1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley is starting at PG in Manila against the Pacers (UPDATED w/ CF Article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moose, Oct 10, 2013.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Probably the same stuff those people that think Lin is superstar who doesn't get the chance because of that meanie with the beard are smoking...

Point is neither Patrick or Jeremy are All-Stars, they are both solid players but I honestly think there is to much debate about this, Lin may start but Bev will finish. Its really that simple.

2. jedicro

jedicro Member

Umm...Lin had the arguably the best game of anybody on the court.

Who cares if he starts or not. If he still gets 30+ minutes as I expect him to he can still earn that contract. Especially if he plays like he did yesterday.

1 person likes this.
  3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Why would you post such ridiculous stuff like this?

1 person likes this.
  4. jocar

jocar Member

You and Morlick are taking this "Hero of Asia!" fantasy way too far. You watched the game, watched the fans, and heard the crowd, and still try to convince yourself that Lin's reception was tame because all the loud ones already left out of anger? Are you mentally ill? Don't make Filipinos come across as rabid fanboys who would hate someone they don't even know just because he started the black kid instead of the asian. We aren't that shallow or dysfunctional. Go find another asian country to stroke yourself with.

I'll post these again, since you chose to ignore them the first time.
    http://forum.philboxing.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236509
    http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94
    http://forums.interbasket.net/showt...ets-and-Pacers-due-to-play-in-the-Philippines
    http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612565
    http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628755
    http://www.gameface.ph/forumdisplay.php?528-National-Basketball-Association-(NBA)

Find me these legions of pissed off Filipinos and post the links. And go convince my relatives that they were angry they wasted all that money because they only got to see 6 All-stars/Olympians and 3 hall of famers, Clyde, Bird and Mchale. I'll wait right here.

SMDH, some of you sure know how to turn friends and supporters into enemies. I'm sure Lin is very grateful for that!

5. LAC

LAC Member

I would hate to be Lin's agent right now. There is no win for him as Lin's agent.
    If Lin sucks, he would be demoted even further. Bad Business!
    If Lin plays well with the bench, he will be stuck with the 2nd unit. Bad Business!
    Agent (A): My client is a well known Asian American basketball player. He can help you expand your business in the Asian market.
    Asian Businessman (B): Great. Is he a starter?
    A: He is a major contributor on a title contending team.
    B: So he doesn't have a ring and he is a bench player.
    A: He is starting material but the bench needs his contribution more.
    B: If he is good enough, he would be starting. I wouldn't even allow my son to get anything less than 1st place. You want me to use this guy who is 6th on a team that is still searching for a ring. Our discussion is over.

6. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Morlick huh? lol

Try again...

when did I say legions of filipinos where pissed of about lin not starting?

This one?
    or this one?

please sharpen your reading comprehension...

7. Billionzz

I'm pretty confident that Lin will be the starter when the regular season comes around, because he is the better player.

This 6th man stuff is not all that people try to make it out to be. If it was such a great idea every team would have one of their top five players as a sixth man. Teams know that you start your best five position players and that gives you the best chance for winning.
    I think not everyone but for the most part the people that are saying play Lin as the sixth man are people that where never Lin fans ( I didn't say LOF's) in the first place or they are big fans on Beverley. I'm a big fan of Beverley but I know his best place would be coming in off of the bench.

All of that aside I'm really pleased to see that both Lin and Beverley have brought their game up over the summer. This should be a great year for Rocket fans.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Lin looks shredded out of his mind. Bev is doing everything we expect. its a good 'problem' to have.

Also I agree that Lin will most likely be the starter, but Bev is sure to get alot of time with the starting unit.

9. Billionzz

I agree with you, I figured they would both get better over the summer but from what I have seen so far it looks they they both took a big step forward. Hopefully it plays out that way over the course of the season.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

There are a few "6th men" in the hall, his coach included....

The role generally requires a team with sufficient depth and a level of skillset duplication with a superstar, the goal being to keep that skillset in play at all times.

11. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Trust me, if Lin went out with that same celebrity, he'll get 10 times more publicity.

Asian girls don't read Seventeen.

12. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Thanks for the info/insight......He's very much an unproven coach......but when he trolls some people the mob gets excited......Karma......Karma......

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

It is not a great idea for every team - but when you have two stars on the team that demand the ball a lot, and you have another guy that is his best with the ball in his hands, you might try it.

San Antonio did it with Ginolbili, OKC did it with Harden, Dallas did it with Terry for some time, LAC did it with Crawford, NYK did it with JR Smith. It is not a rare thing to do.

But you only do it, if you don`t have a big drop off by starting another guy. Lin and Beverly are close. Lin is better, sure, but with the starting lineup, there is not a big drop off. So you don`t lose a lot, but have the possibility to gain a lot, since you have someone that can light it up with the second team.

I am not saying we have to do it. All I am saying that it is an idea worth considering. At the very least we should always have either Harden or Lin at the court. A second unit with Beverly, Garcia, Caspi, Dmo, Asik will have a real hard time scoring...

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Im not a Lin fan like that, however since he is on the Rockets I pull for him as well every other player on this team. I just dont agree with McHale's tactic here. What is the hiding agenda behind this. He is not going to do any experiments with Chandler Parson coming off the bench. LOL but hey he is the Coach so be it. My thing is the starting lineup should already be set in stones.

15. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

this is agood problem to have and i am delighted that rockets are this good...i like Lin but I also like to watch the greatest fighter amongst the rockets beverely...the guy is fearless..he is a spectacle to watch....

16. Garner

Garner Member

I personally like Lin a lot in a rockets uniform, but if/when he gets traded one of my first thoughts will be "finally the LOFers will move on". Collectively, the LOFers detract from this board. Smh.

17. trock

trock Member

And here's the flip side of that. The guy played great and instead of commending him on making the first unit as well as the second unit look great in the first two games, the same guys who were taking every chance to crap on him now want to convince everyone he should go to the bench for his own good. Lol. C'mon, I personally don't care too much how this turns out (though I think Lin should start), but the hypocrisy of some posters is hilarious. The fact is, the first unit looked great with Lin, the second unit looked great with Lin. If that were Bev we're talking about, the same posters suggesting Lin would be a great 6th man would be clamoring for Bev to start. The stuff on here is way too predictable.

18. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Mchale played on teams that did just that from what I can see from past film. The guard came over the half court line and passed the ball. Then Mchale or Bird would get the ball. It was a big mans game. Lowry said that he wanted out because he felt Mchale was limiting him.
    Mchale coaches the way he was taught when he played. So he wants the ball inside.

19. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Just curious! Not contentious. Can you name the many teams that Bev would start on, so I can compare him with there current starting PG guard.

20. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Hope this helps: