1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley, Eurocup MVP to join our Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 23, 2012.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/12/rockets-close-to-signing-point-guard-beverley

2. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Machado was good in D League and he did ok his 1st game IMO. I don't want machado cut period. Being a fast paced team like we are I believe he can be a solid backup because it fits his style. Don't know the logic behind this but if Machado isn't getting minutes because of Douglas and Lin what makes anyone think this guy will get pt? I just feel people on here aren't giving machado a chance based on the comments he made and not on his ability to run an offense

3. peter2012

peter2012 Member

He seems like another TD with better pass ability. He defends the way just like TD, which our coaches love it. Looks good to me.

4. Trip

Trip Member

I had just watched this documentary last month that revolved around Beverley's last year in high school (He went to the same high school as Arthur Agee of Hoop Dreams).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GRj1xQb3Ir8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. peter2012

peter2012 Member

If he is really good, Les will get him back next year with a big contract, so no worry. :grin:

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

PG's that can't shoot and can't play defense aren't of much use in the NBA. Even Rondo who is arguable the best PG in the NBA gets criticized for not being able to shoot even though he does everything else at an elite level.

7. nt24

nt24 Member

Utah needs a pg
    Sacramento has issues with Cousins
    TD has been lighting it up, especially these last few weeks
    Could be a three way where Morey sells high and buys low

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm going to assume the coaching staff and management have a better grasp on Machado's progress and potential than either you or I do.

This isn't a training camp situation where somebody HAS to be cut ala Jeremy Lin last season. They are obviously making this move because they feel it will improve the team going forward.

I, myself, haven't given up hope on Machado at least developing into a quality NBA backup, but if the Rockets are already willing to move on I'll go ahead and assume it's for the best.

9. SirKen

SirKen Member

Cousins would be poisonous for this team. I personally wouldn't want players with terrible attitudes.

10. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Beaubois played for Cholet in Europe and was considered a rising star at age 20.

Beverley is 24 same age as Beaubois today, except Beaubois has played in the NBA for 4 years.

The Rockets are signing Beverley based on a 6 game hot streak in Europe where he's averaged 12.2 points 51.1% from the field 60% from the line 50% from 3-point range.

11. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

Anyone can improve their shooting with practice. Defense is about fundementals, making them go to spots they don't want to go.
    Machado improved every year in college in every way. He was a solid 3 point shooter and shot solid overall. The shooting flaws can be fixed but me personally I don't think he needs to be a scorer. I think there is room for players who can set teammates up and push the ball. We have guys who can score already and he fits the mold of someone who an get the whole team involved IMO. Yeah I am not the coach so I don't see everything but apparently he showed enough to get recalled back to Rockets.

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

After watching the game, i don't know what to say. I like his athleticism, that's it. His footwork is like Aaron Brooks...so i don't know if he can be a good defender or not. He has good shooting stroke.

13. fattz

fattz Member

You, Sir get a 100. :grin:

14. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Problem for Machado in the D-League.

He shot 38.5% from the field, 29.7% from 3-point range, while averaging his 12.2 points 3.3 rebounds 7.1 assists 1.0 steal per game.

Not a shooter (yet) and not much of a defender. In the playoffs, point guards have to be able to do those things well. Make jump shots and defend.

Once Machado develops these NBA skills, he'll find a home in the NBA.

15. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

This is true, because Harden isn't a vocal leader like Garnet. There's no one to stop him, no vets on this team outside of Delfino who can hardly string together a sentence.

If DMC comes here he'll just be a cancer. The Rockets are not a respected organization as of late. No rings, front office is smart but that's it.

16. conquistador#11

watch the blazers or minny go after him now.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'd say you're 100% wrong.

Machado has no game. Slow, can't shoot, can't defend.

Beverly is a flat out upgrade over Machado in the 'essential' NBA categories (athleticism, shooting, defence). Morey is all about upgrading the roster, insuring against injury AND insuring against FA departure.

Bringing in Beverly does all 3 of those things, and most likely at a low cost. No idea what the guy was earning in Europe, but (by all accounts) he's a guy who WANTS to play NBA, so I'm guessing it's a minimum deal, or not much more. I'd be almost certain that there's no guaranteed amounts for 2014/15.
    If Lin or Douglas get injured, we're not stuck watching Machado fumble the ball out of bounds on his first touch.
    If Douglas jumps ship for bigger money at seasons end, we're not stuck overpaying for a backup point.

Win win win scenario for the Rockets in getting more depth at our 'skinniest' position (PG).

2 people like this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oh, and by the way, for all the morons who will say "why give up on a rookie (Machado) to get Beverly":

I'd just like to point out that Beverly is a ROOKIE.

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

The true answer has finally arrived!!!!

20. SRR21

SRR21 Member

WHICH IS WHAT?