1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley, Eurocup MVP to join our Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 23, 2012.

1. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Seems like he's truly grateful to get a chance in the NBA, even if it is for a D-League team. Someone introduce him to Royce.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

One guy is known as an offense only guy, while the other has the rep for being a defensive stopper.

3. steady

steady Member

Yes.
    To me this is a sign that the Rockets are getting more confident about the pieces that best complement their starting core of Harden/Asik/Lin.

4. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Rockets should re-sign TD and keep PB. Neither player will cost much. You need veterans to compete in the playoffs and TD is a young veteran at age 26. That's not too old for the playoffs. You need veterans to win in the playoffs.

TD has been Mr. Second Half and you need a guy like that who isn't afraid to make the big shot in a tight game.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Because he does well what the Rockets value from their point guards. He is quick, penetrates well, hits the 3 and does not waste his time with mid range jumpers. He is also a good defender that can play SG in a pinch and can really run the floor.

His negatives are not as important to the Rockets, no mid range game, mediocre distributor and raw.

6. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

I would be satisfied with patrick beverley if he turns out to be a slightly better version of bobby jackson.

7. Nook

Nook Member

So would the Rockets.

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Tony Douglas's game is like Jamal Crawford on Cocaine.

9. Progs

Progs Member

[Patrick Beverly was feature on the movie Hoop Reality(2007) and is guided by Hoops Dream star Arthur Agee Jr. as he attended the same High School... Makes you want to pull for Mr. Beverly... The movie Hoop Reality is on You Tube...B][/B]

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

you do realize that Bobby Jackson won the 6th man of the year award right? If Beverley comes anywhere close to Bobby Jackson I would be jumping for joy not just 'satisfied if he is a slightly better version' of him.

how quickly people forget

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'd be satisfied if he turned out to be a poor man's Bobby Jackson.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Maybe he meant the Rockets version of Bo-Jax.

13. Rocket Booster

I would say because he's young, very athletic, a good defender, a good rebounder, and he fits to fast basketball like the Rockets play. Although what you say about him is basically true, except I think he would penetrate very easily in the NBA with a defensive 3 seconds and no hand check rule.

It's odd that this guy signed to go to D-League though. The level he was playing at of Eurocup, United League, and Russian League is far higher than the level of the D-League. It's not the level of the Euroleague, but still, much better than D-League.

And apparently he was making a very large salary there also. So this move seems a little strange for now. There has to be some kind of verbal agreement here.

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Slightly better?lol You must be joking right? Do you EVEN know how good Bobby Jackson is? If he is any where close to Bobby Jackson, it's good enough.

15. Rocket Booster

Sorry for the double post. I just realized I can't edit my posts. I will know next time to put everything int he same post at one time. Anyway,

He is not really that good of a 3 point shooter, although he certainly has that range. I'm not sure you can say his 3 point shooting is really up this year, if you really look at the stats. Here are the stats:

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=Russia&Team=392&Page=3

Russian League (6 games): 10-31 3 PT 32.3%

VTB United League (8 games): 9-33 3 PT 27.3 %

Eurocup (6 games): 15-30 3 PT 50%

Total (20 games): 34-94 36.2%

He just happened to be shooting better in Eurocup. But you can't just use those stats, because he plays in three leagues, not one league. You can't just use stats from one of the three leagues he plays in, when you are trying to evaluate shooting efficiency.

Again though, he does have NBA 3 point range, and it's not like he's a really awful shooter off the catch and shoot, which is important when you are on a team with Harden and Lin.

But let's not judge his ability to shoot the 3, basing it just on stats from 6 games, in just one of the three leagues he was playing in.

I already explained about the 3 point stats and that it's not really true. Also, he wasn't playing in the Euroleague and did not win the Euroleague MVP. He was playing in the Eurocup and won the MVP there last year.

They are two different leagues. The Eurocup is a lower level league. For example, the Eurocup champion gets promoted to the next season's Euroleague.

Certainly, Eurocup is etter than the D-League, but there is a big difference between the level of Euroleague and Eurocup. Being Eurocup MVP is a very remote way away from being the Euroleague MVP. Because about 90% of the best players in Europe play in the Euroleague.

16. JMG524

JMG524 Member

Beverley looks impressive in this vid. Resembles TD on defense but more of a pure pg who can also penetrate and dish. Should fit in perfectly with our uptempo style.

[youtube]Wi9cwwXDWBI[/youtube]

17. Rocket Booster

He isn't a pure point guard. He's almost even more of a combo guard offensively.

18. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Early treat this morning in Reno at the D-League Showcase. Patrick Beverley here on assignment from the Houston Rockets. Killing so far.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) <a href="https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/289071054364758016" data-datetime="2013-01-09T18:08:04+00:00">January 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Nbatv is showing it

20. ERC

ERC Member

8:16min left in the game, Beverley currently has 6p/6a/5r/2s on 2-of-10 shooting in 24minutes. Uber small sample size, but seems more aggressive and plays with a higher intensity than Machado.