1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley has opted for surgery will miss season and playoffs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It all comes down to finances and options. If you are Beverly, you are going to be looking to get paid. He hasn't made the kind of money that most players have. He does not have the finances to be set for life at this point. What that means is if a bad team with cap space offers even $2,000,0000 or $3,000,000 more than the Rockets over the course of the contract, Pat has to take it. That is big money for Patrick.

From the Rockets perspective, they have Smith and Brewer and Pablo all free agents AND you want to add another impact player. What impact player is available and what position do you want to upgrade? You want to upgrade at PG. What possible player can the Rockets get? My guess is Sergio Lull unless something unusual comes up. So if Lull is a Rocket, do you want to spend money on Beverly? Wouldn't you rather spend far less on Prigs and then try to bring back Smith and Brewer?

It just looks very unlikely that the Rockets bring back Beverly.

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This is just not true, no matter how many times you type it. His defense has been good at times (and was much better as of late), but anyone with eyes could see he was not the same coming off those early hamstring injuries. He will definitely be missed and remains my favorite player on this squad, but no point in trying to rewrite history.

3. KlutchQT

B-E-V-E-R-L-E-Y. Come on. Year three.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wellllll f***. But, I thought this is what would happen.

5. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Goodbye Bev. Great time here in Houston.

6. rocketsmetalspd

Key will be how well Johnson can get going on the O side of the court with 9 games remaining. His D will be a constant and he plays well in keeping in front of his man.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am sad to hear this, but he has taken the right step. I wish Beverely would be available for the playoffs. I don't think this is the end of him as a Houston Rocket. I expect him to be back with us, once he is healthy again.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it was this play that got him the "Big Dick" nick.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eQKS1tNjZUY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets are 7 points better per 100 with Beverley off the floor and Harden on than with both of them together. Def rating 5 points better</p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/582607475813154816">March 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Nook

Nook Member

Beverly's defense has not been consistently good this season, it has been very up and down. Also, James Harden's improvement on defense has been because of the addition of Ariza and Harden's hard work.

Pablo is better at running a team that Beverly. He is a better ball handler, far better pick and roll player and dictates pace very well. He is just a better offensive player. As far as Prigs not being as good a 3 point shooter, he is a CAREER 40% shooter from 3 point range and was shooting 38% from downtown this season when we traded for him. He has struggled here, but it is a very small sample size. Prigs is a good shooter. Also, neither Prigs or Beverly is good at finishing in the paint.... and neither is expected to.

Beverly will be missed, he provided depth, defense and intensity.... but the Rockets are capable to withstand his loss more so than other rotational players.

11. KlutchQT

Nick was shooting 28% from 3 in RGV. That does not incite me to chorus. He needs to be in the gym making those 200 3s w/ Josh.

12. dmoneybangbang

I'm more worried about the defense than anything. Nick Johnson and KJ McDaniels certainly have the speed and athleticism to guard the PGs of the West, more so the latter. I hope McDaniels gets some playing time before the playoffs as he has the ability to guard 1-3s. He needs to take on Bev's, "Mr. 94 feet mentality" and stay in the gym like JSmoove with his 3 pointers.

13. KlutchQT

Nook, are you just purposely misspelling his name?

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I agree. Smith and Brewer have been critical to this team's success. We're probably hovering around the same place as OKC right now if not for the play of those two. We must bring them back. And even though I don't think Terry's been very good since January, if he doesn't cost too much, he may be worth resigning as well. His leadership cannot be discounted and the fact that he was the only other person in that Howard/Harden meeting speaks volumes.

Plus there's the simple fact that Bev's play has been lackluster this season. He's not a reliable 3-point shooter. His midrange game is weak. His floater was hardly utilized. He's even streaky at the foul line. And his defense which was his calling card his first 2 years here has regressed this season. Given that the guy's gonna want a substantial bump in pay this summer, he's just not worth it. We need someone at PG we can count on to make open jumpers off of Harden double and triple teams(i.e. a Kenny Smith type). This team would be almost unguardable if we had that.

15. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Speedy recovery ... Not going to miss him too much. Jet and Pab can run the show. If needed, Corey can slide in as two and Harden can play point. Nick Johnson has shown some signs of defensive ability.

17. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO

For some reason I always leave out the last "e", it isn't out of disrespect.

I know quite a bit about Pat and am a huge fan of his, because he plays like he cares. I know where he went to high school, college, why he left school early, even where he played overseas.... for some reason I always spell his name wrong.

I will try to put the "e" in.

18. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

Sucks for him as a competitor. I'm sure he wants to be out there more than anything.

Hopefully things work out, we'll be having to play against some really great point guards. I'll guess we can just hope that Johnson is a gem.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Going to have to be PG by committee, Terry, Prigs, and Nick. I can envision all 3 playing with each around 20 min. Terry brings shooting, Prigs runs the team the best, and Nick brings the D.

I'll take it considering it could be worse. Morey's deadline deal for Prigs is looking extra good now!!!

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

That sucks. No way to paint it as a good thing whether you're a Beverley basher or not.

Not a season-breaking injury, but in the 2015 West you can't afford any injuries.

On the plus side, he was clearly the most expendable starter given his complete lack of offensive impact. The O will be fine. The D will have to adjust, and Houston has the right personnel to make some of that adjustment, but maybe not all.