1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley is starting at PG in Manila against the Pacers (UPDATED w/ CF Article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moose, Oct 10, 2013.

1. NYK Fan

NYK Fan Rookie

[​IMG]

2. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This. Interestingly, many Asian Americans ballers I have spoken to have directly told me that they don't think much of Lin's game, including two personal friends.

3. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Sellouts who hang out with racist, confirmed.

4. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This is largely true. But for McHale, a factor would be whether he informed Lin or ran this by him before he made the move. Of course McHale makes all of the decisions like any boss would, but it is smart practice for any decision maker to at least socialize major decisions with your employees who are affected. In a quick camera shot, Lin looked pretty happy at the end of the game, so I'm thinking that all is well.

5. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

like that kid from china . who made that video i am not jeremy lin. The dude is now struggling to even play on his high school team. What a loser.

6. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I'm a huge Lin fan but need to defend flaming here, as I think that he is generally a good poster. I think we all need to relax. Ultimately, we don't know what McHale is thinking but based on Clutch's article, it seems to me that McHale wants to get as many people going as possible, which means he needs Lin to help facilitate DMo, Casspi, Brooks, and others' games, just like the way he brought to life the games of Jeffries, Fields, Novak, and numerous others during Linsanity. Lin's play is infectious, and he is the ultimate team player, so as long as he is surrounded by other team players, he will excel and drive the whole team to excel.

7. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

what a way to be become a starter - stink up your role off the bench as a playmaker. soo much that they have to add somebody else which does it better . Heck maybe they should have Brooks/Cannae replace him and start Lin. Lets experiment with that.

8. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Most amateur athletes are delusional and don't realize how good any pro is compared to them. Dominating on your block vs NBA is quite different. They have no idea. I didn't play BBall in college but was an All American. Even at the college level compared to amateurs is miles apart already.

9. duteman

duteman Member

McHale can do these experiments because Lin is not a self entitled diva. if another pg getting paid lin dollars is getting benched there'd be articles and tweets galore.

instead of flaming mchale i say give lin credit for allowing the coach to coach. like others have said you can flame mchale for his mistake or give him credit after we have a larger sample because this is HIS move.

Winning is all i care about and lin getting solid minutes...i am a lin fan and own a signed lin jersey. I'd like them to take it all so my jersey will be worth muchos dineros to some die hard asian fan :)

10. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Favorite Rockets Team (since '80):

PG: Lin
    SG: Drexler (Harden)
    SF: Sampson (Parsons)
    PF: Malone
    C: Olajuwon

another asian confirmed

11. kcd

kcd Member

Exactly how is that fair to Lin. Because his back-up from last year, can't run the offence, he loses his starting spot? Why not find a vet who can do that? If Rockets value keeping Bev at all cost even to playing Lin as the back-up, then please trade Lin.

12. kcd

kcd Member

run the second unit offence.

13. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I agree. Beyond that, I am starting to sense a deep rooted by certain Asian Americans against the ability of Lin. It is almost as if they can't see Lin's quickness, size, or court vision, perhaps because they buy into various media myths about Asians/Asian Americans having been raised in the US. Maybe I should not be so surprised since they were indeed raised here and probably faced the same stuff on the courts that Lin did.

14. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

That would indeed put me in the majority of the world.

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

It's called resource management. The difference of Lin and Bev in the starting lineup is minimum. But the difference of those two in the 2nd unit is night and day. Take off your LOF hat for a moment, which way do you go if you're running the team?

But for the sake of everybody, I hope Lin stay in the starting lineup. If we have a such drama going for a pre-season game, I shudder to imagine what would happen if it happened in a regular season game.

16. trock

trock Member

If that's really the whole argument, Bev should be worried about his backup job.

17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If I were McHale, I'd still start Lin, but manage the rotation smartly so that he gets to play with the 2nd unit more. That would make everybody happy, and the team would also benefit more.

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Because he can be an adequate starter? No, I don't think so.

19. torocan

torocan Member

That's the easy/obvious answer. Start Lin, then rotate his minutes so he gets more play time with the 2nd unit. Not much different than Lin sitting early so Harden was playing heavy minutes with the 2nd unit last season.

Everything that you could want to achieve in terms of line ups can be achieved without changing the announced starters but instead through minutes management.

It's what probably should have happened in Manila. It's probably what should happen going forward unless you have decided to make Beverley the undisputed starting point guard.

As for closing line ups, that should definitely be situation specific. Sometimes it's going to make more sense to have Beverley close, other times Lin. The same *should* apply to Harden and Dwight (though might be less so with Dwight since Asik's FT shooting isn't exactly anything amazing either).

We'll see if McHale is willing to apply the same sort of willingness to sit players when Harden and Dwight are having poor nights as Pops is when it comes to Timmy, Manu and TP.

20. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Lin starting and making sweet plays with Dwight is a good thing. Bev simply doesn't have the same passing skills and basketball IQ Lin has.

Lin running with the second unit and still giving us a strong playmaker/scorer is a good thing. Our second team is better with Lin.

Lin is the best PG on the team. He should start because it gives us the best chance to take control of the game right off the bat and build up a lil lead before the second squad comes in. However, Lin defers to the other stars on the team too often and thus doesn't get to show his Linsanity abilities as much.

Ideally, I think he should start but be the first guy to come out. Then bring in Bev with all of his speed and energy. Then bring Lin back in with the second unit for a while. Then stagger them. It's not like we pull all the starters at once anyways. Then Lin gets his 30 min and Bev gets 15-20.