1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley "Clippers best team in league"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CALI_MOST_WANTD, Jul 6, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

he was an elite defender during the rare stretches he was healthy

2. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

What's wrong with being confident? Bev has never been one to back down or lack confidence and he's doing his thing.

HoustonTexas, BigO and red5rocket like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I see you're the President of the ABRA association. I believe our two organizations have a common goal.

Williamson likes this.
  4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i take everything at face value

6. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Clippers aren't even the best team at the Staples Center

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would never accuse him of holding anything back while he was on the Rockets. Not even when he was underpaid or under-offered (that he accepted).

All the best to him except for the days he plays against us.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Man - Bev is putting the Trick in Patrick with that statement...

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The bigger question is, are the best team in LA? I'm including the d league team too.

10. Chamillionaire

CP3 is the best defensive guard I have ever seen. He is everywhere. He is always at the right spot at the right time.
    As much as I loved Bev, CP3 is by far the better defender.

11. xaos

xaos Member

He was just being friendly to the guy. Relax clutchfanians

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well I don't. He is a lot like Lin, there's a lot to like in the overall package but he can't stay healthy. Doesn't matter how good he is defensively if he is sitting on the bench.

13. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Whats he supposed to say? “We are the 18th best team in the league. Im just hoping we make a run at the playoffs so we can get knocked out in the 1st round by Golden State or Houston.” Personally I love this about Wolverine. Always have. Plus the paparazzo was a Richard anyway...
    Beverley: “we have the 2 best defensive guards in the nba”
    Paparazzo: “ and you also have Patrick Beverley”
    Thats lame. Only reason he said that is to get a reaction and get a professional athlete on camera retaliating...aka he was trying to sell his footage.

da_juice likes this.
  14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Bev is an all-world hype man. He is just being himself. Good for him.

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i never understood why people disliked beverley. i agree some of the "in your face" D antics don't necessarily add actual value and sure there are better point guards, but not for the value.

he was a 3&D point guard (like most non-curry point guards who have won titles), who shot a very solid 37.5% on 3's during his time here, consistently had a positive on/off plus/minus, and was giving us about 5 win shares a year his last 2 years on a bargain basement contract. we were paying him less than 1 million per year for his first 3 years and then got him on a 4 yr/$24M contract with the cap spike coming. wins are going for $2.5M these days and beverley is getting paid about $1.25M per win.

#35 francis 4 prez, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    heypartner likes this.
  16. francis 4 prez

exactly. that's how he made the league. then kept himself in the league. this isn't a guy with all the talent in the world squandering it on stupid shots because of irrational confidence. he was a guy on the fringe of the nba who played with the irrational confidence of a guy who belonged and eventually he proved himself right.

17. munco

munco Member

he's suppose to say that though. he's one of the fiercest competitors in the league.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

do these dollar figures factor him being oft-injured and missing the playoffs as well? and i wouldn't have minded keeping him as a backup, but apparently he wanted no part of that and requested the trade last summer. to me his defense was far too often trying to get into people's heads and gambling for steals instead of just staying in front of his man and contesting shots. and offensively he often hurt us because he couldn't create open shots when james got tired or locked down.

19. francis 4 prez

the 5 win shares number is a total so it includes the effects of missing games. also, he had a very nice last playoffs with us.

sure, he couldn't do that. i agree. but pg's who hit 37.5% of their 3's, play good D (even if you think it was overrated he certainly wasn't hurting us defensively), and can create open shots don't sign for $6M/yr. at the time he signed, i doubt you could find a non-rookie contract that was producing better value for the money. extra money spent on a pg who could help harden would have been money that maybe didn't bring eric gordon or wasn't as appealing in a paul trade. if you think that using extra money on the pg position was the way to go from a team-building perspective then that's cool, but i guess i just don't understand why lots of fans (not just you) were disappointed in beverley for not having skills that he definitely wasn't being paid to have while we spent money in different areas.

20. CALI_MOST_WANTD

I just found it entertaining. Because we know it's not true. Gotta give it to him he has heart. Enjoyed his attitude as a Rocket but he might as well be saying the earth is flat too.