1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley Highlights vs. Mavericks 1/16/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I watched all three of his D-League games and I was amazed at how easily he was able to step on the floor with a team he had never played with and immediately was able to fit in and make plays. What we saw from him last night was not a fluke, the kid can play. I think he is the closest thing to a pure point guard this team has.

He is a very good ball handler, and is good at finding the open man. He can and does shoot three pointers. In three games with RGV he shot 37% from long range, and in his final game he was 5-7 in three pointers. He is very quick and can drive the lane with ease. However, I don't know if he is a strong finisher at the rim. Frequently he would drive into the lane and instead of taking it to the basket he would pass out to an open man. He's not very big, so he may be concerned about getting his shot blocked at the rim, so he tends to pass the ball instead of go for the layup. Also, he does play defense is is very active and works hard to stay in front of his man.

Three D-league games is not enough to know for sure about what he can and cannot do, but I was very impressed with what he did with the Vipers. He doesn't play like a rookie, he looks like he knows what he's doing, and likes to take charge and lead the team. I know some people won't like me for saying this, but my assessment is that I think it's a possibility that at some point he could become our starting point guard. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it's a possibility. If he can shoot the three ball at a good percentage, he will get big minutes, because the rest of his game is pretty darn good.

I think Douglas has done a very good job for the Rockets, but it's clear that Douglas will be traded or not brought back next year. Douglas is pretty good, but Beverley can do the same things and is cheaper. It looks like Lin and Beverley are going our point guards.

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

the fact that we can even talk like this blows my mind...we pulled this dude midseason from oversees...are the rest of the gms sleeping? We had lin, Greg Smith, now beverly ... i like our scouting team.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Reminds me of Aaron Brooks, but can pass.

4. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

Love that intensity, very heady, in the game, awesome first step and they called him for travel on one of those drives but he make get that break from other refs. Seems to make good decision... and looks like he is hungry to proves he belongs. If he can keep up that intensity, he can make a solid ccontribution.

5. duteman

duteman Member

Pretty excited about having a real backup pg! This guy is eurostyle with athleticism. Tony D can now rotate in as a SG and stay in attack mode. To the next level i hope.

I hope this allows harden and lin to get more rest because they are looking tired during this losing streak

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This is sounds similar to last last year preseason Jeremy Lin showing way more in way limited minutes than Jonny Flynn did in VERY limited time. And it actually wasnt a stretch to think Lin woulda been a solid player with more time.

I'm taking a cautious approach of small sample size "judge-later". But he might can give a little of the Von Wafer / Bobby Jackson type contribution, who knows

(I wouldnt call him the best pure point guard on the team while saying his best comparison is Aaron Brooks or Toney Douglas. And whats "pure point guard" mean anyway, Scott Machado was the best "pure" point guard of anyone.)

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

The good ol lazy 'knee jerk' denounce. Its really lazy and dismissive. Theres a thing called the 'eye test' and this kid jumps off the HD screen. Alot of criteria determines whether its flash or trendy.

His activity and overall skillset would suggest Bevs trendy, look at his effort on both ends, high activity both ways.

He keeps his dribble alive in the paint and look to pass first ala the top PG's in the game, no way am I putting him on that level but its reasonable to project.

Love his defensive intensity, Douglas-esque, and his block shows he can change the game on that end, potentially, Im impressed.

His passes are crisp and you better be alert and ready (somethin Asik may have issues with).

Ill be watching with interest

8. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Only player on the team with any energy. We will definitely need more of that in the next few weeks.

9. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

I do agree sample size is small, but he earn playing time for next B2B. Like to see him get 16 mpg on the next 2 games and then judge again.

10. jocar

jocar Member

We can always count on Morey to wring in the high character, undervalued guys.
    it's fate!

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

All of this from such an incredibly small sample. Remember when Jones had that monster poster & Jodie Meeks & CF was slurping him hard. And then we he got playing time Terrence was so very "meh".

The problem with the eye test is you see what you want to see.

Anyway, we had scott the answer machado, siva the pg of our future just need a new name for beverly :rolleyes:

12. Comic Book Nerd

Actually he did get called for it once

13. Comic Book Nerd

Agreed. Sitting in for that long wasn't a good move.

I like giving Beverly some time, but he was in WAY too long. And straight up that decision cost us the game.

14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I put this in the Millsap Gortat thread a few days ago

15. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I wouldn't mind experiment Beverley with Harden in the starting line up. Not that I Lin is worse player. I just think his play style can spark some runs at beginning of game. Bottom line is Harden needs to move off ball and coach needs to trust Beverley and let him be the true PG. Lin can come off bench does his thing with TD as spot up shooter.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

He is a shooter, Clutch. He was shooting over 50% on three with 5 attempts a game in Europe. He can nail those open jumpers.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So the Rockets just picked up a quick guard who is strong on the ball defensively, is good at penetrating and finding people with the dish, and can nail the outside shot?

That's a pretty good combo for a backup PG. Nice work by the Rockets.

18. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

My wife didn't know who PB was, so she assumed it was TD (our TV's low screen resolution). At one point she jumps up in excitement and yells, "wow, Toney Douglas just keeps getting better and better... love his energy!" I love that my wife loves the Rockets too!

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

I am not familiar with ball overseas at all but isn't there a difference in distance for the 3 point line?

20. rokit

rokit Member

he was shooting 50% in eurocup (played 6 games), but only shot 29.3 and 27.3% in russian league and united league (played 8 games in each).

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/gameCent/p/eventid//langid//leagueid/RUS/ot/2/pid/6038964/roundid//season/2013/tid/6001614/tidstat/6001614/playerView.html

also, the 3pt distance is shorter in europe.