to upgrade the spot.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Clearly, Cuban hates Morey and the Rockets and is trying to hurt them more than help Dallas. Maybe he thinks he can do both. I am not a huge Bev fan, but if money is tight, who is going to be his replacement?

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Nick Johnson.