1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley has a torn meniscus (UPDATE: Will not require surgery, expected to return)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by loveofthegame44, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Trip

Trip Member

I can already see it: Steve Blake or Mo Williams goes off against us in a first-round playoff game next month and CF collectively whines over Lin's poor D and the poor sad fate of Beverley.

Not that this hasn't been a taxing season on the Rockets injury-wise, but we've beaten several of the top teams when missing one or more key contributors. The Bev injury undoubtedly hurts our chances at going deep this year, but even then those chances still look pretty good. I'm confident in the team going forward and DM's ability to plug the hole in the lineup. Go Rockets!!

2. Jt29

Jt29 Member

The rockets curse continues... First tmac, then yao, ohh geez now bev? What does this organisation has to do to sweep the curse?:(

3. novaman

novaman Member

Interesting and sad to see that when Lin gets injured, the narrative around here is that he is "weak".

When Bev gets injured, the narrative is, "he plays so hard he pushes himself to the limits of his physical capacity"

1 person likes this.
  4. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

5. Rocketfan_Dave

Rocketfan_Dave Contributing Member

Lol. You do know Lin started all season last year right. Think he avg like 13-14 pts and 6.5 assists. Lin will be fine. I'm way more worried about the back up PG spot and the bench to be honest.

And also I can't believe reading that people want Canaan to start. The dude is a rookie with like 76 total NBA minutes? And people say that there are no such things as Lin haters. 76 minutes! Unless I missed that Canaan can somehow replicate Bevs defense.

1 person likes this.
  6. Clarinetmonster

Why would it be up to a player's fans to prove what they can do on the court?

7. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Everyone?? I certainly never did and never will agree with thay statement so your logic of "everyone" is completely mislead by your own personal beliefs. I believe Lin is as good as any PG that deserves to start. I also believe the same for PB and AB, everyone of these pgs deserves a spot its just not the right situation, right team, enough spots, etc. Someone like Wiggins and Parker will immediately get bumped to starter role even if they may or may not deserve it.
    Lin would do wonders in a team like Boston where they lack scoring. However, I think PB is better for the Rockets personally because of the focus on letting Howard and Harden take 100 shots a night because they are max players.

8. quizone

quizone Member

Hope not. He will not have enough money afterwards.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

It isn't just the defense that will sorely be missed with Beverley down. It is also his 3pt shooting that helps spread the floor. I think Lin is shooting 3's at 34 percent this year.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't believe I'm writing off a deep run in the playoffs because a guy we picked up out of Russia who makes pretty close to the league minimum is out injured - but I am.

I just think Pat is the heart and soul of this team.

11. Clarinetmonster

Lin has been shooting it at better than 37% for the last 10 games - Bev for the same stretch has been at 33.9%. We'll be ok.

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Personally... I am not too concerned about Lin. It's what comes afterwards that really, really scares me... Canaan. This will be the epitome of trial by far.

McHale: "Hey rookie, you ready for minutes?"
    Canaan: "Hell yeah!"
    McHale: "Good spirit! Go chase after Westbrook, Curry, Paul, Conley, Ellis, ect!"

- 10 minutes later -

Canaan: "Coach... I'm getting killed out there!"
    McHale: "It's OK! Run harder! Defend better! Hustle!"

1 person likes this.
  13. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We are EFF'ed!!

Lin will bring the usual but IMO Its all on Caanan now...

14. chatterjb

chatterjb Member

There is no question that Bev will be missed. Even more than the semantics, his attitude on the court alone will be missed. There's no other player on this roster like him.

Personally, I think Lin will be fine. He will probably end up being a more consistent scorer than Bev was as a starter, but that's not the issue. Our perimeter defense will take a huge step down. That will put a hell of a lot more pressure on the bigs inside. Might we see the Howard + Asik combo once again?

15. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

Everyone done talking? Back to Linsanity

16. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Yep yep yep. A minor setback for a major setup. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Wolverine&amp;src=hash">#Wolverine</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TheReturn&amp;src=hash">#TheReturn</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23RedNation&amp;src=hash">#RedNation</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Beverley (@patbev21) <a href="https://twitter.com/patbev21/statuses/449936865395634176">March 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

we need this to be deciphered! what does he mean!? lol

18. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

is he actually gonna come back for the playoffs?.......

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

PLEASE KNEE GODS LET BEVERLEY COME BACK!

20. TheJet

TheJet Member

I have to shake my head at some of these posts from both the pro and anti Lin camps.

Isn't this thread about Beverley's injury? I realize that the Lin/Pat debate has been raging all season but damn. Losing Pat for the season would suck. We're a better team with him playing. His intensity has impacted the team in ways some folks clearly just ignore or don't understand.

Spinning injury news as a reason for people to spout their agenda based bashing just really rubs me the wrong way. The same goes for any player. I didn't care for it when people were on Lin last year for his playoff injury either.