1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley has opted for surgery will miss season and playoffs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Mar 30, 2015.

1. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Not just the wrist injury but all his injury history together. He is a bench player for the vast majority of teams (and ideally for us too). Are there that many teams looking to pay for a often injured backup PG?

I'm just saying his value to us could be larger than his market value depending on the situation.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, i won't be too hard on him.

He's been thrust into a starter role for a team that wants to contend and that's asking a lot of him.

Reminds me of the Ariza situation where so many people hated him and I said then he's a good player (and he's proving it) but the Rockets then signed him to be a focal point of the offense. A huge mistake. Now that he's in a role more suitable to his talents. (Starter, defender, occasional offense) he looks more like Ariza.

Beverly's role should be off the bench energy. A PG that comes in, plays defense, hits a shot or two...sits back down.

3. Houston79Astro

I expect to see bev resigned next year. The guy would be an excellent backup point guard. He has been one of my favorite rockets for the last couple of years, because he plays with such intensity. From Russia to Houston. :(

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

atleast this is out of the way and now the team can get the rest of the players back healthy and the team as a whole can hopefully get in a good rhythm going into the playoffs.

best of luck to PB to get back healthy next season.

6. CertifiedTroll

Man, I wish we had Brooks, Livingston, or Cannan right now. What is Earl Boykins up to? :()

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Can we get disabled player exemption for him and sign someone? The exemption won't be very big since it's based on on Bev's salary but it's better than nothing.

8. hakeemthagreat

This is why I love the guy!! Toughness can't be measured w/ analytic stats. Get well buddy!!

9. moose

moose Member

I remember last year, a lot of us were worried Beverly was going to be out for the Playoffs. Turns out he did play, and was an absolute none factor. Im confident we will be fine without him.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But how much will it cost to resign him? You don't wanna sink too much money into a backup PG. Especially when you still need a starting PG which costs way more(look at what Dragic is gonna command this summer for God's sake!).

Remember, we still need to resign Brewer and Smith and maybe even Terry given the importance of his veteran leadership. Where are they gonna find any cash leftover for Bev?

Unless the Rockets have settled on bringing back Bev as the starter next year which personally I think is insane for a supposed title contender, he has no place on this team. Not for the bump in pay he's gonna be expecting.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That people continue to clamor for Canaan is so amusing to me.

13. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Are we able to pickup any PG from free agency at this point?

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Actually, his injury and limited effectiveness in last year's playoffs did play one major factor in the Portland series. It required McHale to give more minutes to Lin which cost us dearly.

At least this time around we have Terry and Pepperoni replacing him. Those two have their limitations as players, but one thing we know for sure is they'll never cough up a win like Lin did in Game 4 or nearly blow one like in Game 3 when he missed that coast-to-coast layup.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Let Beverley walk, draft Jerian Grant from ND and call it a day.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Gotdamn man, gotdamn. Pringles and Jet guarding CP3, Russ, Curry, Lillard, Parker...heres to hoping Nick Johnson is a stud on defense.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Regarding Bev's future in this team,

IF :

1. Nick Johnson somehow will transform into a FMVP type of performance.

2. Or somehow Morey will pull a trade to get a 10 mil class PG.

Then yes, I believe Bev will be gone.

IF NOT,

there is no way Morey or McHale will trust a rookie starter next year to replace him (including Johnson), nor PG you can find out there like Sessions or Bayless.

18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Weird that he played 56 games this year, the same # of games he played last year. Sometimes that bulldog effort makes you exert yourself past what your body can handle, and you get weird injuries like this one.
    Guy tore up his wrist by contesting a shot. I mean wth?!:confused:

19. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Injured player exemption, sign Earl Boykins? :p

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's just really too bad, our ceiling is lower with him gone.

We better hope Jason Terry can find a fountain of youth somewhere.